Thread: Where to now?

Default Where to now?

Featured Sponsor

Hi, I've been lurking on these forums for months but this is my first post.

I'm currently in lineschool (NATLC, McEwen Tn), and getting ready to graduate. I haven't gotten my CDL yet as my school schedule won't allow for it (getting it in Ky, my homestate, and the only tests near me are done during school), but I have been studying hard and am confident that I can pass it at any time. I recently joined IBEW local 429 (Nashville) as a groundman, and I need work soon. I graduate in a matter of weeks, and I really want to get into an apprenticeship. There is linework currently on the job boards in two towns very close to my town, should I call them and ask if they need a groundman, or even an apprentice? Should I put in my app to SELCAT and hope they'll get me in quickly? Also I've heard that SELCAT won't accept applications from people who live outside their jurisdiction, I live in Ky, but only a few minutes drive from their jurisdiction in TN. Is there even still work for groundmen in the southern states? I've heard different things from people who all seemed very knowledgeable.

I guess my ultimate question is, what is the next step? Seek groundman work, apply to SELCAT, call a working crew and ask if they have room for an apprentice, or can I go to the union hall and take an apprenticeship test?

I guess I've spent so much time studying, climbing, and stringing conductor, that I haven't taken the time to really learn how to get on a crew!

UMmmm I bleve you need to apply in the local you already joined for an apprenticeship

Featured Sponsorr

Roger that, then. I'll talk to the lineman examining board when I go to the December meeting about applying. Thanks a lot.