Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Featured Sponsor

Then there's the lineman that try's to make somebody else look bad so he can make himself look good or the one who is missing a finger or two or has those flash marks on him from previous accidents and still takes shortcuts.

Default types of lineman,

Quote Originally Posted by loodvig View Post
    There's the one who has to take a sh!t when his climb is next.
    ive worked for centerpoint,north houston pole&line,mpt,a contracter,and a off the wall contractor in flordia,thanks for the funny replies,i guess everyone has the shit lineman,and the lineman looking in the bins type,heres a few other types of lineman,,,theres the finder lineman that can find where the trouble is,but he never actually fixes shit,kind of like hes the only one that can find the trouble,we all know that type,theres the stocker lineman,that can find you a switch to replace,with the hopes that you will climb the pole,damn,we had a 12 kv switch on this line truck,then theres the early warning lineman,you can tell when a foreman or a supervisor is around ,cause he starts working suddenly,the guy has great eyes.then theres the what if lineman that cant work alone and always wants someone around,he says things like what if im in a urd pot and something happens,knowing the other lineman is over the fence,and might not be able to help,cause the damage is done,just work safe and try not to make a major mistake.

Default types of lineman

Quote Originally Posted by wtdoor67 View Post
    The bin lurker I worked with would wait until you started up the pole and then step out with a climber in his hand and say. "Why I was gonna get that one."

After awhile I just never made a move when it was his turn. He eventually got the message.

His other ploy was calling in sick if he found out we were gonna do something tough. We finally never would let him know if we had something requiring a lot of climbing. What a hand.
    this is the worst type of lineman,that i dont understand,the type,usually younger that climbs the pole,then wants to tell me what clamps he needs,i usually tell him nicely that hes a dumbass and ask if his wife had to dress him that morning,you know the type,the one that cant look from the ground,and see what he needs.

What about the guy that shows up does his job consistently, invents things on the fly, creates ways of getting the lights back on when it can't happen?
    You know that guy; the one that says we don't need the bucket, or the damned digger:we'll just go down there and hook it.

Hey screw the back lot machine, we'll tie the phase up in the tree with some bells and run the neutral on the ground: let's get the lights on and fix it in the a.m. when we have some light to work by (God gave us light we just can't out shine).

There are lineman that bring everything they have to the table everytime they eat at the OT plate.

I work with them daily.

Div III
    CVEC

I'm damned proud of the men I work with: good lineman everyone!
    And, If any of us are found slipping or wanting, we fix it amongst ourselves.

No need for diversifying junk with us.

CVEC DIV III

come get ya some!!!

work safely,

L. A. Martin
    Journeyman Div III
    CVEC
    There's no such thing as "The End Of The Line!"

If you think you are worth what you know, you are very wrong. Your knowledge today does not have much value beyond a couple of years. Your value is what you can learn and how easily you can adapt to the changes this profession brings so often. -- Jose M. Aguilar

Default Really?

dont know why you think that swampy. Things are still like that around here... we had 3 poles down in a no access area, and i mean NO ACCESS! not even a backhoe or 4 wheeler. We ended up batting a footing on the bottom of the broken poles made out of 4 crossarms and rope guyed them off to existing poles... all were some apprentices idea. It stayed up like that for 3 weeks till we could get back to it. Even operators have their time to shine. We have a couple that will dig a ditch, jump out of the hoe to glue pipe and push wire. i'm also from idaho, so things might be a little less unchanged than where you are from, swampy.
    And by the way everyone, just took my journeyman test! Passed with a 99%! I might be a pup, but i am looking forward to the future ahead!
    just because you cover a pile of sh*t with syrup doesn't make it a pancake.

Default types of lineman

heres a type i met 5 years ago,the guy was clean cut,looked like a good lineman,ect,turned out to be a fair weather type of lineman,was from washington d.c,had his jy card,didnt have a clue what a hi-leg was,208 volts ,what is that,didnt know what purpose a neutral served,didnt ever want to climb,when he did,he was just in the way,somehow this clown got a job out west,went to do transmission work out of a helicopter,or said he was,if so i need to pray for this guy,wow it is a different world,some younger ones will tell you that they cant work 16 hours,too tired,plus now i know there too busy on the cell phone,or looking at facebook,must be smarter than i was,i couldnt find time to do these new things,is there anybody like me that thinks that would the fastest way to get fired back when linework was all about linework,and a thing about the ot plate,,,,,,,,,,,,man that somehow went way over my head,you lost me on that one,please explain if you can.

Default I've seen him.

Quote Originally Posted by reppy007 View Post
    heres a type i met 5 years ago,the guy was clean cut,looked like a good lineman,ect,turned out to be a fair weather type of lineman,was from washington d.c,had his jy card,didnt have a clue what a hi-leg was,208 volts ,what is that,didnt know what purpose a neutral served,didnt ever want to climb,when he did,he was just in the way,somehow this clown got a job out west,went to do transmission work out of a helicopter,or said he was,if so i need to pray for this guy,wow it is a different world,some younger ones will tell you that they cant work 16 hours,too tired,plus now i know there too busy on the cell phone,or looking at facebook,must be smarter than i was,i couldnt find time to do these new things,is there anybody like me that thinks that would the fastest way to get fired back when linework was all about linework,and a thing about the ot plate,,,,,,,,,,,,man that somehow went way over my head,you lost me on that one,please explain if you can.
    Knew one once that showed up with a resume that would choke a horse. The hands on the crew were quite impressed. Numerous GF jobs, supts. etc. in his background.

After they worked with him a little they realized it was all a sham. They eventually treated him with contempt. After they did a particular job one hand would taunt him by saying. "Hey put this in your resume".

Cool All show and no go.

I learned that a JL who had to tell you how much he has done and how good he is, usually was not worth a Shit. A real Lineman lets his actions speak for himself. Also I do not get the OT thing,I worked a lot of OT to restore the power even though I would rather have gone home to a warm house. Old Retired Lineman
    Grumpy

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by hotwiretamer View Post
    How about the lineman that has "been there done that" all over the country, and when you start adding up the "years" he spent here and there, knowing his current age he would have been a Journeyman when he was like 5!!
    Now this is a classic!! I guess there's atleast one in every location!!

Featured Sponsorr

There's also lineman that travel in to somebody elses local and bring there ratty and suck ass ways and get GF and Forman jobs when they have never even worked on the property like what's happening at alot of yards at 1245 right now!!!
    IF YOU AIN'T IN YOUR TOOLS DON'T CHANGE THE RULES...BOYCOTT THE BUCKSQEEZE