Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
  1. Default salary questions..?

Featured Sponsor

hello everyone,

I'm new to this forum, and pretty new to the lineman career. I've recently be considering it, and had some questions about it.

I know Linemen make a very good amount of money, but I'm just curious how good it really is.... I've done searches on google and things like that, but nothing is as accurate as hearing it from someone who actually is a lineman.

How much do you guys make a year, an hour? and where do you work? does location affect your pay? do you work for a contractor, or a co op? or any other options......

I don't know alot about this career... could you guys help me out?? any advice, or information would be great..

PS.. is it ok that i ask ppl's salaries on here? idk.... if you don't want to share, that's fine. just lookin for some real numbers...

Thanks everyone!

Union wages vary depending on the contract that has been negotiated.

In the PNW the 125, 77, 483, and 659 are all under the same construction contract and the pay rate for a JL Lineman is $43.43 if memory serves me correctly.

Location will affect your pay. So will your employer (contractor vs. muni, co-op, ext....)

Default Call.

Call any LU office in the country and they will give you the scale for any classification they cover. It's not kept secret like so many management types.

Some locals have several payscales for all the different entities they represent. Typically most usually represent outside (const.) hands and Utility hands (pwr. co. pukes.)

Sometimes you can con them into sending you a copy of their contract.

Call a rat contractor and you'll get several scales probably. Ha!

4. Default

alright i might try that out... if find a couple places in the area.

is there a general bottom line pay for a journeyman? i've heard around 30 bucks an hour. and many examples that were more than that.

Anyone out there get less than $30 per hour?

Thanks

5. Default

I do as a 1 step app.

3rd year apprentice $29.xx going to $41.xx when i top out plus overtime and bonuses.

Most guys I know out of line school are starting around 15.00 to 20.00. I even heard a couple guys at 13.00. Journeyman pay is much better, I've heard pay ranges between 26.00 and about 45.00.

I make $50.75 an hour and $50 a day for showing up,,,,,but if your just wanting to know where the most money is made,,,then your not meant for this trade.

9. Post

Quote Originally Posted by electric squirrel View Post
    I make $50.75 an hour and $50 a day for showing up,,,,,but if your just wanting to know where the most money is made,,,then your not meant for this trade.
    So Mr. Squirrel you are a Forman now? Congrats.. Now take me as your grunt & let me be your right hand man until I start my apeship...

10. Default

Featured Sponsorr

Quote Originally Posted by electric squirrel View Post

I'm not in it just for the money... i wouldn't climb poles and physical, hard work, even during times of shitty weather, and all those good things, if i didn't think i'd like it. I know there's gonna be times, and parts of the job that really will just suck... but all jobs all like that, idk if theres a job out there that has its drawbacks.... im thinkin that the majority of the time i would enjoy it tho. i've always been a hard worker... and don't really want to end up sitting inside the rest of my life... i just wanted to put that out there....

but no matter what a person goes into.... whether there's money there or not... i kinda want to have an idea... everyone has their own opinion.... and some would say money isn't everything... well, i would say, it's at least a PART of everthing... everything you wanna do, and wanna buy, you're going to need money... your whole lifestyle can depend on how much money you make alone...

many of you may disagree with me.... but idk, i just want get as much info about this career as i can to make sure i make a well thought out, and educated decision...

ok now... here's where you come in buddy...

you've been through it all.. you're a foreman now?!

can you explain some of the steps it takes to get to that? how long you worked to get there? what does a foreman do?

i know there's 4 steps of apprentice work, then you can be a journeyman... but after that i really know nothing about it...

what happens after that? does your pay continue to increase? after working 20 years would i have the oportunity to move up? also, i'm thinkin i'd get my AAS degree. would this help me get promotions or anything like that? or is a certificate just as good...? i've already finished alot of generals so i think i could get the AAS in less than 2 years

how did it go for you?... i understand some of the basics of this career... but i don't really know everything about it...

as someone who's done line work for years, what advice/information can you provide me with

thanks again everyone!

I'm trying to get into a school, and make these decisions so i can get back on track. i've already completed a year and a half of college, but thinking i would like to go to lineschool now.