Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Oppppppps

Default Oppppppps

Featured Sponsor

A couple of weeks ago I had an order to exchange a 3-phase transformer rated meter, old installation.........meter box retro-fitted with a socket adaptor......meter was showing a fatal error.........had to order meter......as it was a special meter for this type of business......Got nosing around the CT cabinet(which was really not a CT cabinet, just a connection box).....in a basement......needed a ladder to open the cabinet(a real beauty of a setup).......anyways found we had the wrong constant on the meter as the CTs were recorded at 1200:5....when I opened the cabinet found the CTs were 600:5.....anyway supervisor told me today my "catch" made the business that was wrongly metered over $100,000 richer......overbilled! Taught me to always check the CT ratios vs the ratios we have on record.....always do on new installs....seems like maybe I will concentrate a bit more on the "oldie goldies".......kind of made my day!
    Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration.”
    Abraham Lincoln

I am hoping that we have all of our mulitiplier mistakes cured, all of our miss wiring mistakes, at this time we double check each other on new installations double check with billing to make sure it is correct.
    Then annually we have an outside company come in and check all of our new installations.

Years ago we found a billing error with multi ratio CT's, cost the company over $200,000.00

I myself feel the metering dept. and meter readers are just as important as anyone else, they are the revenue for the company.

After a new install....in around 30 days we do an audit........we do not audit our own jobs........we have found no problems with our new installs.......but I am suspect of the "old stuff".........that is one thing I triple check is the CT ratios....on a new install.....

I think after this we will be concentrating more on verifying existing multipliers and wiring......as well as auditing the new installs.

Caught a underbill on a convenience store/Arby's last year that went the companies way.........accurate billing is a must in my eyes.

You sound like the guys I work with......we all work together and respect each others jobs
    Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration.”
    Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by electriklady View Post
    A couple of weeks ago I had an order to exchange a 3-phase transformer rated meter, old installation.........meter box retro-fitted with a socket adaptor......meter was showing a fatal error.........had to order meter......as it was a special meter for this type of business......Got nosing around the CT cabinet(which was really not a CT cabinet, just a connection box).....in a basement......needed a ladder to open the cabinet(a real beauty of a setup).......anyways found we had the wrong constant on the meter as the CTs were recorded at 1200:5....when I opened the cabinet found the CTs were 600:5.....anyway supervisor told me today my "catch" made the business that was wrongly metered over $100,000 richer......overbilled! Taught me to always check the CT ratios vs the ratios we have on record.....always do on new installs....seems like maybe I will concentrate a bit more on the "oldie goldies".......kind of made my day!
    Soooo.... did the "business give you a reward?????
    I'm sure they were very appreciative of your find!

hell no.....I am sure no one told them that a field grunt found the error............I told no one there of my findings.......only the company.
    Abraham Lincoln

hell no.....I am sure no one told them that a field grunt found the error............I told no one there of my findings.......only the company.
    Looks like your boss scored then!

u r probably right HWT........oh well...........I guess I will remain an "undercover superhero"..............
    Abraham Lincoln

u r probably right HWT........oh well...........I guess I will remain an "undercover superhero"
    Aren't we all un-sung heroes? I still think you should have at least gotten launch out of the deal! Nice catch, and honestly that business knows better to think the "company" caught that. I'll go ahead and give you that well deserved pat on the back!

Quote Originally Posted by hotwiretamer View Post
    Aren't we all un-sung heroes? I still think you should have at least gotten launch out of the deal! Nice catch, and honestly that business knows better to think the "company" caught that. I'll go ahead and give you that well deserved pat on the back!

well, I think in our industry pretty much everyone is an unsung hero....the product that we all work with in one way shape or form is something that most people take for granted......it is invisible.......until it is no longer there...then they actually notice that wonderful invisible thing called electricity...cause their lights dont work, the tv is blank, the water doesnt flow( if ya have a wel)l, the ac is silent, the food gets warm.... that is when they think of us and the job we do......we all know what we do in the course of a day.....in whatever job we do.......and I guess we are the only ones that need to know that......A pat on the back from an employee in the same industry I work in is A-ok in my book.....that and my paycheck makes it all goodddddddddddddddddd!
    Abraham Lincoln

Default Meter errors.

Featured Sponsorr

When I worked in wide and wonderful Wy. we had an error similar to that at the Teapot Dome oil field. Incidentally that's the same Teapot Dome that was a scandal years ago in the Harding administration.

To continue my tale. A good Meter man found the error. This is part of the U.S. Navy petroleum reserve and it seemed Uncle Sammy owed PP some back bill in the 6 figure area. The jerk who was in charge of the financial part there in PP was just gonna blow it off. The Meterman held his feet to the fire tho and they billed Uncle Sammy for it. It was paid without quibble.

They ought to give a finders fee on such.