Draft Board Classifications
    The following is a list of Selective Service classifications
    that could be assigned by draft boards:

I-A
    Available for military service

I-A-0
    Conscientious objector available for noncombatant military service only

I-C
    Member of the armed forces of the U.S., the Coast and Geodetic Survey, or the Public Health Service

I-D
    Member of reserve component or student taking military training

I-H
    Registrant not currently subject to processing for induction

I-0
    Conscientious objector available for civilian work contributing to the maintenance of the national health, safety, or interest

I-S
    Student deferred by statute (High School)

I-Y
    Registrant available for military service, but qualified for military only in the event of war or national emergency

I-W
    Conscientious objector performing civilian work
    contributing to the maintenance of the national health, safety, or interest

II-A
    Registrant deferred because of civilian occupation (except agriculture or activity in study)

II-C
    Registrant deferred because of agricultural occupation

II-D
    Registrant deferred because of study preparing for the ministry

II-S
    Registrant deferred because of activity in study

III-A
    Registrant with a child or children; registrant deferred by reason of extreme hardship to dependents

IV-A
    Registrant who has completed service; sole surviving son

IV-B
    Official deferred by law

IV-C
    Alien

IV-D
    Minister of religion or divinity student

IV-F
    Registrant not qualified for any military service

IV-G
    Registrant exempt from service during peace (surviving son or brother)

IV-W
    Conscientious objector who has completed alternate service contributing to the maintenance of the national health, safety, or interest in lieu of induction into the Armed Forces of the United States

V-A
    Registrant over the age of liability for military service
    …a further note from an email in May 2002:
    “I noticed that my draft classification was not listed on your site’s list of draft board classification – 1SC. It meant that you had exactly six months to get your affairs in order before you would be drafted.
    I was 2S until February 1966 when I received my draft notice to report for induction. After talking with my draft board they let me finish my school semester then drafted me. During that period I was issued a draft card with the 1SC designation.
    In July of 1966 I was drafted into the US Army. Regards, Tom Olsen, Pvt, USCDCEC, 1966-1968″

Our appreciation goes out to the “Beachmaster” for sending additional codes for our original list from his copy of ‘SSS Form 110′ dated August 11, 1972. See his additions above under classifications: 1H, 2D, 4G, and 4W.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

This might answer a few questions of the military draft classifications. Some of my own experiences and memories also.

Many folks believe only the Army received draftees. I know for a fact that the Navy and Marine Corp used draftees if needed by quota. Mostly, except for the Army though they were volunteers.

4F included folks medically unqualified. It was a sketchy thing though. Knew a guy once who was 4F in WW2 and drafted into the Army during Korea,and served there.

Had a cousin during Vietnam who was married and had a child. Thought he was safe from draft. His father, a cop, detained a member of the local draft board. Only placed him in a motel room to sleep off a drunk. Guess what? 2 weeks later my cousin was drafted in the Army. He was a qualified X ray tech. and the Army wisely made a payroll clerk out of him.

Worked with a guy once who married and thought he was safe from draft. They changed the rules and he was drafted. The day he was to report for physical he found out his wife was pregnant. He was delighted and quite smug about it.

Had another cousin who suffered blackouts due to a plate in his skull from a tornado. We thought he was exempt, but he was drafted and served 2 years. Luckily during peacetime.

One of the best highschool basketball players I played against put on his paperwork during his draft physical that he suffered from asthma. He was classified 4F. He could run like a deer though.

Bill Clinton received some draft deferments but eventually put his name in the pot and received a high lottery number after they went to that draft lottery.

Obama grew up during the modern era and there was no draft.

Remember George Hamilton the movie star? He was exempted because he was "the sole support of his mother", it also didn't hurt that he was dating LBJ's daughter.

Hell there was several NFL stars who were 4F due to foot ball injuries. Joe Namath for one. That former senator and former QB, I believe he got out on bad knees also. The guy that just died here awhileback. Jack Kemp wasn't it?

Swamprat? I don't believe it was his eyes. I'd bet it was the IQ test he failed. That or the physical exam where they say "bend over and grab your cheeks". They smelled a rat when he bent over and pulled his jaw cheeks apart. Heh, heh.

That and the increase in his heartrate when he was sitting on the bench next to all those other naked guys. Heh, heh.

Heard about 4F classification....but it didn't aplly to me......I served my time USAF 70-77.........

US Navy nov.17 1982 through Jan. 17 1987

Default A long time?

"See...
    President Bush...has been Gone for quite a long time stevie". Quote from Grego.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah 14 months might be a long time in dog years or something I guess. I agree he was gone a long time before he ever got there.

There's a lot of things been gone a long time Greggy, like WW2, Korea, Vietnam etc. Draft dodgers and so on.

Wearing glasses just don't square with me. I was on a ship with several people who wore glasses. My good buddy from Yuma was pretty blind if he mislaid his glasses. Nah it must have been something else. Could you read them little numbers on those Cu. sleeves? Must have been tough.

Default Ah most

people squint one eye with an m14 or an m16. It's a lot easier than shooting a pistol. It ain't like ever body has to shoot expert.

batts,why dont you do this country a tremendous favor and die. and dont bother being tough on here,i have called you out so many times i have lost count.

Default Knew a guy once

who was on an Army rifle team. Their instructions on scopes were that both eyes open until the target is found in the scope and then close the off eye when making the shot. You got it backwards of course.

I personally keep both open with scope or open sights. It's like looking thru a microscope. The brain blocks out the off eye.

same old piece of shit,in case some of you didnt notice he(she) said he would use a gun on me not fist to fist.post was hard to read,mixed up spelling,fragmented sentences,so on,hey blob of feces next time you sit down to type have youre boyfriend take his dick out of your mouth. why would i make a threat against the president? he doesnt bother me.

Featured Sponsorr

"Foolish me....I thought an "Army Colt"...didn't have a cylinder. Did we use .45 Revolvers in the "BIG WARS"?"

THIS FROM A GUY WHO CALLS A MAGAZINE A CLIP AND A CLIP A MAGAZINE?