Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
  1. Default

Featured Sponsor

Thanks guys this isn't stuff you can talk about around the guys , they will never let me live it down. Its great i can talk here with no fear of judgment well at least the kind that can affect my career.

Quote Originally Posted by bones View Post
    Aaaa...the first time you set yourself on fire is always the hardest
    Well it's certainly one of the most memorable.

It's a special kind of educational experience where you learn a lot in a very short time.

Sonny Boy.......... Stevie Batts just handed you a golden peice of information. When sumpins gettin under yer skin Ya best not let everbody know about it or yer gonna live with it ever day. Linamen have long memories and it will always come back and bite ya in the ass.
    Also pay attention and you will see that no matter how good or bad a lineman is or was he will always be remembered for his biggest screw up. Thats just a fact of life in linework.

Quote Originally Posted by Pootnaigle View Post
    Also pay attention and you will see that no matter how good or bad a lineman is or was he will always be remembered for his biggest screw up. Thats just a fact of life in linework.
    I like to consider it as being "admired" for my biggest screw-ups.

Quote Originally Posted by grunt View Post
    I have been a hot app for about 3 months after being a cold app for a year local iou and have been struggling and been making some mistakes for example i left a cap off a fuse, i was making up a tx and thought a butting tri plex was dead and thought i needed to tie it to the tri plex i was making up to the new tx and i was skinning the hot legs ( that i thought was dead ) i boomed over to skin the hot legs ( that i was making up ) and i got them together and knocked out a fuse on the tx that the butting tri plex was on , and i was setting a pole and was handling the butt and almost pushed into pri. These are the mistakes i have made in three months . what i was wondering is have any of you struggled in the beginning or am i in the wrong business? I love what i do and want to be a good lineman.
    Ps i posted this in the Apprentice & Wanna be's but really want the old hands opinion thanks

Listen to these guy's! There is a wealth of knowledge here, all you have to do is ask. I have never in my career met or talked with someone in the trade who wasn't happy to pass on information. Double fold if it was about safety!

In agreeing with everyone else you need to slow it down a bit. First and foremost stop "thinking" things are dead! Check and verify your potentials accordingly everytime and try and kick that "think" habbit rather quickly. I don't want to see you graduating into the primaries with the thought of "thinking" something miught be dead. Secondaries can hurt too. Good luck and if you need anything ask!
    -Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Pootnaigle View Post

I'm saving mine for retirement You know the kind of screw-up that will make the 5 o'clock news in a major city. Question I have is, just how big are we talking to get chopper-cam involved? I'm thinking at least a naked suicide attempt atop a 500kv, bare minimum.

I remember the ice storm back in 98. we had a 115kv line so loaded with ice it sagged down across interstate 81 shutting the interstate down. they had to get the highway open so a supervisor directed a line crew to cut the conductor. ten hundred foot h-frames in each direction went down like dominos'

if it was any of your business you would know

Default 3rd year blues....

Featured Sponsorr

Ditto most of the advice so far... I you think you have a "problem" that's the first step to recovery

I cant tell you how many apes go through some low ebbs in that learning curve... we give you a little more leash... and stuff is bound to happen. See why they did'nt just turn you loose on whatever you had balls enough to try the first year or two?

The trick is learning from the mistakes....Stick around long enough and you will hear stories about some guys you admire the most... how (his name here) was F*cked up like Hogan's goat when he was an ape...