Hybrid View

1. Default PG&E lineman apprenticeship questions...

I have been applying for a PG&E lineman apprenticeship for a very long time. I finally got a call the other day from PG&E telling me my resume is under rewview, and that I need to take a few pre employment tests- PTB and IST. Im taking the tests this friday. I have been studying related material based off the study guides given on their website.

-How hard are the tests and is there anything specifc I should watch out for?

-How long does it usually take to get a phone call back letting me know if I passed or not?

-If I do pass what is usually the next procedure, and how long does it usually take?

Any advice is much appreciated!!!

2. Default

This is a late but might help.

1. Pysical test battery(ptb) and the IST(industrial skills test).
    Basic math such as + - x and division. Then some decimal work and other stuff. Remember the ptb is a timed test, and its not the amount of questions you do but the amount you get right so if you get one right, and only did one, thats 100%. So take your time. The IST is a newer test im not familiar with, seems easy thou as long as u understand basic basic mechanical knowledge.

2. Results usually come 1-2 weeks via mail. Or since the one way into the line department apprenticeship is to start as a pre-apprentice. So I think they will contact you soon to get you in for the A.L.P which is after you pass the written tests. This test is the physical portion. 5 differnt parts. 1. climb pole steps up to like 25' 2. stab in/bat in cross arm at the ground level on pole steps without dropping the thru bolt. 3. Take a ride in a bucket truck to the top of a 60' pole and remove and put back in a glass (Stack) insulator without dropping any nuts. 4. Pull up a cross arm with 1 glass insulator up to the top of a pole, (75 pounds). 5. Memory test take items to certain places, for instance take wrench to table 5 then reverse process.

3. Get thru and interview time, foreman supervisors etc will ask questions about if your willing to travel CA etc, past experince etc.,

4. Pass interview and job offer starts 25.00$/30.00 after 6 months. get class A driver lisence. 1 year as groundman/pre apprentice postion. get thru as a groundman, then make apprentice for a 4 year apprenticeship with pay increases every 6 months. It will not be easy.

good luck.

Default Pre-Apprentice Training

Does anyone have any info on the 6 week training for pre-apprentice lineman? Are the tests really difficult? Do they tell you exactly what you need to study?

4. Default

I am not sure what the testing is like. Basic climbing etc. Do know they are strict thou. Dont be late no cell phones etc or your out.

I can give a little insight on the interview since there isnt much info posted on here about it.

There will be two reps interviewing you. I forget their position within the company.

They use this odd "S.T.A.R." interview method. I forget exactly how it went but it was something like this.

STAR stands for the following...

S - Situation

T - I forget

A- Action

R - Result

They begin with asking regular questions. What tools are you familure with, ect. But they actually dont go very far with asking you about previous work experience. What they do is they ask you about certain sitiuations you've been put in and you have to answer using their "Star" process. You begin telling them the "Situation" and end with the "Result". Before the interview you are informed that they dont want to hear "I would of...." they want to hear "I did....". It was a pretty unique interview. But remember, your not going to be given a chance to talk up your skills. They will have your resume for that. In the end they will ask if you have any questions for them then they will tell you that you will hear something within a couple weeks.

As far as the ALP testing, going into it I was mostly worried about letting something slip out of my hands because thats grounds for failure. It didnt happen and things went a lot smoother than what I figured.

A lot of people were using their practices on the "following direction" course (and regreting it). I didnt use any practices because I was so determined that it would look better during interview time than if I was unsure of myself and practiced. If I would have changed anything I would have done the "following direction" course first. I did it last and it was nerve wracking waiting for my turn and watching everyone screw up before me (I waited 20-30 minutes)

It was all easy stuff.

Hope that helps. If I think of anything else I will come back and post it. It would of been nice to have this info going into the ALP and interview so there you go.

6. Default

I took the Post-Offer Physical Exam yesterday in Livermore and it was a bit tougher than I expected. Nothing crazy hard.... but there was a 40 pound hot stick portion that was a bit grueling. They hooked me up to a heart monitor and kept constant track of my heartrate during the entire test. There were 5 portions...

1. Lift 112 pound box onto a 2 foot high shelf.
    2. Belt onto an artificial pole and lift a 74 pound crossarm from belt high to head high and hold for 2 seconds. (Drop the crossarm or let it touch the ground, you fail)
    3. Maintain control of a hotstick for 5 minutes while placing the head of it in various locations above and behind you on a wall. (Drop the hotstick or let it touch the ground, you fail)
    4. Balance on each foot for 30 seconds.
    5. Climb 3 pole steps up and down 15 times.

Heart rate must never go above 220 minus your age or you fail.
    Heart rate must be below 100 before being allowed to take the test.
    Blood pressure must be below 160/100 before being allowed to take the test.

Good luck for those who get this far in the process.

7. Default

RJSIndeed, congrats on making it so far. If you don't mind me asking what was your previous experience in the field and schooling? Sounds like you are on your way man good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by pococo30 View Post
    RJSIndeed, congrats on making it so far. If you don't mind me asking what was your previous experience in the field and schooling? Sounds like you are on your way man good luck.
    We all have a line School certificate, Class A license, cpr/first aid....etc if you wanna be in the competitive loop.
    However you can still possibly get in with none of this....

9. Default

the memory test got me at first but i passed it, so take your time with it.