Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. Default reiterate

Featured Sponsor

my previous post may have suggested that glovin is fine off the bakerboard and that is not what i meant. i meant you use sticks to go along with board. but who designed 34.5 to be in private property (I.E.) backyards anyway?

Not sure of the details, which is sad, we also learn from others mistakes. Haven't even officially heard how the young man is. It happened in the Cody area.
    Last edited by Patriot; 05-03-2010 at 03:26 PM.

Guys come on now theres got to more to this story than this 345 off the damn pole!!!!! If this kinda $hit is regular practice they need their heads checked that is dumb!!! No wonder we have to have safety meetings that seem dumb as hell cause there must be people out there that are that damn dumb... like the other post of the truck turning over REALLY no outriggers!!!!
    FOLKS WE NEED TO REMOVE HEAD FROM ASS!!!

Default Again we

have no details and a lot of questions. But if this was the case, an ape gloving primary of any voltage off the pole, then they might as well hand him a loaded pistol spin the chamber and tell him go ahead take a chance. Folks does any one else see the pattern goin on here with these companys hiring these guys off the street or right out of these schools and with very minimum trainning , Sending them up to kill them self or someone else. 8 weeks or six months of school dont make one a JL . And glovin primary off the pole makes you an idiot ! Its going to continue as long as the companys think they can idiot proof the trade with rule after rule which they want you to read and sign off on. That washes thier hands and they can pass the blame.

Koga

I have just small details... he was working off hooks with 19.9/34.5, I guess his safety got caught up in something so he took his rubber gloves off... the rest is history.

19.9 0f hooks?? That's just stupid,but if that's how they do it there,,,,

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by T-Man View Post
    I agree with Lewy 34.5Kv requires class 3 rubber gloves, never off a pole or baker board, only from a bucket or with sticks. This is not work for Apes either.

For the young ladds reading this . . .Installing wild life protection sounds easy but you still have to mess with energized parts, so don't think because your Supervisor sends you on something easy, no sweat. . . .it's easy alright, and it's hot! Work safe. . This is the sort of simple work that kills.
    Class 4
    The old Lineman

Single phase tap on on a three phase tangent pole. The tap had the cutout. They couldn't access the pole with a bucket truck because of muddy conditions. So it was climbed, second year apprentice, on the pole, he was using rubber gloves for some reason instead of sticks. He had pretty much completed the work except for a short plastic pin that holds the cutout cover on, he accidently dropped one rubber glove, doned his leather and reached up and stuck the plastic pin in with his leather gloved hand. His feet were in or on the neutral. 2nd and 3rd degree burns over quite a bit of his body. He had a 50/50 blend under shirt, under an FR shirt and it melted to parts of his upper body. He was flown to the burn center in Salt Lake.. Not sure of his condition. THey were private contractors and not PP&L employees.

@@@19.9 0f hooks?? That's just stupid,but if that's how they do it there,,,,@@@@

Stupid isn't a good enough adjective!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Patriot; 04-17-2010 at 10:39 AM.

It sounds more like an arc flash injury than a contact. To have burns over that amount of his body and fused clothing from a contact would surely have involved significant internal damage.
    Portable defibrillators were first invented to save the lives of linemen. Where's yours?

www.bigclive.com

Featured Sponsorr

Just the idea of even doing this job off the pole is plain wrong. The company that hired this contractor has to make sure that the people they contract to do the work are competent & obviously this contractor was not.