Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Featured Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Brotherhood View Post
    Make sure you walk in shake everones hand who you are interviewing with. Sell youselfs make sure you have good posture head up don't say umm or like and have fin be loose I know you will be nervous but just be confident in yourself.
    Yea I screwed up on that. They asked me questions just to piss me off it seemed like. I am an electrician but I am more interested in this work. So I'm sure any electrician is a nobody to them. Dang narrowbacks! Right? Well I'm not giving up, I'm gonna start calling companies like asplund and see If I can get a groundman position. I have a feeling that having a class A and a climbing cert is not enough. I need the work experience too! If anybody has any advice on how to get in as a groundman without waiting 6 years please let me know. I would really appreciate the help! Thanks again

go to local 47 and sign the groundman books. its a good time, work is really picking up. i have no idea how long it'll take you to get called

Quote Originally Posted by scratchpad View Post
    go to local 47 and sign the groundman books. its a good time, work is really picking up. i have no idea how long it'll take you to get called
    yea I would have to sign book 4 which I've heard can take 6 years. I'm thinking of just waiting until I get my climbing cert so I can at least bump up to book 3. For all I know I might still be getting into the apprenticeship. I haven't gotten the letter yet!

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Rogeribanez View Post
    yea I would have to sign book 4 which I've heard can take 6 years. I'm thinking of just waiting until I get my climbing cert so I can at least bump up to book 3. For all I know I might still be getting into the apprenticeship. I haven't gotten the letter yet!
    Local 47 will not automatically bump you to book3 just because of the line cert. You will still be placed on book4 and they will make copies of your lineschool cert and what ever else documents you have that you want to submit to them and you will have to wait for them to call you for an interview in order for them to move you from book 4 to book 3.

Go to the hall and join the union if you have not already and get a groundman ticket for now while your waiting for the apprenticeship and you can sign book 2 it will get you workin alot sooner
    IF YOU AIN'T IN YOUR TOOLS DON'T CHANGE THE RULES...BOYCOTT THE BUCKSQEEZE

6. Default

Which hall are you talking about westcoast; 47 or 1245? I know a guy that went to 47 in Diamond Bar with his climbing cert and A license paid his dues to join as a groundman3 they put him on book3 not 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Froths View Post
    Which hall are you talking about westcoast; 47 or 1245? I know a guy that went to 47 in Diamond Bar with his climbing cert and A license paid his dues to join as a groundman3 they put him on book3 not 2.
    Yea Froths is right. Book 3 on local 47 is the highest you can get with cert and class A. On the other hand at local 18 you can sign book 2 with cert. So like I said I am going to wait until I get my cert because book 4 is pretty much a long wait unless I had connections to a contractor.

Quote Originally Posted by Froths View Post
    Local 47 will not automatically bump you to book3 just because of the line cert. You will still be placed on book4 and they will make copies of your lineschool cert and what ever else documents you have that you want to submit to them and you will have to wait for them to call you for an interview in order for them to move you from book 4 to book 3.
    Are you sure you have to get an interview to sign book 3? In a way that makes sense but usually only for apprenticeships. I'll have to call 47 dispatch and confirm that. I know local 18 doesn't interview for craft helper which is their version of a groundman.

9. Smile

I got called in off the books; Im going down 2 local 47 2morrow 4my drug test/paperwork. I'll be working for H&M.

Featured Sponsorr

Quote Originally Posted by HardWorker! View Post
    I got called in off the books; Im going down 2 local 47 2morrow 4my drug test/paperwork. I'll be working for H&M.
    Oh yea?! You were on book 3 for groundman? How long did you wait?