Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Default Power lineman slang/lingo/terms ???

Featured Sponsor

What's up guys,

I just thought of a kewl idea to post a thread dedicated to slang terms or terms that are usually associated with the trade and linework/line crews and their positions, as I am sure some on here are familiar with including myself. I thought it would be great for some of the new guys, I, myself trying to get into the trade, to know and learn some of these terms. Any input or add-ons would be appreciated...thanks in advance brothers...

I'll start with some examples:

1) Grunt/Tramp=groundman (entry level, little to no experience)

2) Ape= apprentice(ship) ( may be entry level, usually requires some level of experience but not required. In addition, some certs, to include: CDL, pole climb, CPR, etc..requires several steps to advance to the next level, ultimately acheiving journey level status)

3) JL= Journey Lineman/ Journeyman Powerline man (above an apprentice; usually acts as supervisor to apprentice and groundman. This person is seen as the "regular", and not the trainee or the foreman. Is able to act/work alone or with a crew of fellow JL, unsupervisored by foreman

4) Foreman= Supervisor/Lead Person. Has several years of experience as a JL, and is him/herself a JL (usually 5 or more years). Directs crew either directly or indirectly, of overall operation and/construction of area.

Last edited by 909preapprentice; 06-22-2011 at 12:30 AM.

2. Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by 909preapprentice View Post
    What's up guys,

I just thought of a kewl idea to post a thread dedicated to slang terms or terms that are usually associated with the trade and linework/line crews and their positions, as I am sure some on here are familiar with including myself. I thought it would be great for some of the new guys, I, myself trying to get into the trade, to know and learn some of these terms. Any input or add-ons would be appreciated...thanks in advance brothers...

I'll start with some examples:

1) Grunt/Tramp=groundman (entry level, little to no experience)

2) Ape= apprentice(ship) ( may be entry level, usually requires some level of experience but not required. In addition, some certs, to include: CDL, pole climb, CPR, etc..requires several steps to advance to the next level, ultimately acheiving journey level status)

3) JL= Journey Lineman/ Journeyman Powerline man (above an apprentice; usually acts as supervisor to apprentice and groundman. This person is seen as the "regular", and not the trainee or the foreman. Is able to act/work alone or with a crew of fellow JL, unsupervisored by foreman

4) Foreman= Supervisor/Lead Person. Has several years of experience as a JL, and is him/herself a JL (usually 5 or more years). Directs crew either directly or indirectly, of overall operation and/construction of area.

How bout you wait until you get in the field & you will learn the terms instead of asking on a forum? Last thing we need is a new unexperience guy join the crew as an groundman or ape & THINK he knows shit. As for as grunt being a groundman. That was back in old days when groundman were considered stupid & just labor. This is the 20th century! No respectable groundman going to allow you to call him/her a damn grunt! Get that term out of your head, but you don't know any better...

Ummmmmmm I bleve he was wrong anyway. Grunts will always be grunts. May hafta treat em a lil more respectful but the fact is they are a grunt, Not a lineman, not a supervisor, Just there to make the linemans job easier n maybe learn a lil sumpin along the way.I bleve you posed yer question in the proper forum, But he may have a point bout waiting. While lots of stuff has a slang name its often different from area to area.So I would advise learning the proper slang term that applies in your area.If you look wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy back in the linework forum I bleve many of those terms are explained.

Default Dictionary

Actually there is a dictionary with all the slang terms...

http://www.hubbellpowersystems.com/l...an/19-8011.pdf

It does vary area to area...only in Dallas they'll call a cutout a DOCO.
    Last edited by rcdallas; 06-22-2011 at 06:57 PM.

5. Default seriously?

i dont come on here very often mostly because of stuff like this. the last thing you need to know about linework is slang terms for line work. you will not learn anything on here is that pre? app, not even in the trade? stop checking your email and work harder for a job. im not trying to be a dick to this kid but seriously, your killing me. the only slang you need to know is (hey grunt) thats slang for; get the hell over here and you better have what he needs.
    also chance is missing some of the not so politically correct slangs. wonder why?
    Buy american made & when possible buy union made

That's pretty much it,,,I yell "grunt" and they all come running.
    They know,, I pay them from the neck down...
    If I have a shovel in my hand,they better have one in EACH hand...
    They know what the bottom of my climbing boots look like...

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by unionhand View Post
    i dont come on here very often mostly because of stuff like this. the last thing you need to know about linework is slang terms for line work. you will not learn anything on here is that pre? app, not even in the trade? stop checking your email and work harder for a job. im not trying to be a dick to this kid but seriously, your killing me. the only slang you need to know is (hey grunt) thats slang for; get the hell over here and you better have what he needs. also chance is missing some of the not so politically correct slangs. wonder why?
    OK..ok I guess this was a bad thread...lol. What do you expect Ima wanna be newbie. Bad idea!

Quote Originally Posted by 909preapprentice View Post
    OK..ok I guess this was a bad thread...lol. What do you expect Ima wanna be newbie. Bad idea!
    NO. While its best to learn by experience and to learn the proper terms before the slang, this field of work is hard to get into. Got better odds of joining Google or Facebook. Any information you can learn ahead of time WILL work to your benefit. I did the same thing before my interview with PG&E. Research everything. Get familiar with the slang because if your foreman uses it and you have no idea what hes talking about then your going to have a rough apprenticeship. I wouldn't recommend using the slang words until you've earned the right, BUT it is a good to understand the language. Doesn't mean you need to speak it.

Good thread. And the only ones that will give you a hard time about it will be the old school lineman here who have worked the trade for a long time and dont understand how hard it is for a newb to get started in this day and age.

Good luck, keep studying and let us know how it goes.
    Last edited by bamf123; 06-24-2011 at 06:27 PM.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by bamf123 View Post
    NO. While its best to learn by experience and to learn the proper terms before the slang, this field of work is hard to get into. Got better odds of joining Google or Facebook. Any information you can learn ahead of time WILL work to your benefit. I did the same thing before my interview with PG&E. Research everything. Get familiar with the slang because if your foreman uses it and you have no idea what hes talking about then your going to have a rough apprenticeship. I wouldn't recommend using the slang words until you've earned the right, BUT it is a good to understand the language. Doesn't mean you need to speak it.

Good thread. And the only ones that will give you a hard time about it will be the old school lineman here who have worked the trade for a long time and dont understand how hard it is for a newb to get started in this day and age.

Good luck, keep studying and let us know how it goes.
    I appreciate that comment bam..at least someone feels my drift here. I know I don't know anything about the trade but everything is a learning process and that's why I posted, so at least I'm familiar with different terms whether their standard or slang. I'm not worried about it, just inquiring on some knowledge for you grey guys, that want to bash the newbie...lol!

Featured Sponsorr

Ummmmmmmm actually most of the old guys here aint about bashing newbies.WE kinda like helpin em.We reserve our bashins fer the endless supply of BS from within our own ranks. Aint no such thang as a dumb question from a new guy.Best way to get an answer is to ask.