Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Featured Sponsor

Mr.bobo,or whatever you call yourself...sometimes its better to go with the flow instead of fighting a losing battle....be honest,and tell us...do you really think they are going to do away with the squeeze,sometimes we have no choice but adapt,we may not like it...but what do you do when theres no other choice,besides dragging up.Nobody is rushing anyone,most of us get paid by the hour anyway....if your smart you can use it to your advantage,I would.

Well well well Mr.Bobbo, aren't you just the greatest lineman since the first pole went in. Just because you don't have anything good to say about fall protection, and trashing all your brother lineman in the process doesn't make you the kind of guy I would ever want to work with, and I hope I will never have to. Of course you wouldn't be the first guy I refused to work with, your attitude just plain sucks. Here in Canada fall protection has been in place for 20 years. Yeah we cursed it for a while, we tried a few different rigs , but the bottom line is you can't beat it. You have about as much importance to the company as your finger stuck in a pail of water, remove it and see how much of a dent you left. We lineman have to adapt to many given circumstances, be it the job at hand , or the weather , whatever. This is one more challenge that you will eventually overcome, we did up here in the Great White North. Surely you with your superiority complex will too!

Quote Originally Posted by bobbo View Post
    If you ever visited a friend in a burn unit because he didnt bail off a pole and cant walk because he o.ly jas 40 per cent of his muscle tissue you corporate rule loving isiots would have a change of mind. And for the bucket guy, you must live in linemans dream of bucket accessable poles. And for the idiot english lineman processor most lineman misspell, actually the better ones cant read or write. For all those that have to climb everyday for our pay, we dont use that piece of ****. And I never seen a guy named OSHA climb a pole. "Built by Lineman for Lineman" what a joke. Some of the responses sound like you men are dressmaker or hair dressers. Are tpu serious. Tbat iece of shot contraption is garbage and everyone knows it. And if ypu dont know it, ypu cant be a lineman of any value or worth. As far as my spellig I jave worked 16 hours a day and these little keys on my phone suck.
    Sir bobbo,Im in a great mood...matter of fact I have a couple of extra plane tickets to Denver,Co.....after a few hours of flying and going through time changes you sometimes get jet lag....if nothing else its a good excuse,it worked for me.......but I have to ask,what does working 16 hrs a day,and having small keys on your phone have to do with the squeeze?....I hate to brag,but my excuse is a little better....kidding.

Default Safety strap

I will tell you that there maybe some modifications for this gear but after using it now(like anything else in life) I would not climb without it.@ my age a fall could be career ending.I personally want to thank the people (probably a former lineman) for incorporating this climbing gear into this industry.I have read numerous times wear the Buck squeeze has saved someone from a fall.Ya the good old days I use to climb poles without a belt only to take a wire sling off the pole.I would free climb up wrap my one leg around the pole and take it off.The sling would get hung up.Then one day i unhooked the sling it sprung around the pole and on the end of the sling was the metal clevis.It hit me right in the mouth almost knocked my teeth out and me off the pole.No hotdogging any more.Ya it sure is nice throwing that belt over your shoulder head down the pole 8 steps I've landed.Until you hit that crack in the pole ya did not see and you cut out and land on whatever you decided not to get out of your way before you climbed.You have to think safety in this job at all times because if you don't you may wind up being a Walmart greeter sooner than you anticipated.
    Last edited by birdog37; 11-18-2012 at 09:49 AM.

5. Default

I've been using the bucksqueeze for a few months now, it's a pain to climb around pole steps and communication with it, it's hard to move around the pole without your hands, it's a pain to do any work directly in front of you like molding, I've cut out a few times already and I don't think the buck squeeze saved me but I think it caused me to cut out. Before te bucksqueeze I never cut out, but it's what the company tells me to climb with, one day it may save my life or someone I work with. To be honest I'm a little embarrassed at time using it because it makes me look like an idiot, but like I always say for $100 an hour (obviously double time) I'd do just about anything, even underground, 200k dollars a year isn't to bad and doesn't give me much to complain about, at the end of the day I'm still a lineman and wouldn't have it any other way.

Default Pretty well sums it up

Any time any new safety product comes to use you will be able to find someone that has an incident with it. It would have been interesting to have had the internet when we went to double locking snaps on our buckstraps. Guys *****ed about them too.
    Note to self, just because it pops into my head doesn't mean it should come out of my mouth.

7. Default Options

Has anyone heard of the Pole Choker by Jelco.
    I know it's manufactured in Quebec and that would turn many off but it was researched to the hilt and $100,000's of dollars poured into it.
    I believe the companies forcing the Bucksqueeze down your throats haven't do their homework.
    Give it a look. it's far better than the Buck--- so i'm told.
    Find out for yourselves.
    The Old lineman

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by old lineman View Post
    I know it's manufactured in Quebec and that would turn many off but it was researched to the hilt and $100,000's of dollars poured into it.
    I believe the companies forcing the Bucksqueeze down your throats haven't do their homework.
    Find out for yourselves.
    The Old lineman
    we looked at them but they wer'nt goog enough for us.probably be all right for most though.sorry bout the typing just woke up after 16 hour nap.utility slugs gets lots o sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by old lineman View Post
    Find out for yourselves.
    The Old lineman
    They seem to use them a lot in Canada. We have a Bucksqueeze, Jelco, and another manf. They all have advantages and disadvantages.
    Note to self, just because it pops into my head doesn't mean it should come out of my mouth.

Featured Sponsorr

Duckhunter is right, the Jelco pole choker IV is what I have and most of the fellas I know have it too. Its pretty much the belt of choice at Hydro One. It takes a little bit of getting used to, but it isn't a monster to work with either. We haven't benn able to free climb here since 1990. We tried a couple of ideas, one was called a posi-belt, basically an old pole strap with a wheel attachment for the back of the pole and a cross strap for between you and the pole. It was relatively simple, but there were problems too. The Jelco is the preferred belt here now. I havEn't seen a Bucksqueeze except in pictures on here