Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Default anyone heard when LA will hire new ECHs

Featured Sponsor

I know some people are saying that the hiring freeze won't effect the workers in 'the field' but I was wondering if anyone had any additional information(hard info or just rumors). I scored well on the ECH test earlier this year and just got my climbing cert. Now I'm waiting for anyone here in So Cal to start hiring.
    Thanks

2. Default

Not for the next 3 to 4 years, where did you get your climbing cert. from?

3. Default

Got my cert from Verdugo Power Academy.
    Where did you get your info from? I see on the LA personnel page that they are currently hiring Journeymen and apprentices. That means that there will be a shortage of ECHs because that's where the apprentices will be coming from(or tree surgeons).

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by climbingNerd View Post
    Where did you get your info from? I see on the LA personnel page that they are currently hiring Journeymen and apprentices. That means that there will be a shortage of ECHs because that's where the apprentices will be coming from(or tree surgeons).
    I got the info from my brother that's a JL with ladwp. Whats Verdugo Power Academy, never heard of it?

5. Default

its offered through GCC and taught by GWP.

6. Default

its offered through GCC and taught by GWP.
    How was the school, a lot of bookwork or climbing? I went to the ELASC and that was no joke!

7. Default

I inboxed you some info about the school.

if you want a blunt answer....
    I would look elsewhere bro...they have a hiring freeze end of story, i know someone whos in the top 5 on that ech test lst, and he hasnt even been called for an interview yet.
    They will probly get there ech's from internal people and the union first. Same with edison only hiring internal..you can pass the cast and interview but good luck getting in unless your super lucky. There are so many applicants and the competiton is just gonna get more fierce. I would look out of state or up north....
    I just got in with PGE and i feel dam lucky....either way good luck to you

9. Default

Many other companies hire more often, just look around

10. Default

Featured Sponsorr

I know some people are saying that the hiring freeze won't effect the workers in 'the field' but I was wondering if anyone had any additional information(hard info or just rumors). I scored well on the ECH test earlier this year and just got my climbing cert. Now I'm waiting for anyone here in So Cal to start hiring.
    Thanks

Hey dude, don't give up hope. ECH is an open position. It is non-promotional. The position will be filled from the test list only, which means you will be competing with those on the list, not competing with internal candidates as others have suggested. As for hiring freeze, they just picked up a class of apprentices. The freeze applies to non-essential personnel.

The ECH position is used all over the city in several departments. Hopefully, you didn't send back the form that accompanied your test score restricting the department you wish to receive notices from. If you receive a job offer from another department, take it. Once you become a permanent employee, you can transfer when a position opens up, as an internal candidate. If you scored high, chances are you'll get an interview with DWP. After that, it's up to you if they hire you or not.

If you really want to work for DWP, KNOW YOUR KNOTS and ratings, get a rigging certfication, class B License, CPR cert, learn electrical theory - ohms law, series and parallel circuits, traffic delineation, OSHA regulations, GO95, and try to get some expereince in the electrical field with an electrician as a laborer, or as a laborer in construction. Study the tools and hardware of the trade. Know what to use and when to use it. If you can show that you possess this knowledge in your interview, your chances of getting hired will greatly improve.

If you smoke pot or use drugs, stop imediately. If you have any DUI's on your record in the past 3 years, they won't hire you. DON'T DRINK AND DRIVE!

Finally, if you are lucky enough to get hired, be ready to bust your ass and work 7 days a week. If you can't keep up, you'll wash out in the first 6 months. You'll be digging 10" holes in 100-115 degree heat, breaking concrete, swinging sledge hammers, twisting nuts, hammering lags, pulling cable, lifting wire, pulling up fully loaded crossarms on hand lines and whatever else your journyman and foreman tell you to do. Believe me, DWP isn't giving away jobs, you have to earn them.

Goodluck and dont give up!
    Last edited by 3phaseset; 07-15-2011 at 02:16 PM.