Hybrid View

Default Thoughts, experience, or rules on falling objects

I would like to see your thoughts, experience, or rules on falling objects. I also posted this in safety just to cover both sides of the issue.
    How do decrease the hazards and reduce accidents from falling objects?
    How do you reduce the number of objects dropped?
    Can a load be dropped (let loose to free fall)? Such as cutting a pole?
    Within aerial lift weight capacity, do you raise material in a lift (bucket)?
    If you do raise material in a lift, how is it secured or controlled?
    How do you prevent things being from being dropped (how are tools and equipment secured when going up)?
    How do workers below protect themselves from anything falling or being dropped?
    Is the area below workers aloft roped off, coned or taped off?
    Can workers be present at any time underneath other workers?

Appreciate any information you have?

Trojan, my solution is simple. I will not work with idiots. If I take a call and the crew I am placed on is idiots….I drag and go back to the hall and get another referral. If I am on an established crew and a new employee is an idiot get them run off or fired by the end of the day.. It is the process of elimination.

Default Agree - - -but......

Quote Originally Posted by Highplains Drifter View Post
    Trojan, my solution is simple. I will not work with idiots. If I take a call and the crew I am placed on is idiots….I drag and go back to the hall and get another referral. If I am on an established crew and a new employee is an idiot get them run off or fired by the end of the day.. It is the process of elimination.
    Drifter, I agree, I don't want to work with idiots and I try to avoid them. On the other hand, we have had some very good linemen injured and killed for various reasons but not becuse they were idiots. Nobody can perform 100% everyday.
    I guess I 'm not looking for ideas to make the work idiot-proof (could that be done?) but to help protect workers when something goes wrong or somebody makes the inevitable mistake.

We are never suppose to air mail things up or down, but I would be lying if I said I never did either. I have blocked a lot of poles & just pushed them over, but I make sure everything is clear & there is nothing that could be damaged on the ground. There is never a guarantee that something will not fall, people on the ground have to look up & the same for the guys in the air. Most of our buckets are MHAD & they can handle up to 2000lbs in the right configuration so we will use them to raise & lower some things.

"Air Mailing" objects from a pole is a big no-no for every job. But I would say that there is not one lineman around that hasn't done it at least a time or two in his career. Topping/cutting poles is probably one of the most common forms of Air Mailing, but I know that where I work everyone on the crew is well informed to stay clear, and it is discussed before it takes place. Tossing up connections, small hardware, etc. is also a bad work practice, though it goes on from time to time too. I have witnessed a broken windshield from a 10" bolt trying to be tossed to someone on a pole, and that is real hard to explain to the boss-man!
    I would see these work procedures as a caculated risk, and you better make sure that your calculations are correct! A handline or a material handler is always the best way to go no matter what!

Default Informed of object drops

Tamer,
    Yep, tied up on a line or mat'l handler is best. I've seen smaller stuff hit a wire and go in the completely opposite direction of its original path. If you're dropping, you said everyone is well informed. Our company is big on noting hazards on job briefs. Would you note something like a planned drop on a written job brief. I can hear everone now, griping 'bout the job brief. It's not mine. OSHA requires a pre job talk and I think a lot of comapnies use the job brief form to document that the brief takes place. if it's required, I hope it is used a last check nand a pause before jumping into work.
    so anyhow, do you note the palnned drops?