Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Arm vs armless

Default Arm vs armless

Featured Sponsor

Which style of new construction do you mostly build for distribution?
    We are mostly armless

Armless vertical construction, insulators mounted on standoff brackets, can't remember the last time I used a gain base.

In this neck of the woods, a lot depends depends on the ROW.........still seeing new construction done with 'chicken wings' and then flattop...........also depends on the engineer drawing it up as well, whether he likes flattop or vertical construction.......
    Old Lineman Never Die......We Just Don't Raise Our Booms As Often

Quote Originally Posted by SBatts View Post
    Arms will never die out for one simple reason, you need taller poles to maintain height clearance for all user. Just look in the cities where overhead construction is still maintained

I have to agree with you and I can never figure out with chicken wing construction you still have to mount a grave yard marker to install arrestors and fuse holders. Two bolts and holes to drill for cross arm construction verses eight holes to drill for three phase chicken wing construction.

over the years we've experimented with all kinds of construction here at Grid. We've finally setteled on basic crossarm construction with the wooden braces and metal skypin. I always prefered the fiberglass arms and skypin but I guess its cheaper to go with wood arms. up untill about ten years ago we used to tie in and deadend the neutral on an insulator now we use thimble eyes and metal clamps. We used to use csp"s all the time but switched to conventional transformers.

Man about ten years ago they tried those fiberglass arms here. I don't know who made them, but we used them on steel poles, with all factory pre drilled holes and them suckers with 954 wire on them was all bowed withing two years. It was under built with two phases on one side one on the other. Haven't seen one since.
    wow 954... the most we loaded on them was 336

In San Diego they use 15 ft. 6"x6" arms with double circuit and a primary (not system) neutral on them. For dead ends they triple them.

Man about ten years ago they tried those fiberglass arms here. I don't know who made them, but we used them on steel poles, with all factory pre drilled holes and them suckers with 954 wire on them was all bowed withing two years. It was under built with two phases on one side one on the other. Haven't seen one since.

Where those the gray ones? I didn't like the look of those from the start.

Quote Originally Posted by Swamprat View Post
    Go to bed ya drunk fu$k.
    "Next time your in Wichita"....

I don't give a shit bout the 795.

I want to hear bout... the 954, on the "8' fiberglass Arms that bent"...
    also want to know the Amperage, and the Fu$kin Area...that needed THAT much Wire and AMPS.

Like I said. You're a Liar...and, your a blowhard piece of shit.
    But...we all know that...

954, on an 8ft. Fiberglass crossarm? Even groove, couldn't believe THAT shit.

You're loosein it fatboy....

You must be stuck on 8 ft arms...I do not see where Steve said any length in any of his posts...... 8 footers are mainly secondary arms.

Featured Sponsorr

Quote Originally Posted by Swamprat View Post
    Try to Come to the "rescue" of your union boy, huh...drifter

It started here man.

"Originally Posted by topgroove

over the years we've experimented with all kinds of construction here at Grid. We've finally setteled on basic crossarm construction with the wooden braces and metal skypin. I always prefered the fiberglass arms and skypin but I guess its cheaper to go with wood arms. up untill about ten years ago we used to tie in and deadend the neutral on an insulator now we use thimble eyes and metal clamps. We used to use csp"s all the time but switched to conventional transformers."

8Footers...are "Secondary arms"?

Are you as STUPID as your batshit..."buddy"?
    "crossarm construction with the wooden braces and metal skypin."

We're talkin distribution here dumbass.....
    But....
    you "stick up" for batshit boy...
    You're a good...brother...
    Get your head out of your ass.....we are talking steel transmission poles with cross arm distribution under built....nothing was said about king pin construction.