Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Default New Hoist Prototype

Featured Sponsor

Here are some pictures of a prototype of a two strap hoist that I designed and built. I think it would be very useful in the process of transferring dead ends both horizontal or vertical (take up on one strap and remove wire from dead end shoe, then simply let off and take up on other strap to transfer wire - each strap operates independently of the other).

It'd be great to hear any thoughts or feedback, please have a look and let me know what you think.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Herman, the last time I dead ended T-2 it was with a 6 ton hoist. I would never use a web hoist to dead end tensions of 8 to 10 thousand pounds. One nick in that webbing and it is cut and one has lost the wire. It would be to dangerous. As far as your photo of transferring two dead ends, it is no different then using two web hoists piggy backed. I don’t see that I would want what you are trying to sell.

Herman, I have been looking at your T-2 rigging, you would have to have a dyno on each conductor to keep equal tension on it. That is the reason for a block and sling attached to both grips so that both wires of the T-2 stay equal..

4. Default Cool design

I think your idea has alot of potential. It looks like it would work great in alot of scenarios. We "A" frame alot and your idea looks like it would be easier than two sets of cadillacs. We don't dyno wire just to transfer it but if it's bigger than 1/0 we use our big blue hoists and sometimes double them up. I think it would work really well on dead ends. It's kind of a pain to use two sets piggy backed and have a loose tail to deal with. At least you could have eerytging right there toghether. I like it. All we use is web hoists unless we are working transmission

I could see were it could be useful on distribution deadends in certain situations,like transferring a deadend from a shorter pole to a taller pole, but I don't really see where it would be used enough to justify buying it ie a specialty tool for those occasions, but who knows it might catch on and sell like hotcakes. Have you tried it out yet on different situations on deadend poles? Good luck with it anyhow.

Herman~
    I think it's a great product! I can think of multiple times just in the last few weeks I could have used it instead of double hoisting. What is the rating going to be on it? How much does it weigh compared to say a 1 1/2 ton lug-all? If you don't mind PM me with updates and let me know when there may be a demo for me to try!

Thumbs up Looks Good!

Great Idea. Terrific idea for energized dead-end transfers. Maybe mention NOT for work in certain applications (like 1195 bundle conductor or bigger t-2 on the EHV lines), but a great idea for smaller-medium type (or even larger) distribution work. In the entire scope of distribution work, this tool would serve a purpose. Of course each hoist will be rated for a ton limit. But a terrific concept. A true innovation.
    Last edited by Fiberglass Cowboy; 05-27-2011 at 08:29 PM.
    Proud to be an IBEW (Utility) Journeyman Lineman; and d@mned proud to be an Army Lineman (12 quebec) and an Operation Iraqi Freedom Veteran in the U.S. Army Reserve ...

8. Default

Apologies for the delay in responses, but I hope everyone's had a good Memorial Day Weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Highplains Drifter View Post
    Herman, I have been looking at your T-2 rigging, you would have to have a dyno on each conductor to keep equal tension on it. That is the reason for a block and sling attached to both grips so that both wires of the T-2 stay equal..
    I’ve been considering putting the dyno between the dead end shoe and the hook on the hoist.

Quote Originally Posted by Meat1 View Post
    I think your idea has alot of potential. It looks like it would work great in alot of scenarios. We "A" frame alot and your idea looks like it would be easier than two sets of cadillacs. We don't dyno wire just to transfer it but if it's bigger than 1/0 we use our big blue hoists and sometimes double them up. I think it would work really well on dead ends. It's kind of a pain to use two sets piggy backed and have a loose tail to deal with. At least you could have eerytging right there toghether. I like it. All we use is web hoists unless we are working transmission
    In distribution work it could all the way up to 336 or possibly 477 depending on tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Lineman North Florida View Post
    I could see were it could be useful on distribution deadends in certain situations,like transferring a deadend from a shorter pole to a taller pole, but I don't really see where it would be used enough to justify buying it ie a specialty tool for those occasions, but who knows it might catch on and sell like hotcakes. Have you tried it out yet on different situations on deadend poles? Good luck with it anyhow.
    It has been tested in mock scenarios but nothing in the field on hot wires due to the liability.

Quote Originally Posted by hotwiretamer View Post
    Herman~
    I think it's a great product! I can think of multiple times just in the last few weeks I could have used it instead of double hoisting. What is the rating going to be on it? How much does it weigh compared to say a 1 1/2 ton lug-all? If you don't mind PM me with updates and let me know when there may be a demo for me to try!
    The rating could be changed based upon the demand. Anything ranging from ¾ to 1 ½ depending on the customer need. The weight could be 1.5 times as much as a 1 ½ ton lug-all hoist or less pending on the material used in the manufacturing process.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiberglass Cowboy View Post
    Great Idea. Terrific idea for energized dead-end transfers. Maybe mention NOT for work in certain applications (like 1195 bundle conductor or bigger t-2 on the EHV lines), but a great idea for smaller-medium type (or even larger) distribution work. In the entire scope of distribution work, this tool would serve a purpose. Of course each hoist will be rated for a ton limit. But a terrific concept. A true innovation.
    Thanks for the feedback and hope to have it on the market someday!

Quote Originally Posted by herman5 View Post

I’ve been considering putting the dyno between the dead end shoe and the hook on the hoist.

Herman, are you even a lineman? I have never seen the dyno placed as you stated. Maybe there is some part of the country that does. Have you ever worked with T-2? I don’t think you have because one must have an evener on both conductors or you will mess up the wire.

Your rigging
    Name:  t2.jpg
Views: 1246
Size:  12.4 KB

You can see the evener at the end of the hoist, going to two grips. One one each conductor. 477 T-2 deading in at 10500lbs.

10. Default Distribution hoist

Featured Sponsorr

I think this design is to be used on distribution wire not transmission. We dont use the same hoists for transmission,we use chain hoists. We don't use any kind of web hoists on transmission ever.