Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
  1. Default

Featured Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by newbie909 View Post
    good stuff miller sounds like you did well. i know that over a hundred interviews were being done this week. when i interviewed they had two seperate rooms with interviews being held but they said that they were not going to do that anymore cuz it was just too hectic and hard to figure out who was more qualified then the other. from what they told us today,their is a lot more qualified people then in the past and even in the current class they have going on this week. so if you made a good impression, there is a class that they will be held on the first week of july and its going to be about 30 people in it. for the guys that havent interviewed, i cant emphasize how much you have to try and convince the panel on how bad you want to become a lineman. my suggestions to you, is to maybe know your knots, sign local 47 book (even if they dont call you, it shows that youve tried), take pics of yourself on the pole, any experience helps, class A permit at least, good attitude (not cocky), make sure your not scared of heights (considering that there is a lot of work right now where you will be over 200+ feet in the air), listen to what they say and remember their names so you can thank them for their time after the interview. Good luck guys i wish somebody would have told me this stuff before i got into this, but just like everything else in this trade is that you'll learn something new everyday.
    Thanks for the input newbie. How's the orientation coming along?

2. Talking

nice man it was a small class. it was suppose to be a 20 person class but only 13 people showed up and there is only 10 left. we are all going to work on monday. some in san diego and some in lancaster. only 2 days left cant wait!!!!

Default apes goin to work

Don't ****'n worry about if your gonna be close to home or not you snot nose wanna be's,,,,,, it's gonna be motel 6 for a long time so get used to it......

Quote Originally Posted by 909preapprentice View Post

OK Weirdo ass just A simple question.. don't gotta get all anal on us.

Well it is fairly simple, Electric Squirrel has gone through his apprenticeship and is a Journeyman Lineman. You are trying to get your foot in the door to maybe get a shot at an apprenticeship and E.S. answered your question and you blew up. Tone done that attitude of yours, a good interviewer can see the things you try to hide. Now that is a tip for your interview.

Hey all, I got my interview results today. I'm ranked 60. I was hoping for better but it is what it is. Anyone else get results yet? Thanks guys....

Default cal/nev

ok, 1st off sim not sure if you know this but this is a powerlineman apprenticeship. so you need to decide if you want to work low voltage as an inside wireman or high voltage as a lineman, im a 5th step in cal nev and am loving every minute of it. 2nd, i wouldnt suggest the glendale gig, had a friend that went through it few months ago and is still finsihing concrete, so no guarantee there. best of luck hope this helps.
    "That's What's The Matter"

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by miller-mechanical View Post
    Hey all, I got my interview results today. I'm ranked 60. I was hoping for better but it is what it is. Anyone else get results yet? Thanks guys....
    60 ain't to bad I guess. Just hang in there and you never know things change. Stick it out and you will get in. Good job! thanks for keeping us posted, brother!
    Last edited by 909preapprentice; 06-19-2011 at 07:46 AM.

8. Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by theFNG View Post
    ok, 1st off sim not sure if you know this but this is a powerlineman apprenticeship. so you need to decide if you want to work low voltage as an inside wireman or high voltage as a lineman, im a 5th step in cal nev and am loving every minute of it. 2nd, i wouldnt suggest the glendale gig, had a friend that went through it few months ago and is still finsihing concrete, so no guarantee there. best of luck hope this helps.
    FNG,

I read all the post you have posted...and my god!!!! you are one hell of a guy for sucking it out! you worked your ass off and earned ur 5th step brother! I'm tryna be there with you. I want to be a lineman and train through an ibew/union ape-ship. In my original post, I just asked if the inside wireman gig would be beneficial as work exp. so when i interview with CAL/NEV JATC it would impress them that I, at least, have some sort of electrical/construction exp. whether it be line construction or narrowback...and as for the glendale gig, it's the verdugo power academy sponsered by glendale water and power/glendale comm. college; which is a 600 hour pole climb cert. course. isn't that similar to LATTC and ELASC's program? It's a new program many don't know about...From my knowledge it is actually more competitive than the other two b/c there is no waitlist and you actually have to have a formal interview with the manager and 2-3 lineman from GWP (Glendale Water and Power) to be placed in the program; so your not a number in line, your actually being interviewed. but hey what did your friend say he got out of it? and what did you mean by he was "still finsihing concrete." does that mean he is not getting anywhere? Nonetheless, could you enlighten me and the rest of us wanna-be's about the interview process @ CAL/NEV? and what to expect from ur POV, far as wait time for the interview from the time you applied to the time you got interviewed and what was ur rank once placed and how long did it take you to get indentured and what kind of certs/exp. you had? thanks in advance, and congrats on 5th step...ur almost there brother!
    Last edited by 909preapprentice; 06-19-2011 at 08:08 AM.

Hey all. I talked to a few more people from class that also interviewed. One that I thought for sure would be a shoe in scored an 87. He has exp, crane cert, cdl, osha 10, cdl and he is on the sunrise project right now. Another cat barely out of high school, no exp,no cdl,no osha 10, only a climbing cert got accepted into the class and starts on the 5th of july. Goes to show you that anything can happen. Wonder if age has anything to do with it??? Ill keep posting as I hear.

10. Post

Featured Sponsorr

Mechanical, If your friend is working as a groundsman on the Sunrise project maybe they gave him a rank of 87 because he's working & 1st step apes make less than groundsman do. So keeping him as a groundsman for now, not having to replace him & bringing in a fresh ape none experienced would make the contractors more & union more money. The only question they ask you at the interview is why you want to be a lineman, so I don't know what your friends answer was. Maybe that got him a ranking that high. I don't know just a thought. If you get on a good crew as a groundsman you pretty much are an apprentice, u get treated like one, called one, trained as one if you a good groundman & your journeyman see that you want to be an ape they will take you under their wing & train you as an ape. You just arent "supposed to" climb poles, so to say.aha! Always remember, a good ape or groundsman ALWAYS has tape & a knife in his pocket! Be a quick learner, learn the 1st time they show u how to do something, & don't fake it, don't say u can do something when u can't! Mechanical, check DM.
    Last edited by HardWorker!; 06-19-2011 at 01:51 PM.