Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Irish. Pylon. ?????

Featured Sponsor

Home for the weekend. BUT ! I see this tower line on the way on my way to northern ireland. (Belfast). Not a v good pic coz I was driving. but its a tower line with 3 phases on one side and 2 phases on th other. And no earth wire. I've no idea how this would work. ? Maybe someone knows on here. ???????? I will get a better pic tomorow. But trust me ! That's the way its constructed......
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    IF IT WASN'T FOR BAD LUCK WE WOULD HAVE NO LUCK AT ALL. !

I've milled over all the possibilities in my head and nope, I'm not sure what it's for either.

The first thing that came to mind was that it was a single three phase circuit with the earth and a spare wire on the other side to balance the strain on the tower. But then, why put the earth on insulators? Could it be a redundant stretch that they started stripping out and then stopped? Or that a line came down on?
    Portable defibrillators were first invented to save the lives of linemen. Where's yours?

www.bigclive.com

Default only new

Its a new line Clive. Built about 4 years. I kept thinking that they ran out of wire. But its strung from substation to sub station. Across roads rivers etc. I will have to look at the substation wheree it terminates and see if I can make sense of it. Maybe its one of those inotiive irish designs. Especially for the new 5 phase euro motors.

was up in naul doing a traffic management coarse couple of weeks ago
    and we were beside this it doesnt go anywhere mate it stops on the 2 phase side before the airport think the other side is in use tho
    engineers aren,t god,s

Maybe??

"Multi-phase power transmission is an important method to increase the power density transmitted. The principle of a new four-phase transmission is proposed, and the general characteristics of four-phase overhead power transmission lines are discussed. Four-phase overhead transmission lines have special advantages in multi-phase transmission lines, because of the good symmetry and the simple structure of the lines and poles. Under the same condition of parameters, four-phase transmission lines can increase the transmission capacity by 33.3%, compared with three-phase lines. As the land width occupied by four-phase lines decreases, the capacity transmitted in unit land width by four-phase lines increases by 41.0-88.7%, and the economical and environmental benefits are much more notable. The reliability and transient stability of the transmission system may be improved, because two adjacent phase conductors of four-phase transmission lines can operate. Attention from the power industry is expected"

Surely the problem with four phase is that it would have to be rectified and a new three phase supply generated for compatibility with the existing three phase equipment? How about just doubling the number of conductors or bumping up the voltage to get higher power throughput.
    Portable defibrillators were first invented to save the lives of linemen. Where's yours?

www.bigclive.com

Quote Originally Posted by bren guzzi View Post
    Its a new line Clive. Built about 4 years. I kept thinking that they ran out of wire. But its strung from substation to sub station. Across roads rivers etc. I will have to look at the substation wheree it terminates and see if I can make sense of it. Maybe its one of those inotiive irish designs. Especially for the new 5 phase euro motors.
    Not a transmission lineman, but is it possible for a D.C. transmission line?

Quote Originally Posted by lewy View Post
    Not a transmission lineman, but is it possible for a D.C. transmission line?
    That's what I was thinking I know in Nevada they have a million volt DC line that only has 2 phases that's probaly what it is
    IF YOU AIN'T IN YOUR TOOLS DON'T CHANGE THE RULES...BOYCOTT THE BUCKSQEEZE

Default don't think. so.

Quote Originally Posted by west coast hand View Post
    That's what I was thinking I know in Nevada they have a million volt DC line that only has 2 phases that's probaly what it is
    Don't think it will be dc ....... Most likely scenario is that they were building a normal. Double circuit 132 kva line. Should be 3 phase both side an a earth wire. And they either ran out of conductor before the line was fully built OR the job was stopped due to way leaves (access) . I THINK that its not properly finished yet.

Featured Sponsorr

Quote Originally Posted by bren guzzi View Post
    Don't think it will be dc ....... Most likely scenario is that they were building a normal. Double circuit 132 kva line. Should be 3 phase both side an a earth wire. And they either ran out of conductor before the line was fully built OR the job was stopped due to way leaves (access) . I THINK that its not properly finished yet.
    110kv you've been in blighty too long mate lol
    engineers aren,t god,s