Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Featured Sponsor

I guess I don't see "the south" showin any hatred towards any American! My Brother (who was a "yank" like me) moved to Texas and was greeted with open arms, I've been south a time or to and had GREAT experiences with the southerners, and all the stories about the locals after a storm and their hospitality towards us wouldn't give me a feelin of bein hated?

That new Tim Magraw (excuse my spellin?) song "Southern Voice" kind of sums it up for me?

I also don't see the Confederate Flag as bein "racist" but like Swampy says it's that "political correctness" b@ll sh!t again!

I may have my head in the sand too, but I don't find the Confederate flag racist. Being a rebel is like being a cowboy. We are a country that loves cowboys and rebels. Why are posters of James dean and John Wayne popular to a generation that has to look up who they are on the internet? Because the represent us. We were rebels when we fought the Brits and we are rebels today.

The flag stands for independence. States rights, I will believe until I die, the civil war was about states rights, a liberal north that couldn't compete with the south.
    Last edited by Patriot; 05-03-2010 at 03:28 PM.

Robert E. Lee was the greatest military leader since Alexander The Great and Julius Cesar and the finest southern gentleman to ever draw a breath! He didn't surrender to Grant. Grant stole his sword and Robert E. Lee was to much of a gentleman to ask for it back.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lando View Post
    Robert E. Lee was the greatest military leader since Alexander The Great and Julius Cesar and the finest southern gentleman to ever draw a breath! He didn't surrender to Grant. Grant stole his sword and Robert E. Lee was to much of a gentleman to ask for it back.
    Lee was no doubt a great military mind, but he should have listened to Longstreet at Gettysburg. If Lee had taken Longstreet's advice and walked around Meade's right, he would have put himself between the Army of the Potomac and Washington DC. The war would surely have had a much different ending if he had.

Lee got the most out of his troops, his troops loved and revered him, but Lee was stuck in the old Napoleonic mindset that preached marching and attacking in echelon was the way to fight a war. He realized too late that Longstreet was right at Gettysburg.

Had Stonewall Jackson not been killed by his own Pickets and been at gettysburg, the outcome may have also been different.
    "It is not the critic who counts:The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena" Teddy Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Orgnizdlbr View Post
    Had Stonewall Jackson not been killed by his own Pickets and been at gettysburg, the outcome may have also been different.
    Yea I believe the same. I also think them taking too much time to take the fight North and moving the capitol from Montgomery to Richmond they would have fared better. Also the lack of the CSA to stop the USA Navy also hurt, especially Vicksburg.

Speaking of Richmond, my hometown was where they moved the CSA Armory was moved to before the war was over. It was moved from Richmond to Tallassee, Alabama and they made 500 rifles before the war was over. The Union tried to get it once but failed, and there are only 12 rifles in exsistence now in the world. I've been lucky to see 3 of them.

I personally think it's all on how you were raised. If you were raised in the real South, you might be a die hard rebel. Why I think of Alabama as being the true rebel state, might be a combination of many things. Like the black riots of the '60's, or how politics came into play. Or maybe its our music, or even football!

Florida is not the state in which holds alot or "roots" on that. Not saying Florida didn't have it's roots deep in the CW, we did. Right now, on this very weekend, there is a Civil War Reinactment. It's located in the town of Lake City. The Battle of Olustee.

http://www.olusteefestival.com/

I've done this event in the past. I even have my very own custome I wear for it!

I've done a commission of a guy who does the reinactments:

http://www.downrightart.com/Main.html

He gave me rights to some printing of cards. "Seven Pines" was the battle. I believe it was in GA. And "2nd Florida" was the division or infantry.

http://www.norfield-publishing.com/2ndFL/2FLhome.html

I'm with WC. It's our roots, our history. You can't erase that. No matter how you call it or how your ancesters lived it, it's just there. Doesn't matter what your opinion is on the issues of the CW, it's history. And you can't change history. It's a fact.

BTW, rebel flags can't be worn in our school. Not as t-shirts, jackets, bookbags, etc. It's against our school policy. And the percentage of Black Americans in our school is less than 5%.

Quote Originally Posted by LostArt View Post
    BTW, rebel flags can't be worn in our school. Not as t-shirts, jackets, bookbags, etc. It's against our school policy. And the percentage of Black Americans in our school is less than 5%.
    Its the same way here in Alabama, but most schools are black except in NE Alabama.

I wont lie when I say there was racism in my family, but I pushed it away and still have best friends that are black and would do anything for them. As for the guy on here that said his brother was welcomed to Texas from the North, well its like that with alot of people in the South but like LA said most people watch old Civil Rights footage in front of Woolworth in Birmingham and think we're still like that here.

I know I've said this before but its just like the way we were taught on the Indians in Alabama History (a required subject in this state). We were taught they were hostile and mean, but the white man just wanted to live and not be bothered. They failed to mention we TOOK the land from them and forced the Creek, and Cherokee to give up 32 million acres in Georgia and Bama alone. Andrew Jackson was considered a hero, but he massacred Indians like they were a pack of wild dogs. He even had Indian help to make him a war hero, just to turn his back on them and made them make that same march to Oklahoma that others had to take. He's scum in my book and will always be. I'm only 1/32 Cherokee and have Creek married into my other side but its enough for me to be ashamed to see how our kids are taught in school about subjects like this. According to the history books the Civil War was about slavery only, the Indian Wars were because all Indians were just cruel individuals, and everyone in Alabama thats white are still racist because of what happened in the 60's.

Featured Sponsorr

I think certain history just interests us. For some it's the Revolutionary, the Alammo, Civil War, WW1, WW2, Vietnam, etc, etc. I honestly like reading or watching them all. Might be why I love the History channel.

I never made my point in my first post, and that is that it just depends on what means the most to you. I'm not Black, so the rebel flag doesn't offend me. To me, it's never been meant as a racial slur. It's almost like the term "redneck" for some people. There are so many definitions to the term these days. Know what I mean?

BTW, my g-g-grandmother was full-blooded Cherokee. I have so much English and Scottish mixed in me, I'm sure it's all watered down by now! But, even I get upset how history played it's part to the Indian. But, then I get upset on how the Blacks were treated in history and it wasn't always the rebels of the South that treated them badly. Even the North wouldn't have anything to do with them or treat them any better.

But, then again, racism isn't just about color.