Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Default JCP&L Apprentice Lineman electrocuted Friday

Featured Sponsor

No details on the cause, but it happened in Manalapan N.J. Friday morning when a Transmition crew responded to a down wire.

We were just informed this morning. 21 years old , 3 years with company.
    My prayers go out to the family, we need to wake up and everyone needs to watch out for each other regardless of experience level.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Volcom View Post
    We were just informed this morning. 21 years old , 3 years with company.
    My prayers go out to the family, we need to wake up and everyone needs to watch out for each other regardless of experience level.
    What did you hear in Ohio? I'm here in Jersey and havent heard anything yet.......
    "It is not the critic who counts:The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena" Teddy Roosevelt

All we heard was is he is a newer employee working with transmission on wire down , no other info

Rich was going to turn 21 at the end of the month. He graduated from the line school in may and was doing his stint in transmission. We haven't heard any concrete details yet, mostly unsubstantiated rumors. I met the kid a few times. Such a shame. He was a great kid. Prayers go out to his family and friends.

6. Default Electrocution

I was told the job was in a swamp and everyone was walking threw about a foot of soft mud.The wires were grounded including the down wire.There was a 500 kv line and other trans line passing over the affected wire.The young man tripped in the mud and fell into the down wire and made contact just above his rubber gloves.He was laying in the mud and was making contact with the down wire which had induced voltage.Another coworker was affected trying to pull the man off the wire but not seriously.This is not official but from a good resource.

So all of our grounding practices were proven not to work , wheredo we go from here? If there is anything I can do to help the family let me know,

Florida in the winter Canada in the summer.

So all of our grounding practices were proven not to work , wheredo we go from here? If there is anything I can do to help the family let me know,
    It does not sound like an equal potential zone was established, SO not all grounding practices were in use. 500KV running parallel creates a lot of difference of potential. Use the proper insulating equipment until an EPZ is established.

How do you eqipotential a down wire? There is no need to speculate till we have the facts, too many stories already

Blog Entries

Featured Sponsorr

How do you eqipotential a down wire? There is no need to speculate till we have the facts, too many stories already
    Well said Brother!!
    "It is not the critic who counts:The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena" Teddy Roosevelt