Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Making connections @ the dip pole.

Featured Sponsor

How do some of you journeyman make your connections on a secondary dip pole from let say the company's wire size is 350 mcm,customer's is 4/0.Do you use shoot on's or high press and how do you train and make up your connections?Seen it done several way's.

we use crimpits, and use mastic patches and tape.

2-bolt clamps with puddy pads and tape...if its 19.9 construction I might add a peice of # 2 alumin connection the neutral to the bond.

Ummmmmmmm a 350 crimpiit? never seed one......... Must be a bear to smush.

Default How do you train the conductors?

I was taught to make a drip loop with the conductors coming off pole to loop down then up, then in a straight line and make connections with aluminum H connectors using a high press to crimp together, along with plastic covers that snap over the connectors. Now when using 350 mcm conductors, it requires us to use a shoot on tool and you have to use shell cartridges to make the connection.

I'm curious how others train their conductors, as our specs have changed to where both wires coming off the pole loop upward then down so both are pointing straight down and parallel to each other. This is so water can not back up and follow insulation all the way to the meter. I guess it makes since because of water issues with meter pedestals/boxes. I also notice a lot of REC's, on X123 bushings, are putting/curling their wire through the top side of these-makes since. I'm just curious how others do this. You never stop learning in this business, and even the little things are always changing-more often for the best.

Default Puddy pads?

Reppy, instead of puddy pads we called it aquaseal. Haven't used it for many years except on underground cable that was nicked. We don't use cause if you have to take it apart you might as well cut it off as it's difficult to get off. We do have bolted connectors that have plastic covers that snap over them for ease in taking apart but we don't use them unless it's a customer that needs to be cut off at the pole on a regular basis (for non-payment issues).

Quote Originally Posted by Pootnaigle View Post
    Ummmmmmmm a 350 crimpiit? never seed one......... Must be a bear to smush.
    we got em up to 500 mcm, 12 ton hydraulic or battery.

we also curl our jumpers out of the top of the bushings to keep water out.
    Quote Originally Posted by birdog37 View Post
    I was taught to make a drip loop with the conductors coming off pole to loop down then up, then in a straight line and make connections with aluminum H connectors using a high press to crimp together, along with plastic covers that snap over the connectors. Now when using 350 mcm conductors, it requires us to use a shoot on tool and you have to use shell cartridges to make the connection.

I'm curious how others train their conductors, as our specs have changed to where both wires coming off the pole loop upward then down so both are pointing straight down and parallel to each other. This is so water can not back up and follow insulation all the way to the meter. I guess it makes since because of water issues with meter pedestals/boxes. I also notice a lot of REC's, on X123 bushings, are putting/curling their wire through the top side of these-makes since. I'm just curious how others do this. You never stop learning in this business, and even the little things are always changing-more often for the best.

I guess the largest crimps Ive seen is a 4/0,even those arent used too much,hey if it works for you it works for me....now ive seen plenty of those plastic whatch call it covers.never cared for them,but Ill say again whatever works for you works for me.

Default Connectors

Featured Sponsorr

Once ya get to the 350 mcm range that's when ya use the shoot on tool.this company does not have a high press that goes that big for a connector Most common wire we install is 1/0 for urd and also 1/0 secondary for overhead runs,service overhead thou is # 2 triplex.We use
    H connectors for all these applications.You can use the bolted connection as an option but it only goes to 1/0.great for disconnects reconnects.