Thread: UG Problem

Default UG Problem

Featured Sponsor

We had this one time...........7620/single phase UG bad under a street...not in conduit........this was not a loop feed..........no overhead any where close...2 pots on feed side of the fault and about 8 pots past the fault......we didn't have a backhoe, and cause it was a Holiday weekend, we couldn't find anyone with one to come help us.....

.how did we get the customers back on without building 3/4 of a mile of overhead.....

and we didn't put in any new UG either...
    Old Lineman Never Die......We Just Don't Raise Our Booms As Often

Southern Indiana is home. But I work all over.

Im lovin these trouble shootin tasks and problems yall been comming up with. This ones got me stumped so I will leave it alone though. But around here we usually have a spare cable incase one burns up.
    Last edited by Special ED; 06-26-2010 at 01:25 AM.

I would have thought that you would have layed pipe on top of the ground and put a temp run from the last tx on the feed side which was hot to the first tx that was out, made up 2 elbows and got everyone back on, I'm interested in hearing what you did.

Southern Indiana is home. But I work all over.

Quote Originally Posted by Lineman North Florida View Post
    I would have thought that you would have layed pipe on top of the ground and put a temp run from the last tx on the feed side which was hot to the first tx that was out, made up 2 elbows and got everyone back on, I'm interested in hearing what you did.
    I was thinkin something crazy along them lines too man but these days you cant do shit like that.. Hell alot of places you cant even run an emergency underground service. Ya know the old heavy temps you just poped a hole in the door of the can and laid on the ground to the house with the bad service. We cant use em no more.

Default That's be my guess.

What we used to call underground on the ground. People's so damn squirrely anymore can't get away with that.

Funniest one I saw like that. Bad single phase URD that crossed a street. Didn't have time etc. to bore it. Took a decrepid line truck, run the boom up in the air, ran single phase URD up the boom and tied it with a rope, across the street to a tree and tied it off. Then down to an enclosure. It worked , but just looked dumb to me. They got it rebored a few days later. I think the fault was under the street of course. I would have just set a pole rather than tie up a truck.

Well you didn't have a back hoe but here we call'em apes! Could've set a pole on each side of the road where the primary ran and ran a span over head across the road with two risers? Can't see runnin a line on top of a road? Unless you had some kind of bridging to protect it?

Default Ok.....

Worked at a place that had cable set up on a nice portable trailer, could be hauled in with a sno-cat had UG where the snow got so ****in deep, only way you could find the pots was snow markers, and you would see a little indentation because of the heat.

They stilled used it there but that was 3yrs ago so who knows now? I would not see how you could not run it along the ground, put it sch. 80 pvc, no different than whats on your primary risers.

Was there at least any trees available to temp it with ropes?

Default One More Time.

We had a 3 phase radial. All URD to a Howard Johnson's. I don't remember exactly maybe 100 yds. or better. 7620/13.2 with a 277/480 pot at the end. It began to single phase as one dip fuse blown. Crossed under a four lane highway.

I'll give one hint and it should make it a nobrainer. Further down stream from the dip a single phase overhead fed across from the same feeder.

After it was figured out the problem remaining was how to replace the bad URD wire. I think it was in conduit all the way but did have an underground vault just past the four lane. I remember the foreman was in a fluster and told the supt. that he couldn't identify the bad phase in the vault as it just went on thru and was unmarked. Another no brainer. Agreed?

Featured Sponsorr

Quote Originally Posted by MI-Lineman View Post
    Well you didn't have a back hoe but here we call'em apes! Could've set a pole on each side of the road where the primary ran and ran a span over head across the road with two risers? Can't see runnin a line on top of a road? Unless you had some kind of bridging to protect it?
    Exactly what we did.................

as far as an ape being a backhoe, well back then, there weren't any apes on the property...........we went for a long dry spell, where all the apes had topped out, and the company wasn't hiring anybody, had 3-3man crews in the yard I worked in, the next closet yard had 2-3man crews and there wasn't an ape anywhere.........
    Old Lineman Never Die......We Just Don't Raise Our Booms As Often