Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast
  1. Default

Featured Sponsor

Just Got called this morning Looks like Im headed to livermore for the ALP on the 25th........I live in Washington State so I gotta make all this traveling pay off

Nice brother! When did you take the tests? (Ist,woi,ptb) good luck and let us know how you did!

3. Default

I took the first set of tests last thursday....June 9th

Quote Originally Posted by mossy View Post
    Just Got called this morning Looks like Im headed to livermore for the ALP on the 25th........I live in Washington State so I gotta make all this traveling pay off
    Good luck man. I feel for you though. I feel this job is pretty misleading. I was lead to believe I had a good shot at it. Felt the interview went well. Passed the ALP with flying colors. Didnt get the job.

It was such a huge opportunity that I took the ALP day off from work despite my current employer not allowing it. This is a once in a life time opportunity. I had to do it if I wanted to get into the field and take PG&E up on this. Well, I lost the job. Not to my surprise. If I would have known over 4,000 people applied within the first couple days I would have done things a little different. Also, I was never told that I would need to apply to more areas than just my own if I wanted any chance of getting the job.

Now despite completing their process and coming of up short, my new application is being placed somewhere near the bottom of the stack and it doesn't seem I have the edge on anyone the second time around.

So, a thousand dollars short in my bank account and less income than when I applied for the job. Who would have thought that the situation would have done more damage than good?

After you've made it past boot check and weigh-ins you feel really good about what you've accomplished. You feel "this must be meant to be" but dont put your eggs in one basket. I hope things work out for you especially since your traveling much farther than what I did.

Take care, and post your experience if you have time! Also, study "behavioral interviews" and "STAR interviewing" to be more specific. You do that and you should be set.

5. Default

I understand the chances of me working for them are very slim, but I will not give up on becoming a lineman.....I have my eggs in many baskets so to speak!! Spending the money sucks but its something I have to deal with in order to become a lineman! I have been to oregon utah california and washington all in the search of trying to be a lineman and i will not give up! Majority of my experience is farm work and construction along with attending Avista line construction school and a bit of working at avista as a temp.....I am sitting twenty something on the list at northwest right now I wish construction would pickup!! Placed 16th out of a thousand applicants at pacific power in oregon.....40th at mtn states in utah! Got a couple tests/interviews coming up at local puds but I do understand the amount of competition for these. I will never give up and will fight my ass off for a position.... I Know I will be a journeyman someday no question about it.

Quote Originally Posted by mossy View Post
    I understand the chances of me working for them are very slim, but I will not give up on becoming a lineman.....I have my eggs in many baskets so to speak!! Spending the money sucks but its something I have to deal with in order to become a lineman! I have been to oregon utah california and washington all in the search of trying to be a lineman and i will not give up! Majority of my experience is farm work and construction along with attending Avista line construction school and a bit of working at avista as a temp.....I am sitting twenty something on the list at northwest right now I wish construction would pickup!! Placed 16th out of a thousand applicants at pacific power in oregon.....40th at mtn states in utah! Got a couple tests/interviews coming up at local puds but I do understand the amount of competition for these. I will never give up and will fight my ass off for a position.... I Know I will be a journeyman someday no question about it.

You've got the right attitude. And honestly, more qualifications than me. You will catch a break eventually man. Good luck at the ALP!

I would suggest the Memory test first. And if at all possible, dont practice. Other than that, if you dont drop anything throughout the courses you should be good. Easy stuff!

7. Default

Thanks man!! I hope it goes well!! Ive been unemployed for 2 in half months and I cant stand it!! Been signing books like no other! I also have my class A cdl which should help. Good luck to you in the future also

Yeah that was one thing I was able to do before going in to the interview. I got my CDL class A Permit. Not the full blown license but I did get the permit. Ive got years of general construction experience under my belt but nothing related to Lineman work.

The interviewers kept saying "Good, Good" to my answers to their questions. They were happy to hear I went out and got my CDL on my own. And when I admitted that I had no experience with line work but have worked with electricity both residential and commercial and that I understood how Ariel and Buried service entries worked they said that they dont expect us to know anything. Just general experience in construction was good enough and that they opened the position with training as part of the process because lineman experience wasnt required and they didnt expect everyone who applied to have that experience.

Everything went well. I was waiting for the call for the job. But when I started seeing the guys on here dropping like flies to the sorry letter thats when I got worried. A couple that graduated lineman school didnt get the job and thats when reality hit me and then a week later I got my sorry letter.

Lame, but its reality. Ive got applications in other places also so we will see.

Let us know how your ALP goes!

Just got the "unfortunately" letter from PG&E for one of the positions i applied for. I can only assume that the others are soon to follow. But who knows, maybe dreams can come true. lol. If this doesnt work out i'll just have to keep on working towards a position at another time and with another company. I'm going to get my CDL in the meantime. Hopefully that will give me a leg up on the next go round.

Featured Sponsorr

Quote Originally Posted by Roofus View Post
    Just got the "unfortunately" letter from PG&E for one of the positions i applied for. I can only assume that the others are soon to follow. But who knows, maybe dreams can come true. lol. If this doesnt work out i'll just have to keep on working towards a position at another time and with another company. I'm going to get my CDL in the meantime. Hopefully that will give me a leg up on the next go round.
    Same here. I got the letter for the davis area at 4:15am. One down, sixteen to go...