Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Floater......

Featured Sponsor

.Thats why we always cut the top and drill new holes. way less messey and easier on the chain saw

Had some CLECO hands working my area in a storm, things were winding down, when we found a broke 30/5 lift pole, in a back yard, no truck access....I was in the yard with the CLECO guys and told the foreman what we had, in a minute he said the shortest pole we had on the yard was a 40/5, and asked if I wanted him to send a couple guys to Eldo to the big yard and get a 30......I just laughed and told him to load the smallest 40 he could find and I'd get the saw and a tape.......about 5 minutes later they had a 30!!!
    Old Lineman Never Die......We Just Don't Raise Our Booms As Often

hey... rest up Swamp, I'm off tommorrow so get some sleep! I've got a big day planned for us

Cool... we have so much to catch-up on, but I need you at your sharpest

yeah contracting maintence might have been a great cost saving measure in the past but over the years those cost savings have turned out to be quite expensive now that contractor lineman in many cases are paid better than in house lineman. Letting your workforce age and get depleated by retirements have made utilities compleatly dependent on contractors to do all the big road widening DOT jobs. Its all supply and demand, the backbone of capitalism. Charge what the market can bear. The fact of the matter is we are for the most part Investor owned Utilities and the bean counters will always be looking for ways to save a penny even if it means stepping over a dime I'm sure the next cost saving step will be to replace the union contractors with non-union contractors. After all swamp says all you have to do is look at some pictures and build it. Its so easy anybody can do it. Might as well get mexicans and third world workers on visa's to build it. Hell their happy to work for next to nothing. Who cares if they can't speak english, What self respecting executive would want to speak to these filthy animals anyway. Hell its worked great so far in tree trimming might as well carry it over to distribution construction. When they screw up all you have to do is pull the charred corpse down with a switch stick and send another ignorant monkey up there

I didn't think anybody installed 30' poles anymore, the smallest we install is a 40', but I can see where a 35 would be fine for a service pole or perhaps a stub pole. If the pole is too high either put it on the side or use an arm, do not see the need to cut poles, higher is generally always better , the more clearance the better.

I agree the thing to do in this case would have been to replace the pole that is pictured also. contractors dont care they just do what the print says to do

no the contractors replaced a 35ft pole one section away with a 45ft pole.the pole that you see the primary floated and burned it down.

9. Default

There's a little uplift on that one!

Featured Sponsorr

Quote Originally Posted by topgroove View Post
    no the contractors replaced a 35ft pole one section away with a 45ft pole.the pole that you see the primary floated and burned it down.
    I have to say BS on that.....hell the two 5/8 machine bolts are still in the pole top that were used to attach the pole top pin..... Setting a 45 may have caused the pole top pin to break off and allow the phase to float but that top of that pole is still there right along with the two 5/8 machine bolts to prove it.

The remaining stob of the pole top pin can still be seen as well. As far as the burn marks on the top....I vote for lightening or maybe a cracked insulator.

If there is enough upward tension on the conductor to raise it that high off of the pole I just dont see how it being a floater would cause the pole to burn down in the process of it becoming a floater.....
    Last edited by ratbastard101; 11-02-2010 at 09:46 PM.
    This country is being destroyed by those who could not have created it. In order to return the days of this country being the proverbial shining city on the hill for all of the world to see, we must first return to the ways that enabled the light to first shine.