Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Featured Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by LinemanMark View Post
    Other than the bonus issue, how is the company to work for? I've been thinking of relocating from so cal to nor cal and PGE is who I'm pursuing... The bonus would be nice, but not necessarily doing it for the money. Any info would be appreciated.
    I would say that if you're with SCE DONT do it. Ive worked down there.

The spec here is ridiculous. The overhead spec book alone is 5 inches thick. Every yard is different. I have a friend that went to another yard and from what he says its 180 from my yard. If you go to Oakland, Richmond, San Francisco theres enough work to last another lifetime. Politics, rules, regulations and contract will make your head spin. If youre from a utility you will understand all this. I came from contractors.
    Then theres GC vs. Division.

GC is like contractors, you actually have a set crew make up go out and work and build power lines, youre the red headed step children, your yard is on a gravel lot and bullroom is in a trailer, porta potty, you may be forced to travel away from home for months, you dont get the every day trouble work.

Division is mostly maintenance which is never ending in the bay area. Everything is either deteriorated, burnt and temp. fixed, falling down or going to soon. Your bullroom is in nice buildings with showers and restrooms, computers etc. Overtime is there if you want it along with trouble work. Theres never a rush to do anything or get a job done. Work ethic, whats that??? Crew make ups are usually no more than a 3 man crew. 2 man rubber glove, 3 man, and ocassional 4 man if your lucky. Car pole, 3 man crew one of those might be an equipment operator. Its a cost saving thing. Do the same amount of work with less men. Management will do whatever they can to save money.

There is tons of contract work here in 1245.

The grass aint greener. Dont believe me come get your 20g's (take home 10) and find out.

Quote Originally Posted by bones View Post
    You're not the only one. I've been kicking around the idea myself. I just reviewed the contract and it amazing how extensive and well put together it is Ours is about one sentence declaring straight time wage. I just know I want to be on the coast. Nothing wrong with being a lineman. I'm tired of the corn fields, humid summers, frigid winters, and just rural living in general. Deadlines to meet, papers to fill out, calls to make, just being the punching bag between management, the men, the engineers, the public, just time to move out to the west coast. Might be more of the same but at least I can throw a stick on the beach at the end of the day

Know almost nothing about the state but was told San Francisco or San Diego.

Just rambling but I'm getting close to loading that Chevy down.
    SoCal is the beaches you want. Huntington, Newport, Redondo, Manhattan, Venice, Laguna/Dana Point, and south of there are the beaches to go to. Forget about the Northern California beaches. SCE's south bay yard is a huge money maker and right there. Lots of contract work there too out of 47.

3. Default

I'm not with SCE but another large municipality in LA. PGE division sounds pretty much the same as here... Looking for more of a change for the family, I'm tired of the city and LA in general traffic, people,

4. Default

Yeah that sucks 1245hand. It seems about half and half of all the new hires I work around got there money or didn't. Problem is as you well know, if they don't pay a lot of these guys wont stay. hopefully it all works out.

5. Default

Featured Sponsorr

****.. I was just talking to one of the guys in the lineman class about PGE.. Hope all works out!