Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Banking transformer

Featured Sponsor

On big banks what is the most transformers you've tied together at one time?

We just finished pulling in new URD and we have (9) 500 KVA transformers tied together. Is this common any were else? This is a old bank built in 97

Not sure I understand... why would you have the secondaries of nine transformers all tied together??? Wouldn't it make more sence to simply use one 5000Kva padmount?

The only thing I can think of is you need the KVA but the primary cable is too small to feed one big padmount.

Agree with topgrove doesn't make since are you sure there not feed through transformers how many primary bushings did they have 3 or 6 ???
    IF YOU AIN'T IN YOUR TOOLS DON'T CHANGE THE RULES...BOYCOTT THE BUCKSQEEZE

<....delete....>
    Last edited by rcdallas; 01-04-2012 at 12:22 AM.

Default Long story

Untill about 4 yrs ago we would not supply 3 phase pad mounts. We still only have about 15 in our system. The voltage on the bank is 13.8 and the secondary is 277/480

The URD is #2 primary
    The secondary is 500 copper to the Buss head
    The jumper wires tieing the banks together is insulated 556
    We have 10 hole paddles on all pots

If I get a chance tomorrow I will get a pic from the air and post it.

We are a small company with about 13000 meters. We never got into 3 phase pad mounts because the company said that every one we bought we would have to have a replacement for it so they wouldn't buy them.

I also have a good pic of a bank enclosure on fire if anyone is interested.

Pics are always good.

Do you work for a Muni, Coop, or IOU???

I realize OH pots are cheaper, but when you get into banking them like that, I'm not sure that would come into play anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by THE KID View Post
    Untill about 4 yrs ago we would not supply 3 phase pad mounts. We still only have about 15 in our system. The voltage on the bank is 13.8 and the secondary is 277/480

The URD is #2 primary
    The secondary is 500 copper to the Buss head
    The jumper wires tieing the banks together is insulated 556
    We have 10 hole paddles on all pots

If I get a chance tomorrow I will get a pic from the air and post it.

We are a small company with about 13000 meters. We never got into 3 phase pad mounts because the company said that every one we bought we would have to have a replacement for it so they wouldn't buy them.

I also have a good pic of a bank enclosure on fire if anyone is interested.
    Yeah I'd like to see that! We had a "transclosure" go up a while back but no one got pics of the fire?? By the time I got there the fire was out! What a mess! The fire was so hot there was not one chunk of copper or aluminum anywhere! It even burnt up the porcelain switchs! The only thing left was the cans (minus any lugs!) and the cabinet itself! I can't figure how the hell some sh!t seemed to vaporize but the cans and cabint survived? The residents said it looked and sounded like a jet engine pointin straight up in the air!

Hey that reminds me, we have padmounts for every voltage but 120/240/208 srvc's! They have to be "transclosures?" Anyone know why?

<....delete....>
    Last edited by rcdallas; 01-04-2012 at 12:21 AM.

Featured Sponsorr

Quote Originally Posted by rcdallas View Post
    I don't know what your calling a transclosure...and by 120/240/208 are you referring to a 120/240 delta bank?
    You Texans? Let me slow it down for ya, T-r-a-n-s aka TRANSFORMER + c-l-o-s-u-r-e aka an "ENCLOSURE" = a Transclosure!! Yes a 120/240 Delta!

BTW, when you comin up? We got some snow for ya cuz I know ya miss it!!