Default What I did to get into the Lineman industry

Featured Sponsor

Hey brothers I just got "IN" and im very excited, its been a tough journey.

I thought I would help everyone thats serious about becoming a lineman by telling you what I did to get this far.

1. Go to a lineman school and get your certificate!
    -There is alot of competition to get these jobs nowadays because of the economy and everyone and their grandma hears about the money to be made..so they just apply hoping to get the job, If you have a cert it makes you standout from these applicants and shows youve committed to wanting this job..kind of like having a college degree i suppose. Ive noticed that all the empoyers are starting to require this as well...even if they say no cert required they'll only pick people with it..in Cali at least.

2.Get a unrestricted class A license
    -Although its not generally required it would be ideal to have a class A, most utilities get you a class B. It also shows your serious about this job by having a necessary requirement to do the work. Most outside contractors require a class a so if you have an b license your outta luck.

3.CPR/First aid cert.
    -The employers will most likely get this for you, however if you are serious you should get this too...remember every extra qualification makes you stand out that much more guys.

4.OSHA 10 cert
    -Another extra i got, helps to show you know safety which is big in this industry.

5.Update your resume and be patient
    -Be sure your resume is steered towards being an apprentice, apply to all openings, and then the wort part is being patient...

6.Brush up on your math and spatial mechanics skills
    -learn additon, subtraction, multiplication, long division as well as decimals, fractions and basic algebra. Also pick up a book on spatial mechanics. Alot of the tests to get in involve this stuff.

I Have all of the above qualifications, you dont need them all but I highly recommend number 1 if you want any chance of getting a job.

Also you must be open to leaving your family, parents, dogs, girlfriends, playstations, xbox 360s, etc. haha I really wanted to stay in SOcal and realized its not gonna happen right now unless i wanna wait for a couple years...im not THAT patient. I could be halfway through an apprenticeship by then. Think about it.

Apply for all open positions at all utilities if you wanna stand a chance, if your JUST applying at LA DWP like myself and the tens of thousands of others dont be dissapointed if you wasted a few years.

It took me 7 months after finishing line school to get my official job offer...it felt like forever but im glad I made it and hope this post helps other likeminded people!

Good luck to all and stay positive!

Who did you get picked up by?

3. Default

What school you go to and who you working for where?

Thumbs up Congratsss Bro!!!

Your On your way to a Beautiful Future and i can say without a doubt your an inspiration to ALL us WANNA-BE's & GONNA-BE's .I wish you the best of luck on your hard earned journey. Work hard and Play Harder. Get Ready to get your A** Chewed out and bust your butt 7 days a week.! Keep your head high and earn your reputation and respect.! being away from home can take a toll but when you know your providing greatly for your family "AND" doing what you love... theres no greater feeling. Congratulations dude and hope 2 be in your shoes sooner than later

Thanks all, went to L.A. Trade Tech, I got picked up by PG&E

6. Default

Congratulations, This should help all those that re still trying to get in

Featured Sponsorr

congrats, ill be starting school monday at NLC.... i hope to get on with pge when i get out since i live in n cali.... talked to a few pge linemen and they hate pge new hiring ways... mostly how they hire apprentices from the other side of the us and when they top out they leave pge and go back home to get a job... had a friend that used to work for pge as a lineman and thats what got me starting to want to become a lineman, btw where in n cali are you gonna be working out of? atleast your not to far from home if your going to be working in bakersfield or something like that.. but eureka.... thats gonna be far... good luck man and stay safe