Thread: Sandy fatality

Default Sandy fatality

Featured Sponsor

You are right lewy,its sad.

3. Default Sandy fatality in Sarnia, Ontario

Quote Originally Posted by reppy007 View Post
    You are right lewy,its sad.
    I was talking with my sources about what happened and everything is under wraps as the investigation proceeds.
    The MOL has gotten involved. Unfortunately they usually have little to contribute except to nail the supervisor and upper management with, 'faliure do do this or that' based on general clauses of the OHSA which will leave all of us speculating until the truth comes out.
    Sadly this won't help our brother tradesman.
    Every situation has been covered by a rule so unless it was an unforeseen possibility some ones ass is in a sling for allowing it to happen.
    Time is provided for everyone to follow every rule. To not follow every rule is to take a risk for which nobody will support you. Please follow the rules, it's usually you that pays the ultimate price if you don't.
    My prayers are with this lineman's family who are now left to fend for themselves.
    The Old Lineman

I have heard through a friend that he managed somehow to bridge a broken neutral with his body. I have also been told the gut was very very safety conscious, so I believe there is a lot more to it. I won't mention his name , yet. I'll let that all come out with the official report. Just a word of warning those neutrals are very dangerous, treat them with a lot of respect

Condolences to family and friends.

Neutrals carry unbalanced load and in these conditions they are the most dangerous. Always handle as if they are hot. Work safe.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by T-Man View Post
    Condolences to family and friends.

Neutrals carry unbalanced load and in these conditions they are the most dangerous situation because our guard is usually down. Always handle as if they are hot. Work safe.
    Every difference in potential has the potential to kill. An inbalance across a broken neutral is likely more lethal than a phase conductor.
    Only because too many linemen see a neutral as not being charged because in many cases it's attached directly to the poles.
    One end attached to a pole or structure and the other end floating separate is an accident waiting to happen.
    Time and time again a seasoned lineman will feel that leather gloves will protect them.
    No, no, no. Use a jumper applied with a live line tool to complete the connection between the two ends before attempting to permenantly connect the two as a final placement.
    These type of accidents hurt our workers, our co-workers and their families far too frequently.
    The old Lineman

I totally agree. Neutrals can be very dangerous and must be treated with the utmost respect. Jumpering a broken neutral with a live line tool is absolutely the best way. I have this info second hand , the official report will not be out for quite awhile.

8. Default newts

Featured Sponsorr

I went out to a substation that had the 4/0 primary newts cut as far up as they could get on all the distribution terminal poles. I was still a appe and thought about using a jumper and a shotgun. luckily I had a good foreman and he made it clear that was exactly what he had planned. After seeing the the potential at the open when I put the jumper togther I take newts just as serious as any other current carrying conductor!