Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Got the Call for Earl.......

Featured Sponsor

Waiting on another call for more details........

Utility Support Systems (USS) called about 10 this morning, checking availability of the Damage Assessors, for possible deployment to the east coast ...two utilities there have requested assistance..don't know which two, but figure PE/Carolinas and maybe Duke.......... will know more later................waiting on another call....getting my gear together just in case......

Per the NHC, if Earl makes any slight deviation to the West, it could come on shore in N Carolina........it's a Cat 3 with 125mph winds, moving NW at 17mph now.......
    Old Lineman Never Die......We Just Don't Raise Our Booms As Often

cool... sound like a great gig durring retirement,wouldn't mind doing that myself in ten years

3. Default

Its probably Cooperatives or Muni's. I dont think PE-Carolinas or Duke has much near the coast. We never worked the coast when we worked under the old CP&L.

Quote Originally Posted by never_forget_our_brothers View Post
    Its probably Cooperatives or Muni's. I dont think PE-Carolinas or Duke has much near the coast. We never worked the coast when we worked under the old CP&L.
    Don't think any of the muni's/co-ops are clients, but know PE and Duke are...........that's per the company website anyway...

Unofficial word is that we are too far west to go to this one, from another hand I know in Mississippi that has been doing this gig for several years...........but he also said we might! Will know when I get another call........

Also heard from another source they may be working on something with some other utilities way up the coast, like National Grid..........

Besides, needed to get my Storm bag ready anyway! It hasn't been packed in a year!!!
    Last edited by Trbl639; 09-01-2010 at 04:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by topgroove View Post
    cool... sound like a great gig durring retirement,wouldn't mind doing that myself in ten years
    Maybe I can hook ya hook when ya get ready.......

I'd like to hear more about these USS people if you don't mind. Please PM me if ya don't want to post it on here.
    National Grid = Retired! US Army vet. 68 - 70
    As of April of 2010 I quit smoking! It's been hard but so far no butts! I am now an X smoker!

Quote Originally Posted by loodvig View Post
    I'd like to hear more about these USS people if you don't mind. Please PM me if ya don't want to post it on here.
    PM sent Brother!

They are like Osmose they do pole inspection and for storm they go out look at damage and report it back to power company. Looks like they hire retired utility hands. They hire casual workers which states guys just waiting to work for storm. They have worked all over even have pic of Katrina on web site.

They show that they do no line work just inspection.

Quote Originally Posted by ICE View Post
    They are like Osmose they do pole inspection and for storm they go out look at damage and report it back to power company. Looks like they hire retired utility hands. They hire casual workers which states guys just waiting to work for storm. They have worked all over even have pic of Katrina on web site.

They show that they do no line work just inspection.
    That's right...NO linework.........Damage Assessment and engineering services............Damage assessors are required to have a minimum of 10 years lineman experience...........myself and a couple of other retired hands I know work for them......

Featured Sponsorr

Hurricane Earl was a big bust here in N.east Mass. !
    National Grid = Retired! US Army vet. 68 - 70
    As of April of 2010 I quit smoking! It's been hard but so far no butts! I am now an X smoker!