Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Can someone give me a reason?

http://sayanythingblog.com/entry/non...ay+Anything%29

I do not want to turn this into a union/non union debate, i am just curious if there would be an actual reason for doing this or is it just plain old arrogance? It blows my mind that this would happen.

During the 1998 ice storm we went in to Hydro Ones territory to help & 1 of the guys asked why we were helping because we were not part of the Power Workers union, we are IBEW. Needles to say we stayed & helped. So yes I can believe it.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by kooman View Post
    http://sayanythingblog.com/entry/non...ay+Anything%29

I do not want to turn this into a union/non union debate, i am just curious if there would be an actual reason for doing this or is it just plain old arrogance? It blows my mind that this would happen.
    In alot of places, being union is more important than anything else.
    Even in a disaster.
    Non union help is not appreciated or wanted in union areas.

I've always wondered how the People of union states feel about a mentality like that.

I can try to give you a reason...its simple to me.....Idiots....To me it wouldnt make a difference ,if my lights were off,its now going on what, 6 days....I wouldnt care if Captain Kangaroo got my lights back on...but thats just me.

I do think we're talking the same issue that's on the Union issues thread they should be combined so we don't do what the media and politicians do, confuse the issue with smoke and mirrors.

Ummmm I bleve like sumbody else dun sed all the major utililies have a clause that says in the event of catostropic storm that any and sll all work stoppages will cease until power is restored

This was not a union or nonunion issue and it was found later that these were not the facts. So do not believe everything you read once again.
    Ed Mings
    International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers
    International Representative
    Construction and Maintenance Department

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Old Line Dog View Post
    In alot of places, being union is more important than anything else.
    Even in a disaster.
    Non union help is not appreciated or wanted in union areas.

I've always wondered how the People of union states feel about a mentality like that.
    Listen Swamp, this farce was perpetrated by Sean Hannity and is complete BS!!!! I've been running non union crews from South Carolina since last Wednesday and you know I've been union 40 years. The crews are **** good and I'd be proud if they'd join the IBEW.

I'd like to meet mr Hannity, I'd stuff my foot in hi a$$ for lying like the dog he is. We're happy to have the privelidge to work with these guys and happy to report they show some interest in the IBEW
    "It is not the critic who counts:The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena" Teddy Roosevelt

9. Default

while sandy has been named the perfect storm, the other storm that ensued was less than perfect. Having such a major event hit such a populated and politcal area a week before election was terrible for all of us lineman and lineworkers in the area. Politicians and media alike used it as a platform to turn republicans against democrats and union vs non union. The reports of non union being turned from the borders is false.....unless the pike electric trucks ive seen in new york were borrowed or leased by union contractors.......i doubt it! The media telling people on tuesday to expect to be out of power through the work week should be fired.....nearly 9,000,000 without power, come on now. As for the politicans comment about the restoration telling every body that they should be enraged by this...... it worked by friday people were. Maybe the next time that a major storm hits they and their extra advisors, office staff, drivers, secrataries and whomever else they can do without should sign the book three groundman, lace up their work boots if they have any, get a hard hat and some gloves, and get in the game...... I would welcome them with open arms. You want to use a catastrophe to get votes......that would get mine. After a couple weeks of 16-18 hour days, not seeing your family, some powdered eggs, ham sandwiches, a cot in tent city, and a new found respect for what it takes to rebuild thousands of miles of power lines, Ill bet your next post storm speach sounds a little different. For those who live in storm prown areas, this isnt a political or union thing. Its a patience and preparation thing. Learn to take care of your needs, help your friend and neihbors get what they need. As you pass by line crews a smile and a wave and a little brake pedal will go a long ways.... for most of us we would give you the shirt off our back to help you get by.....we do get payed for what we do but we also do it for the pride of helping get storm torn areas back on their feet.

Well said 55...I heard today that many scumbags create so called donation/charity sites on the internet even before these storms hit...so when people try to help with money ,its actually going to these $HITBAGS.....I hope they put them behind bars for a few years...let them think about it for a few years.