Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default lucky wee scoties

Featured Sponsor

They are lucky wee scoties that they are on generators. Coz it was supposed to go back in on thurs.. NO CHANCE ! We've hit rock at the pole beside the railway . We've the pole up but the 5 stays are gona take a few days. Pole rigged for pulling up and the hagalans in position to pull the wire up. ..... See pics
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    IF IT WASN'T FOR BAD LUCK WE WOULD HAVE NO LUCK AT ALL. !

Quote Originally Posted by bren guzzi View Post
    Fridge or not. Everytime ya switch out a line it seems the area is full of diabetics with insulin in the fridge and people on home dialisis. . You hit the nail on the head there me thinks. And its why you americans do so much live line work. Keeping the meter turning.with generators and good line design you can keep the meter turning and WORK DEAD. We install a lot of switches in our net works so we can isolate smaller sections. A few generators. People have the juice and we work in a safer enviroment. And get the job done quicker. Remember its law here that you must do a job the safest method. And working dead and useing gennies is the. Safest method.
    I agree working dead is the safest method. I also agree that if you put a set of switches at every pole & had generators available for every interruption, it would keep the meters spinning, the problem comes in trying to find an appropriate balance on cost. Our rates our among the lowest in the world & our population density is significantly lower than most, we have miles of line with few customers. I bet our reliability is very similar to yours 1 way or the other as is our safety record.

Default as you say

I agree with ya. But we don't have a switch every pole. But they are spread out to enable us to deaden sections. It doesn't take a lot of gennies to supply the houses that we've off this week. Only. 4 lv gennies and a the hv one. Its more health and saftey. We HAVE to use the safest method possible ( with in reason) or if anything goes wrong the company is in trouble. Even climbing poles "in our risk assesment book it states. That spikes are the final option and can't be used if a mewp is able to acess the pole. We are so wrapped up with saftey that we have to reverse park our vans "even at home" because it is "deemed" safer.

If a company is found guilty of not supplying the safest method of work then they are likely to end up in court.

I was in court once after a guy fell from a tower. AFTER 6 weeks in court the company had to pay thousands. SORRY I HAD TO LAUGH when the coroner gave the cause of death as " SUDDEN DE EXCELERATION TRAUMA". Ya couldn't make it up.

Quote Originally Posted by bren guzzi View Post
    I was in court once after a guy fell from a tower. AFTER 6 weeks in court the company had to pay thousands. SORRY I HAD TO LAUGH when the coroner gave the cause of death as " SUDDEN DE EXCELERATION TRAUMA". Ya couldn't make it up.
    Yeah, too bad they couldn't just say,,,,, "The cause of death was the guys head hitting the dirt at 117 MPH".

Over here a customer must have a double throw switch on their main breaker so there is no back feed from a generator or if not a licensed electrician must wire the generator into the customer’s breaker to keep the liability off of the utilities back.

Default same here

Quote Originally Posted by Highplains Drifter View Post
    Over here a customer must have a double throw switch on their main breaker so there is no back feed from a generator or if not a licensed electrician must wire the generator into the customer’s breaker to keep the liability off of the utilities back.
    Its the same here re the main breaker/ ( trip switch). Basicaly all we do is replace the feed from a tranny to a property or properties with a generator.of suitable size. We have single phase and three phase generators. We remove the fuse (cut out) from the transformer supplying an area. And connect up a generator to temorarily supply the customer ( maybe a week ) . We take the fuse away with us and tag the pole with a caution notice .

Default addaption for gennie

Featured Sponsorr

These are the specially adapted fuse carriers that the gennies plug into.
    Attached Images Attached Images