Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Borrowed line truck

Featured Sponsor

This is what happens when you leave the bin door open and lift the riggers!
    Poor design in my opinion, but still no excuse I guess!
    We borrowed this truck from another district and they said, oh yea we forgot to tell you that!

Name:  wire transfer 004.jpg
Views: 678
Size:  78.7 KB

Default All it takes....

Is parking on a small decline on a slope, seen it happen to a crew, good picture, might save some guys a big headache.

Quote Originally Posted by hotwiretamer View Post
    This is what happens when you leave the bin door open and lift the riggers!
    Poor design in my opinion, but still no excuse I guess!
    We borrowed this truck from another district and they said, oh yea we forgot to tell you that!

Name:  wire transfer 004.jpg
Views: 678
Size:  78.7 KB
    Yeah and if that water keg don't get moved it's in just the right spot for a man to get his foot crushed trying to get a drink of water, I've seen it happen twice about 15 years ago on a line truck we had that was set up exactly like that one. Operator was at the back of the truck at the poleyard putting the stiff legs down and he never looked around the side of the truck to see if anyone was standing there, it crushed the lineman's foot, about a year later same truck different crew it happened again.

Quote Originally Posted by Lineman North Florida View Post
    Yeah and if that water keg don't get moved it's in just the right spot for a man to get his foot crushed trying to get a drink of water, I've seen it happen twice about 15 years ago on a line truck we had that was set up exactly like that one. Operator was at the back of the truck at the poleyard putting the stiff legs down and he never looked around the side of the truck to see if anyone was standing there, it crushed the lineman's foot, about a year later same truck different crew it happened again.

I think that water jug is there for a hand wash, nobody drinks out of a jug anymore. It is to hard to keep them sanitized. I have gotten sick from that style so often. It is all bottled water anymore. Maybe there should be a safety rule that all riggers need to be coned and any truck getting set up for work barricaded so anyone walking up would be warned. But then you could have a mandatory pad program so that when an out rigger pad is laying on the ground folks would keep out of the pinch point.

Default Hpd......

What do you mean, water coolers sanitized? Nothin like a warm glass of water on a hot day that tastes like a garden hose.

NFL..... I saw that happen also, at least I heard a guy scream, turned around and his foot was stuck under a rigger. He didn't get hurt seriously, can't help but chuckle about it, you should of seen his war dance for awhile, stuff like that always happened to him, I think if I remember right, he once used some of those UG cleaner rags that came in a container that looked like baby wipes to wipe with one time. So ya kinda get what I am sayin.

That is the drinking water jug on this truck. Good comments guys, I never thought about the placement of this jug being in a bad place, so close to that rigger. It brings "bad design" to a whole new light! We use RO system for our drinking water (including the ice) so the water isn't too bad, and we don't let anybody lip our water jugs!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lineman North Florida View Post
    There is a guy in our shop that had his foot crushed by a rigger. It broke all of his little bones in the top of his foot. Needles to say he took a job in the warehouse.

Quote Originally Posted by hotwiretamer View Post
    There is a guy in our shop that had his foot crushed by a rigger. It broke all of his little bones in the top of his foot. Needles to say he took a job in the warehouse.
    Yeah, it ruined one of the lineman and the other one was not as bad and he was back in a few weeks, It's just when I saw that picture you posted it brought back the thoughts of those 2 accidents like it was yesterday, I was only mentioning it so you would be aware of what could happen, a lot of things could have prevented it mostly the operator looking before blindly putting the stifflegs down and the rest of the crew being aware of their surroundings, they wound up moving the keg and there hasn't been any problems since.

Quote Originally Posted by SBatts View Post
    Crushed feet or Crushed Bin Door
    CRUSHED BIN DOOR
    [1] True it should have been closed. BUT!!
    (a) Why wasn't the outrigger operator visually watching the retracting of the outrigger.
    (b) There should have been a safety chain that holds it away from the outrigger.
    (c) Who was the one actually responsible for leaving the bin door open?
    (d) Was there penalties for the violations of the basic of all operator procedures.

I was seeing a lot of bin doors left open, and brought it up in a safety bulletin and at a weekly safety meeting. Well like usual a couple days later, a crew on an after hours trouble call crushed a door. EXCUSE: It was dark and they were tired.
    Cost? About $500 Truck used a week with no door, a day out of service to replace and the mechanics time.

Since this was just discussed I gave the 3 man crew off a day with out pay. It stopped the open doors.

CRUSHED FEET:

The best thing that happened was the outrigger warning buzzer, and in most cases outrigger controls at the rear where you could visually, watch the operation.
    In the good old days (Here Batts goes again) controls was sometimes mounted up at operators station an he couldn't see opposite side outriggers. We had a practice of verbally warning everybody and I mean loudly. We had in all that time one or to close calls. LUCKY? Maybe, I would like to think it was just good training by the great guys that taught me this trade.

As far as the placement of the water can goes, IT WOULD TAKE TWO COMPLETE IDIOTS TO CAUSE AND ACCIDENT HERE WITH THE OUTRIGGERS.
    BUT, I find fault with it being placed on the road side, leading to a greater chance of an accident to a worker from some idiot in a vehicle that an outrigger accident.

I agree with Johnny B. ain't nothing better than the taste of a water hose flavored water on a hot summer day.
    I posted about 2 accidents that happened on a line truck with a water keg setup like the 1 in the original photo figuring that it might help someone prevent the same thing from happening in the future, one of the lineman that got his foot crushed was far from an idiot, he was in the wrong place at the wrong time and failed to be aware of his surroundings something that happens all the time except most of the time nothing bad happens, lighten up a little.

Featured Sponsorr

I spoze if anyone was serious about preventing this type of accident they would require individual outrigger controls to be located at each outrigger.I suspect there is a significant cost involved to do that, as I havent seen it very often.But alarms are good and requiring pads is also good.Just not always good enough.