Page 22 of 44 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22 23 24 32 ... LastLast
  1. Default

Featured Sponsor

I am union I work for a division of Ameren Illinois. I don't mind my Crew leader/foreman runnin a line cause it keeps him on the ground. I'd rather be lookin down than lookin up anyway.
    Last edited by BULLogna; 03-11-2008 at 09:56 PM.

2. Default static clips

Any body got any good tricks for clipin that static when you ain't gotta gin and your pole is way taller than the one on both sides. Sometimes i'll run a line over the top of the pole around the wire and back to the bolt. I have also tried a can't hook as a pry-bar, and a double grip set of blocks to suck a bubble. Is there any way better to teach a cub who is kinda small?
    keep lookin down.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Swamprat View Post
    No offese, but,...
    if your Union Forman/Crew leader, is "gruntin" for YOU...well, I won't go there......
    where is there to go? we are a two man construction crew. sometimes we'll have another crew help us out on complex jobs like Y blocking hot 12 but usually just two till somebody needs trainin then maybe a cub will make three. If your tryin to get a union vs rat thing gowin well I'm sure both sides have quality wood walkin rascals as well as hand in pockets slackers. I like ibew. but I don't think Slim or Red were ibew back in the day.

4. Default static clips

Quote Originally Posted by BULLogna View Post
    Any body got any good tricks for clipin that static when you ain't gotta gin and your pole is way taller than the one on both sides. Sometimes i'll run a line over the top of the pole around the wire and back to the bolt. I have also tried a can't hook as a pry-bar, and a double grip set of blocks to suck a bubble. Is there any way better to teach a cub who is kinda small?
    keep lookin down.
    back to the topic

Default Clipin static.

keep lookin down.
    Off the pole, use 2 hoists and two grips to suck your bubble. Rig as high as you can, take a eyenut with you and rig off the backside of your split bolt, or static bolt, if you don't split bolt your pole.

I would also suggest a second man, or a three man crew at least.

If you are going to clip transmission, or static from the wood, Take everything you might need with you to accomplish your work.

Default You don't

mention what size static wire or type of structure. One way without a gin is to put the back of your safety over the bolt on the back side away from you and letting the wire rest on your safety between you and the pole. With this method you can usually walk it up the pole and let your legs do the lifting. If on an H fixture of course just put your safety over the static bar.

7. Default pickin up load

Have you ever tried to heat up a service that had a lot of load and everytime you tried to stick your tail in the one bolt it welded to the end. Unless your really fast and can get in between the cycles try puttin a couple wraps of tape on your secodary, Then slide the one bolt over the tape stick your triplex tail, then slide the one-bolt with tail back on to hot clean secondary.
    Last edited by BULLogna; 03-24-2008 at 07:57 PM.

Default bolt sliding out

a little trick don't know if some one said it yet but if you have to put a street light up or crossarm on the nut side put tape around the bolt where its in the wood and then slide the arm or light on and the bolt stays in the pole and doesn't pull out save a little time so you don't have to hold the bolt against the pole

Wink Bullogna, about the static......

I always hung my handline at the taller pole and had the grunts pull it up just under the bolt.

Then I would drive a screwdriver to hold it there.

I would take a short peice of gut and slip it on the static, then walk up a bit till I could squat a little and put my shoulder under the gut.

Stand up and stab that bad boy!

The gut makes it a lot more comfy on your shoulder, and you can lift a lot of weight with your legs.

I have also seen guys use a rig with a heavy beaner attached to a short rope becky and a 12" bolt on the other.

They would take and hook the 'beaner on the backside of the bolt, take it over the top of the pole, and twist it around the shield wire thus using leverage to "roll" it up to the attachment.

Featured Sponsorr

Have you ever tried to heat up a service that had a lot of load and everytime you tried to stick your tail in the one bolt it welded to the end. Unless your really fast and can get in between the cycles try puttin a couple wraps of tape on your secodary, Then slide the one bolt over the tape stick your triplex tail, then slide the one-bolt with tail back on to hot clean secondary.
    Sounds like a bit of an a55 ache. Try smearing penatrox where your connection is sliding. Maybe it'll pick up the load without welding it together. Seems to be easier than wrapping and unwrapping, opening your connector to accomodate insulation, etc. Just thought of it. Let me know how it works. Sounds like a five dollar tip eh P.F.? Hello? Hello? You out there? Mucktuck.