Threaded View

Jltbull Guest

Default Telecomm a better job then Electricity?

This is a long post but i need your help. Thank you in advance.

Hi everyone, big fan, and trade hopeful.

Let me explain...im 22 years old, from the Boston,MA area and ive ran a Jet-Vac machine for 5 years now. About 3 years ago my company started doing an account for an big electric company digging holes in congested areas of Boston (I can dig a perfect hole rather then a trench and I can safely expose utilities) to install traffic signal poles. In this time I have met and befriended many linemen from the local 104 union(Unfortunatly contractor linemen travel and I have a new home and a young family). As though it was willed by god, National Grid just happened to open a new school program that promises a opportunity at a local, stable Line job if I'm able to do well in the program.

The program can be found at http://www.middlesex.mass.edu/eut_web/

Im already signed up and I was able to get one of the few seats available..so far so good. I would Appreciate if you could take a look and comment

Last but not least many websites and people have informed me that Verizon pays better and has better beneifits to work with Telephone lines, then NStar/National Grid does to work with Powerlines. Now common sense would dictate you paying someone more to climb/bucket higher and work with high voltage then to work with phone lines?

At the seminar they told me lineworkers for NG were making 35-38/hr after benefits at the journeyman lvl. Does anyone know the statistics for the Verizon/Telecomm guys? and can anyone comment on this please?

Also at the seminar they did'nt touch base on exact retirement benefits but I also heard theres no longer a pension for NG workers?Do you still get one through the IBEW I hope?
    Last edited by Jltbull; 08-07-2007 at 06:18 PM.