Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Featured Sponsor

Seems CLP union workers have been working without an agreement since 2011. The membership has voted to authorize a strike, when the members give that authority, the local can strike at any time. If in fact this is the case, CLP would most likely recruit scabs because a strike can come at any time. Seems the issue is staffing levels and CLPs ability to respond to storms and the aftermath. CLP got beat up pretty good after the last big storm a year ago.

To the brothers at CLP, good luck in your struggle and stick together!!!

I worked on CLP property for 8 days after hurricane Gloria, had an awful lot of trees in the Willimantic, Coventry and Storrs area......

There was a fatality during Gloria while we were ther, I don't remember the details.....

Stay safe!!!!!!
    "It is not the critic who counts:The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena" Teddy Roosevelt

The contract for IBEW locals 420 & 457 with cl&p expired June 1 2012, This contract covered the linemen, electricians, cable splicers and other physical workers,the first and only vote to date was on Oct. 4 with a 97% rejection. The locals are back at the table trying to get the co. to bargain in good faith, tough dealing with a bunch of arrogant ignorant overpaid paper shufflers that don't have a clue how to turn on the lights. As far as looking for strike breakers that was probably set up before the word about Sandy coming to town.

I bet those lineman are being treated pretty well now...how long will this last?

Default Non-Union Ala. crews turned away from Sandy recovery in NJ

Non-Union Ala. crews turned away from Sandy recovery

http://www.waff.com/story/19981857/s...sandy-recovery

Just thought i'd throw that out there.

Been a long time, hope all is well with everyone. Stay safe!

thoughts?
    -Mike

In a situation like this, even though the Unions are all employed working the storm, why not take all the help you can get? That's pretty stubborn, and what about the people that need the help? We are Americans first let's help our families in need. Politics need to be benched and work needs to get done.

I was a union steward so I do see that side, but I'd have to make an exception here.

Just when I thought Ive seen it all..it doesnt make any sense.IMO

Beats all doesn't it? There was another company a while back looking for lineman for the northeast. The info I got was a strike was about to happen. With all that in mind its not surprising non-union crews were sent home. The reverse happened to some friends of mine, union crews went to an ice storm in Texas some years ago , and were sent back home right away.

Tit 4 tatt...huh?

Default * UPDATE * Non-Union Ala. crews turned away from Sandy recovery

Quote Originally Posted by mscheuerer View Post
    Non-Union Ala. crews turned away from Sandy recovery

http://www.waff.com/story/19981857/s...sandy-recovery

Just thought i'd throw that out there.

Been a long time, hope all is well with everyone. Stay safe!

thoughts?

* UPDATE *

I'm now being told that this is dis-info stemming out of news broadcasts in Alabama. New Jersey Radio 101.5 has reported on this incident and representatives from both JCP&L and PSE&G have denied vehemently turning away ANY contractor, UNION or NON to help out with the restoration in New Jersey and the surrounding areas.

Also, Please see: Ala. utilities: Our crews not turned away from N.J. http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-...away-from-n.j/

Thanks to ALL and be SAFE.
    -Mike

Featured Sponsorr

Isn't there some rules for a state of emergency? strikes are put off till the system is restored and the state of emergency is lifted?
    On regular storm work a strike is upheld, but this is different.
    Last edited by T-Man; 11-02-2012 at 05:34 PM.