Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Out of Curiousity....How Long ??

Featured Sponsor

Probably been asked before on here............how long were ya in the Trade, Transmission or Distibution........IO Utiltiy, Co-op or Contractor......Union or Rat (not wanting to start a war on this part)

Me.........
    Just over 38 years...am Second generation.....
    Started in December 1970 as a USAF lineman for 7 years (part of that as a Tech Instructor) then with a co-op for about a year and a half.......Then with a IO utility till Retirement in April 2009.......did a little contract work on the side occassionally for extra jingle, most all distribution, the last 21 or so as a T-man........... a little transmission , very little, like an occassional arm change out or change out a bad string of bells and picked up a little wire, a replaced a few spacers..................had a chance to go Union in 1980, and never looked back, and still got my ticket with LU 436
    Old Lineman Never Die......We Just Don't Raise Our Booms As Often

Default 31 years

At the same utility. Started out as a helper , grunt. Back then we worked everything. Transmission as well as distribution. Ive worked everything from 500 barehand to URD street lights. Shame now most of the young bucks will never get the experience of watchin the sun come and go down off a 100' or changin out timbers hot. It also helped weed out who wanted to be a lineman or not. But things change.

Koga

Measly little 12 years! Started at IBEW LU 17 contractin in BEAUTIFUL DOWNTOWN DETROIT! Now at utility, UWUA (unfortunately!) LU 144. Distribution but tryin to get the company to give back our transmission!

Ummmmm started on 1971 as a grunt retired from an IOU. with 34 yrs last 15 as a troublemen then went to contracting thru the union been at that since 2005....... Done some of everthin, urd, transmission, lottsa distribution. Its been a great ride so far.

Southern Indiana is home. But I work all over.

Started in 2000 as a grunt on the non-union side for 10.50 an hour worked my way up the ladder to top lineman doin contract work and storm work for most of my time in the trade traveling all over the country. I've worked from the meter up to 138.. Finally seen the light and orginized into local 369 and aint looked back since I got my A ticket and still livin the life of a contractor only Im by the house so Im home every night.. Kinda wishin work would pick up so I could hit the road again.. I dont want my drag bag gettin dry rot from sittin in the bottom of my tool bin on the bucket too long..

Southern Indiana is home. But I work all over.

Quote Originally Posted by Swamprat View Post

Damn Special Ed...STARTED Linework in 2000? Cool dude!
    10 years in the trade....28 years old. You're one of the "New Breed" of Linemen my man.

Take care of our trade...
    Doin what I can Sir.. I came up with alot of the old ways and haven't forgotten where I come from either.. Second generation lineman. Pa was a utilty hand. So I came into the trade with alot of respect and understanding. And a little hazing never hurt no one either..

I will take the honors of being the newest to linework. 6 years in the trade total, 2 as a JL. Love the work and my brothers.
    I may be stupid, but at least I'm ugly

18 years at IOU. Done everything on distribution / substation. Jack of all trades and master of none.

Never worked transmission except obtaining a clearance on a secton and pulled the static back up.

9. Default lineman

Started with a contractor in north Texas in 1986. Work for several non union mostly good hands. Coops (2) eight years last 2 union. then utility (American Electric Power now.) in 1999 still union. lu 1002 Oklahoma

Default How Long

Featured Sponsorr

Started as Apprentice in 1984, Stayed on transmission new construction and maint. traveling crew for two and a half yrs. Then went to a Distribution traveling crew to finnish my apprenticeship. Became a journeyman in 1988, Still travled anothe 2 years till recieveing A district job were I was home every night. Well unless there was an outage lol. I work for a Utility my whole career but times have changed. Most if not all large contruction is done buy UNION contacters. We used to do it all! Anyway times have changed....