Thread: Wage Opener

Default Wage Opener

Featured Sponsor

Our Unit just went through its votes for our most recent proposed wage increase. It seemed to me that it was easily a 2 to 1 vote (Not Actual amounts) in favor of “NO”. In our particular Unit the members feel that it is needed to have a divided floor and members need to be present in order to vote. I hope that all members in our L.U., and U-9 as a whole vote in the same favor.

It is shoved down our throats that the company is in financial crises and that the economy is terrible. I agree with these statements and that is why I voted “NO”.

I am an in house hand, and I see things in a different way as others may see them. For instance, The men that work through the hall are all struggling for work and I feel that if I were to willingly take a raise when my brothers are not working (eating) then I would be in the truest form a “RAT (Rat Bastard)” for such disregard and selfishness. I also feel that if at all possible the U-9 officers should (as they should have last year) present the decline of a raise in such a manner to allow for the company to understand our willingness to help it in its time of need. However, in my opinion, in return for taking a 0% raise there should be, and should have been, a written addition to our language. This addition would state that the union shall be granted 1/3 of all contract work awarded by company on A.E.P. property covered under the work description defining bargaining classifications within the company.

Why 1/3? The idea is to get the foot in the door not scare them off. 1/3 would be small giving them the ability to still choose freely, but if they chose to hire 6 nonunion crews then they would by contract be required to grant 2 union crews work also. To some this may sound ludicrous. What I am trying to do is guarantee work to the union. In times of financial trouble the most common way to cut back is with the work force. If a union hand cost (Hypothetical) $100/hr and the non union cost $80/hr. an accountant can see that the company is saving 20% on cutting the union work force to fix their impending problem of lack of income. With this language they could not cut all of the union contractors, because if they have but one nonunion contractor working on one pole, they brake the contract. The union would at least have to be the ones to dig the hole. Only if they do away with the contractors totally would the union contractors have no work. 1/3 of all of the contractors is not too far off of what the company as a whole already uses, however this is just a coincidence but, with writing it is a guarantee.

If we were to get language such as this we could build on it and help our cause. However I would like to remind all who are a part of S.C. U-9, the introduction of greed and lust (2 of the same) will in most certain terms, be the destruction of our membership. If we are to stand together we need to put our selfish wants aside and open up to the thought of a whole. No politician, no political party, no single member, or SDS, no coordinator, no Apprentice, NO ONE PERSON other than your self is ever going to make things change for the better. Remember also, if you find yourself criticizing others in their plan and/or beliefs, maybe it’s time you realize you are the cause of the problem with our union not the solution.

Thank You all for Reading

Oklineman
    Last edited by Oklineman; 03-10-2010 at 09:23 PM.
    Ok lineman

2. Default

Featured Sponsorr

good thought.I like it.