Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
  1. Default

Featured Sponsor

This subject (rubbers with sticks) has as many variations as whether or not to wear rubbers operating goabs with a ground grid.
    Last edited by mrgrowl791; 09-15-2010 at 08:36 PM.

both stupid...

Default Drifter.

. Poot and Door I disagree with both of you on this subject. Powerlineman.com does not do any screening of people applying for membership, who knows what someone’s motive is for trying to gain knowledge on this web site. Did they not go through an approved apprenticeship, are they going to try something that could or would hurt them or someone else or are they just a plain trouble maker.?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I worked in Electrical linework for 36 years, spent 4 years with Ma. Bell as a Tel. Lineman and Cablesplicer. About 33 years in some kind of union. CWA, IBEW, and UWA.

I spent a considerable time in Okla. my home state. Oklahoma is not a labor friendly state as it is dominated by Texas which is extremely unfriendly to labor. Labor needs all the friends it can gather. I have worked where the IBEW hands went out of their way to be shitty to non-union hands. Some who were so shitty had been non-union themselves shortly before they went to work for PSO.

Tell you the truth I always felt sorry somewhat for the poor rats. I always felt like if we ever got a chance to organize them it would help if we just treated them in an ordinary way, and not try to make it hard on them. If we had better labor numbers here perhaps I would feel different.

As far as narrowbacks, I've done servicework in connection with them always. Never thought it furthered the ideals of the union to be crappy to them.

Let me make it clear. If we ever hope to organize the non-union people it won't help our cause by treating them like dirt. As long as we have better conditions and a little better pay they know it. What better proof?

As far as ability, I've seen ever class of hand and you can't predict their ability. I've stated before, I've seen yellow ticket people from the git go who weren't worth a crap and vice-versa. There's no set pattern. Union people should be the best but that only goes for the majority. I've seen some non-union hands who were mighty good. Just too bad we all can't be union.
    Last edited by wtdoor67; 09-15-2010 at 09:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Swamprat View Post
    I ain't, and never was, or would be a "white ticket".

I learned long ago, I didn't want nothin to do with union. Just a personal thing. Just like alot of other "Utility Linemen". We don't need or want to be Union.

And...what I actually said was,
    "This is AMERICA boy. Just cause your union...you ain't nothin "special" and shit.

Non Union...JUST as good as your ass. AND...you know where you can put your "ticket".

All you union boys...can go piss up a rope. I'm a Journeyman, Distribution Powerlineman. And all your Union bullshit and YOUR union "rules" for callin a man a Journeyman....are strictly that. YOUR Union bullshit.

You tell...union boy,
    A 30 Journeyman lineman for the Orlando Utility Authority, that he ain't a Journeyman Lineman cause he ain't union. Go ahead....

Go fu$k yourself drifter....

you made a big fuggin split there Swimpstick... Journeyman Lineman... and Journeyman Distribution lineman...

see my man... when the hall gives me a call and says hey man can you go to work doing some gloving for do and so
    I say yeah...
    theres no it's 34.5 19.9 you cool with that?
    or it's 4 kv of the wood you cooll with that?
    when they call me an say hey we got some new 500kv going up on steel lattice you want it?
    I say sure...
    theres no it's transmission you know big stuff high towers...
    when they call me and say we got 4 3 pahse urd subdivisons that are getting plowed in you cool with that
    I say no...
    just ****ing with you
    I say yeah..
    they don't ask me do you know hoe to make up an elbow? can you make up a terminator...
    they call me saying theres a new sub being built or wind gen or GIS
    I accept the call or I don't...
    they call me not just because I'm on the books... but it's because I fulfill the requirement of Journeyman Lineman...

that includes fiber phone and CATV...

do it all and do it well... not just sticking to my "sweet spot"....

but then again I was not on the books much to busy working...

for what it's worth...

Edge

Quote Originally Posted by Edge View Post
    you made a big fuggin split there Swimpstick... Journeyman Lineman... and Journeyman Distribution lineman...

see my man... when the hall gives me a call and says hey man can you go to work doing some gloving for do and so
    I say yeah...
    theres no it's 34.5 19.9 you cool with that?
    or it's 4 kv of the wood you cooll with that?
    when they call me an say hey we got some new 500kv going up on steel lattice you want it?
    I say sure...
    theres no it's transmission you know big stuff high towers...
    when they call me and say we got 4 3 pahse urd subdivisons that are getting plowed in you cool with that
    I say no...
    just ****ing with you
    I say yeah..
    they don't ask me do you know hoe to make up an elbow? can you make up a terminator...
    they call me saying theres a new sub being built or wind gen or GIS
    I accept the call or I don't...
    they call me not just because I'm on the books... but it's because I fulfill the requirement of Journeyman Lineman...

that includes fiber phone and CATV...

do it all and do it well... not just sticking to my "sweet spot"....

but then again I was not on the books much to busy working...

for what it's worth...

Edge
    That what I've been saying theres no such thing as a distro JL a JL can do it all highline,overhead distro,underground distro and transmission and build subs...Oh swampy here we go again...
    IF YOU AIN'T IN YOUR TOOLS DON'T CHANGE THE RULES...BOYCOTT THE BUCKSQEEZE

You're exactly right Edge. I DID make a split. I'm a distribution JourneymanLineman. I don't like transmission work. And unlike you union boys...there ARE 2 types of Journeyman Linemen. Just not in your "Union" world.

Like I told drifter..."Tell a Journeyman Lineman, with the Orlando Utility Authourity for 30 years, which is non union....He ain't a Journeyman Line, cause he ain't union."
    For what it's fu$kin worth...
    Let's see the paper work that says your are a distribution JourneymanLineman....a picture is worth a thousands words....post it!!!!!

screw the cert paperwork!, let's post pay stubs!

Mark, don't let these geritol takers get to you. Everyone seems to forget working secondary's around here during their climb up the ladder. A lot of lineman work with local elects in various states, especially the commercial and industrial fellows. As far as your initial question, we have a ground to ground rule, on sticks too while switching and even grounding. I don't make'em, I just follow'em. As long as I come home to my wife and kids at the end of the day then that's really all that matters no matter what a utility's policies are.

be safe!
    -Mike

Thats what you Union boys TRY to say...to promote your "Union" Journeyman bullshit. Like I said....
    "Tell a Journeyman Lineman, with the Orlando Utility Authourity for 30 years, which is non union....He ain't a Journeyman Line, cause he ain't union." OR...ANY Journeyman Lineman that works for a non union Utility.

It's a union mentality thing left coast. It ain't "Real World".
    It's all "nominclature" man. Yours..union.

And drifter....
    "Let's see the paper work that says your are a distribution JourneymanLineman....a picture is worth a thousands words....post it!!!!!"

It's all bout "Paper" documentation to you union boys, ain't it. Documentin...how fu$kin great you are. I think I got an ID card...from back in Ill. in 72... that says my name, my company, and Journeyman Lineman on it. Would That do?

Ya work for a non union utility, Like...for example...

OUC, Orlando Utility Commission... for 20, 30 years of your life as a "Lineman". Ya might have the "papers" of the courses you went to. But...that still ain't a "UNION Journeyman Lineman" is it.

When is a man like this...bein Non Union...actually considered by you union gods...to BE an actual "Journeyman"?

Never. Cause they ain't fu$kin union.

Ya'll's "Union" journeyman shit...is WAY overblown. And...It's SHIT.

Lets face it swamp u seem to be a practical man. No matter the merritt to your arguement YOU are not the person to carry the torch for this debate as it has been proven time after time after time what a dumbass you are and you have absolutely nothing of value to provide when it comes to linework so when YOU specifically call yourself a JL it totally shits on your on arguement that there are good non union lineman....................of course you already know this you just continue on and on trolling cause your a pathetic old man with nothing else to do...............proceed

Quote Originally Posted by SBatts View Post
    I think you just about covered the whole issue. Long dead is anything that resembles anything I learned from old lineman, that got old from experience, and not some bullshit safety policy set down by a college puke.

We gloved and sticked in heavy rains on storm trouble with Houston Light and Power, and I never had any trouble until 1981 when a stick broke down and blew my ass up. I never remember any stick rules. Fast forward to 2008 and the Westar rules against gloving in a light mist.

I wonder how many linemen go on storm breaks on anther utility's property and have the wrong cover and gloves and don't even know the voltage?
    We stirred up a stink on our own property one on a storm break over that...........

Day 1..they had us working on 34.5 line, that a local crew had cleared and grounded..it was a pretty good mess and we didn't get it finished........night crew finished and heated it up, but left the neutral down in several places, so the next day they sent us back and we told them NO, unless we killed the line!!!

Local Supv threw a freaking fit!!!

Our company Safety rules said we could only work 19.9/34.5 DEAD AND GROUNDED.........because we didn't have 34.5 in our local (home area) and we only had Class 2 gloves....NOT Class 4! with the primary HOT , even picking up neutral, we'd be violating OUR Safety rules and a possible trip to the house for a few days!!

We were moved to a different area...13.2kv, and the Supv got a major butt chewing for even sending us out there!!!!

Always made a habit to find out what the voltage where we were was, at the Safety briefing we got when we got there!!!!!
    Old Lineman Never Die......We Just Don't Raise Our Booms As Often

Featured Sponsorr

We have to wear our rubber gloves when doing utility work (installing or removing grounds, switching lifting LLC) we do not have to wear our rubber gloves when doing live line tool work as long as we maintain our clearances, but the men over at Hydro One only need there gloves when they cannot maintain there clearances. We always wear our class 2 gloves unless we are hands on on our 27.6 kv then we wear our class 4. I agree we have to explain how some of the rules came to be, some of the young guys think nothing can happen to them if they have there gloves on, but old guys can also be set in there ways & not willing to try new things (equip grounding), I remember an old guy telling me when triplex came in the old guys said they would not want to install it thinking it would short out.