Default Self Rescue from a bucket

Featured Sponsor

What do you all use for self rescue from a bucket? Sky Genie? the tool from Bashlin? Something else? How often do you practice using it?

We use the unit from Bashlin and practice once a year.

I carry a device called a figure 8 in my bucket. You loop your rescue rope through it and over the top, it works very well. We practice once a year as well

3. Default Fool proof system

I see the Sky Genie name used. This type unit has no positive lock off, therefore, an almost free fall descent is possible.
    Seen it happen and have heard of injuries.
    Figure 8 also has no positive lock off and falls into the above category.
    In this type of activity we need a tool that the person using it has to intentionally deploy. This is especially true when dealing with novices and only using it once annually.
    The Petzel ID20L blows the aforementioned out of the water. It is EU certified where the others wouldn't even present their products for certification because of their design.
    The Old Lineman

Anthron Descender! That Sky Genie has seen it's days!

Also note that the grip operated descenders now have to lock the rope if gripped too tightly. This is because there were a number of incidents where people using the descenders panicked and their natural instinct was to grip it, which basically meant freefall.

I've got a traditional figure eight knocking about somewhere too. Kinda frowned upon though, since if you lose control of the rope you will drop. Also prone to lock-up if the rope slips on it, which is kinda awkward if you're in the middle of nowhere at the time. Nice simple device though. The only moving part is the rope.
    Portable defibrillators were first invented to save the lives of linemen. Where's yours?

www.bigclive.com

6. Default Bucket Truck Self Rescue

We use the Buckingham 106-50 buck self rescue system. we have the miller self rescue loops attached to our FR fall protecion so we can take the pressure off of the old jewels. We train once a year and pratice bucket truck rescue at the same time.

Default sky Genie

We use the sky genie descent device, and we rotate through bucket rescue, bucket evacuation, pole top rescue and underground vault rescue after our monthly safety meetings.

I only ever done it ONCE. The engine crapped out with me in midair. I used a handline , Split it, tied a bowline in a bite near the hook, slipped a leg into each loop. ran my belt over the standing part of the rope and buckled it, Grabbed the fall line and let myself down, I spoze thats not kosher today either. In fact It kinda makes me wonder how in hell I ever survived doing linework without all these new OSHA mandated rules.Come to think onnit I didnt fill out a JSA either.

Featured Sponsorr

Quote Originally Posted by Pootnaigle View Post
    I only ever done it ONCE. The engine crapped out with me in midair. I used a handline , Split it, tied a bowline in a bite near the hook, slipped a leg into each loop. ran my belt over the standing part of the rope and buckled it, Grabbed the fall line and let myself down, I spoze thats not kosher today either. In fact It kinda makes me wonder how in hell I ever survived doing linework without all these new OSHA mandated rules.Come to think onnit I didnt fill out a JSA either.
    That's how we came off 60% of the towers I worked. Just like threads on a screw are there only for removal... the lattice is there to get up...ropes are for getting down.