Default Opening loops on 69kv

Featured Sponsor

I'm tring to find out the industry standard for opening loops on 69kv.
    The work practice I know and follow is, all customer load off, test the line for no more than 1 amp, I dont open unless it's 2 miles or less of line running parellel with anouther curcuit, or 3 miles of line single circuit.
    Your imput would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Default ????

If you have no customer load,why cant you kill it, open it and then if need be heat it back up? Leaving you on the dead side to ground and work.

I aggree, if you have no load on it anyway, who cares ! kill it and cut loops dead and grounded.

We always do an amp check first as you can only drop line, not sure how far as it is not an issue here. We also no longer use loops ,instead we install 69 kv inline switches easy to operate & you can drop a longer line, but still no load.

There was a time when we usta open hot clamp jumpers to kill out a section and you had best have the load offa that. Nowadays yer doin it with either a breaker or a loadbreak switch, n most outfits wont open a line with load onnit, Kinda defeats the hole purpose of a loop system.

Default Sure.

Used to open 138 occasionally. Bolt on jumpers. Put a clamp across the jumpers and then unbolted the jumpers and then broke the arc by opening the clamp and jerking it in the clear with a shotgun.

Putting them back of course reverse procedure. Fun watching a new guy flinch when that charging current makes that nasty arc.

Did it on 34.5 a few times, about the same procedure.

Naturally no load. Used to know a VAR formula for the max but I don't remember it.

Can't remember if I ever helped do it on 69. May have, but I don't recall.

Shouldn't be any problem. Just be prepared for the arc.

Ask Swamp.

We will break parrallel on inline switches up to 27.6 kv & we always use a load bust tool at this voltage . We will not break parrallel on our 69 kv switches & even if some one wanted to there are no horns on the switches.

8. Default switching

Quote Originally Posted by lewy View Post
    We will break parrallel on inline switches up to 27.6 kv & we always use a load bust tool at this voltage . We will not break parrallel on our 69 kv switches & even if some one wanted to there are no horns on the switches.
    our switching is done in part with NPPD (nebraska public power distict), we switch the line out NPPD verifys that the load had been transferred (checking the vars) then we are clear to open the load break switch, take our working clearances and go to work!

Featured Sponsorr

Quote Originally Posted by wtdoor67 View Post
    Used to open 138 occasionally. Bolt on jumpers. Put a clamp across the jumpers and then unbolted the jumpers and then broke the arc by opening the clamp and jerking it in the clear with a shotgun.

Putting them back of course reverse procedure. Fun watching a new guy flinch when that charging current makes that nasty arc.

Did it on 34.5 a few times, about the same procedure.

Naturally no load. Used to know a VAR formula for the max but I don't remember it.

Can't remember if I ever helped do it on 69. May have, but I don't recall.

Shouldn't be any problem. Just be prepared for the arc.

Ask Swamp.
    have no clue how I missed this thread...

yeah 'door's got it square.... with the use of a pick up jumpers (thats what he's talking about by clamp big fugging difference between 'mission clamps/pickup jumpers and 'dustion stuff we prolly need to make sure our lingos' jive) it's fuggin gravy...

clamp/jumper over unbolt your loop..... holding stick to clear the loop... unclamp.... beeewahhhhhaaaappppp!!!!! clear loop over to the now deenergized line use your pickup to clamp her ass down...

rinse and repeat...

once done test and install your shunts/master grounds if required and head on over to the work site and test ground and get er done...

for what it's worth...

Edge