Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
  1. Default

Featured Sponsor

nice job miller, they are gonna have a class of 30 in july so when thats done your ranking will drop about a week or two after. if they keep interviewing there is a chance people will past you on the list but probably not by much cuz from what the director said, their were some awesome interviews in the last couple of days. 909, its true man u can work anywhere in cal/nev and if they need you out of that they will ask you if, i wouldnt say no though cuz they also remember when u turn them down.

Quote Originally Posted by newbie909 View Post
    nice job miller, they are gonna have a class of 30 in july so when thats done your ranking will drop about a week or two after. if they keep interviewing there is a chance people will past you on the list but probably not by much cuz from what the director said, their were some awesome interviews in the last couple of days. 909, its true man u can work anywhere in cal/nev and if they need you out of that they will ask you if, i wouldnt say no though cuz they also remember when u turn them down.
    Thanks newbie! Hopefully all works out and I get in soon. In the meantime, I'm heading up north to good ole livermore to take the ALP test for PG&E on saturday. You all be safe and take care and ill give an update when I get back...

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by miller-mechanical View Post
    Thanks newbie! Hopefully all works out and I get in soon. In the meantime, I'm heading up north to good ole livermore to take the ALP test for PG&E on saturday. You all be safe and take care and ill give an update when I get back...

Drive up there Friday, go to Vacaville & sign the Groundman 3 books!!!!! They close at 4pm!! Bring your 1st aid,cpr card, lineschool cert, drivers license, ss card, & any other certs you have!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by HardWorker! View Post
    Drive up there Friday, go to Vacaville & sign the Groundman 3 books!!!!! They close at 4pm!! Bring your 1st aid,cpr card, lineschool cert, drivers license, ss card, & any other certs you have!!!!!!!
    Thanks for all the help brother! I am definitely gonna do that.

Default I wore a tie!!!

I worked for two years as a grunt, everybody telling me I should be an ape. Started climbing class at 38 years old. The joke was I'd top out and retire on the same day. Since topping out, I have worked as a JL, foreman, CAL-NEV apprenticeship instructor, and general foreman on transmission and distribution jobs. I work in 47 when I want, and also run international live-line training programs.
    The point is if you want stick with it, it'll show in the interview.

Bring letters of recommendation from previous employers and teachers. Especially any JL or foremen if you've worked in the trade.
    Currently, a CDL Class A unrestricted is probably the most valuable thing as far as any of the certs go. (Technically you are not required to complete your CDL until end of second step)
    Osha ten is given during the program as well as CPR and first aid.
    The various climbing schools are sometimes an actual hindrance, as the thought is the JATC doesn't want to start off with bad habits formed.
    Express (only if it is true) that you have very strong pro union feelings and desire to be in the BEST DAMN union in the world, period.
    Let it be known in the interview that you respect the men in the trade and understand what a truly special opportunity you have in front of you.

I wore a dress shrit, slacks and a tie... the only interviewee that I ever saw do it.... the committee actually laughed, then asked me why I dress like I did. I responded, "to show respect for you gentlemen, and in the hope that this is the last time I'll ever have a job interview again!!"

BTW, since then, I have been the interviewer, looking at you all!!!
    Lineman by trade, union by choice. Surfer for life!

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by surfinlineman View Post
    I worked for two years as a grunt, everybody telling me I should be an ape. Started climbing class at 38 years old. The joke was I'd top out and retire on the same day. Since topping out, I have worked as a JL, foreman, CAL-NEV apprenticeship instructor, and general foreman on transmission and distribution jobs. I work in 47 when I want, and also run international live-line training programs. The point is if you want stick with it, it'll show in the interview. Bring letters of recommendation from previous employers and teachers. Especially any JL or foremen if you've worked in the trade. Currently, a CDL Class A unrestricted is probably the most valuable thing as far as any of the certs go. (Technically you are not required to complete your CDL until end of second step) Osha ten is given during the program as well as CPR and first aid. The various climbing schools are sometimes an actual hindrance, as the thought is the JATC doesn't want to start off with bad habits formed. Express (only if it is true) that you have very strong pro union feelings and desire to be in the BEST DAMN union in the world, period. Let it be known in the interview that you respect the men in the trade and understand what a truly special opportunity you have in front of you. I wore a dress shrit, slacks and a tie... the only interviewee that I ever saw do it.... the committee actually laughed, then asked me why I dress like I did. I responded, "to show respect for you gentlemen, and in the hope that this is the last time I'll ever have a job interview again!!" BTW, since then, I have been the interviewer, looking at you all!!!
    surflineman,

you are an inspiration brother! I will take your advice and keep this in mine when my interview date is near...

Just recieved my letter from the JATC a week ago, it says i have successfully applied and am qualified, and they will send me another letter in one to two months with the next interview date. Was hoping id already have an interview by now..oh well.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by noctis7777 View Post
    Just recieved my letter from the JATC a week ago, it says i have successfully applied and am qualified, and they will send me another letter in one to two months with the next interview date. Was hoping id already have an interview by now..oh well.
    Good job N7,

If I may ask what kind of experience do you have? any certs? if so what kind? THe office said they got my appl. on the 16th of May; however, I have not heard, anything. I put that I didn't have no exp. nor any certs is that maybe why they havent got back with me? anyway, thanks, gookluck and keep us updated!

9. Default Es

ES,

have you checked your PM lately.

Default keep in mind

Featured Sponsorr

Hey guys that are waiting for interviews...keep in mind that the work picture was very slow for the last couple years, many apes were laid off and the apprenticeship cut the numbers way back. They are just now gearing up again. Federal law says they have to take everyone in order. So they are working through a major backlog of several years. Many previous applicants have moved on so... just be patient. If you want it stick with it.
    Lineman by trade, union by choice. Surfer for life!