Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Got a call on a job!!

Featured Sponsor

Hey all. I know its not a lineman job, but its a foot in the door. I applied for a position as an electrical apprentice with my local utility. The same day I applied I got the call asking me to schedule a written exam for the position. Well, its an apprentice level job as either a electricians apprentice, cable splier appremtice, or meter tech apprentice.. Anywho, does anybody have any advice on what to bone up on the for the wirtten exam? Ohm's law, current, theory.. Or seeing as this is an entry level apprentice job, is it just going to be basic knowledge and they will train me on everything else I need to know. Any help would be greatly appreciated. At least its a foot in the door and will give me more knowledge without having to go to line school. At least this way I can learn by doing and have a leg up on getting into their pre-apprentice lineman program..

Quote Originally Posted by Roofus View Post
    Hey all. I know its not a lineman job, but its a foot in the door. I applied for a position as an electrical apprentice with my local utility. The same day I applied I got the call asking me to schedule a written exam for the position. Well, its an apprentice level job as either a electricians apprentice, cable splier appremtice, or meter tech apprentice.. Anywho, does anybody have any advice on what to bone up on the for the wirtten exam? Ohm's law, current, theory.. Or seeing as this is an entry level apprentice job, is it just going to be basic knowledge and they will train me on everything else I need to know. Any help would be greatly appreciated. At least its a foot in the door and will give me more knowledge without having to go to line school. At least this way I can learn by doing and have a leg up on getting into their pre-apprentice lineman program..
    Great news man!! congratulations...take this oppurtunity and make the best of it... I wish i could help with what to study on but im not sure myself..srry..im sure sum1 will be able 2 help u out...What utility is this job for ??

Its for SMUD. At least its a step in the right direction. I was able to find study guides and sample tests, so it looks like im going to have to bone up on my trig and what not. Wishe me luck. I'll keep you posted.

Thumbs up

Its for SMUD. At least its a step in the right direction. I was able to find study guides and sample tests, so it looks like im going to have to bone up on my trig and what not. Wishe me luck. I'll keep you posted.
    Thats great. SMUD is a great utility . GoodLUCK brotha and keep us posted with your sucess.

5. Default

Hey I got the email for the test as well, when is your test date? Does anyone know if they called in everyone that applied cuz they did that for the pre apprenticeship position last year

i applied for the exact same job. Do you know why they called you instead of emailing you? It said on the job description they would only contact via email...

I go in on the 10th for the test. I'm not too sure if they're testing all applicants, but I know theres about 1,300 of us that are testing. And as far as call vs e mail, I got an e mail, not a call. I was just really jazzed when I typed up the post. lol. I do hope that its not just a cold call for everybody and that there is some sort of selection for the testing...

wow, 1300 people? where did you get that figure from?

BATTS, thanks for the info. I've been studying up on everything I can get my hands on. Thus far i've got a pretty good understanding of everything. But im still making sure I know it like the back of my hand.

SMUD. I called their HR and asked. lol. Seemed the best way to know what the competition field was like.

Default have you had this problem

Featured Sponsorr

BATTS, thanks for the info. I've been studying up on everything I can get my hands on. Thus far i've got a pretty good understanding of everything. But im still making sure I know it like the back of my hand.

SMUD. I called their HR and asked. lol. Seemed the best way to know what the competition field was like.
    ive talked to some hr people from ames iowa,about a job,as a jy,all they wanted was proff of an apprentice program,i told them back in the 80s,our company made their own jy,and that i was in a 3 year apprentice program,and if you didnt pass the test,it was simple,you were fired,some companies wont think of hiring outsiders,once we got 2 apprentices ,one was pretty level headed and the other was like he was lost,as for me i like talking to a lineman about a new job prospect,not human resources,but thats the way some companies operate.