Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Skin Cancer

Featured Sponsor

I hate the "C" word.

I am glad you are getting it taken care of, and that it hasn't matastasized. Further good luck to you....and Lood.

I had a little cancer scare with my eye recently I talked about in the safety forum....
    All falls are preventable.....

I worked outside most of my life. Been lucky in that area. Keep on top of it! I think posting this stuff might make somebody get them selves checked out.
    National Grid = Retired! US Army vet. 68 - 70
    As of April of 2010 I quit smoking! It's been hard but so far no butts! I am now an X smoker!

On my visit to Australia I noticed they give their workwear a sun protection factor rating. I thought all fabric would block the sun, but some materials do pass UV. Fortunately they tend to be the synthetic materials that are avoided in electrical work.

Here in Scotland we don't get sunburn. We get frostbite instead.
    Portable defibrillators were first invented to save the lives of linemen. Where's yours?

www.bigclive.com

Default Short sleeves?

Used to wear them some still they got so sticky about it. Funny, at PSO the first FR stuff they issued was short sleeves. Later they woke up and issued long sleeves and banned short sleeves. Brilliant.

I remember once I was temporary foreman as the regular one was on vac. We had to borrow a guy from Casper to make up a 3 man crew. He was kindofa goofball. He showed up in blue jean cutoffs that he intended to change from once we were on the job. We came to the job and he got out his tools. We were miles from anywhere and he said. You mind if I climb in these shorts? I said. I don't give a damn. He climbed to the top of the pole, safetied off and looked down and said. Damn, I wish I had a picture of this. Course no one had a camera. Funny guy. Good thing Old Lineman wasn't around, he'd still be running and stuttering probably. CPR probably.

Post Short Sleeves

Our company still gives the linemen the choice of short or long sleeves. The logic is that if your close enough for an arc burn then you are close enough to be in gloves and sleeves. BTW outside the substation fence our fault current is only about 4.5KA and all of our major circuits have highspeed vacuumn reclosers. The combination means that for distribution line work we only need an ATPV of 5. For some of you other guys, especially in city networks your probably dealing with 3 to 5 times the fault current. There are advantedges to working at a rural Cooperative.

Default Rea.

Wuz you there the day, we burned down the REA?

Iffin you wuz as quick as old Swampgas you wouldn't need all that bullet proofing sissy stuff.

Old boy I worked with once said they were stringing over an REC line. He had climbed the REC pole and was sliding on some guts. Said an REC hand came driving up and said. Who authorized you to climb that pole? He replied. Well if you don't want your sh-t burned down I can take em off.

Quote Originally Posted by thrasher View Post
    Our company still gives the linemen the choice of short or long sleeves. The logic is that if your close enough for an arc burn then you are close enough to be in gloves and sleeves. BTW outside the substation fence our fault current is only about 4.5KA and all of our major circuits have highspeed vacuumn reclosers. The combination means that for distribution line work we only need an ATPV of 5. For some of you other guys, especially in city networks your probably dealing with 3 to 5 times the fault current. There are advantedges to working at a rural Cooperative.
    What about secondary arc flashes? There are no sleeves in use then.
    All falls are preventable.....

Just so you know, that can be genetic and already at my mere 37 years I've had some cut off but of course we young-ens have it easy!

Default Squamous Cell Carcinoma

I had skin cancer 14 years ago, I'm sure my light-skinned Scotch-Irish lineage had nothing to do with it, ha! I got 3 bad sunburns as a kid on the cherry farm. Plus I've had some frostbite on my cheeks. Any skin trauma can lead to skin cancer. Smoking is also a cause. I wear sunscreen religiously ever since. I usually wear a cowboy hat if I'll be in the yard or fishing for a long period of time. I don't wear the cowboy hat running, too much wind resisitance. lol

Featured Sponsorr

My father had some frozen and cut off the side of his face when he was in his 50's. 'Course he died of heart disease at age 53.

Glad you guys are on top of this. I have a good friend and co-worker that is going to have surgery on Monday. She has breast cancer.