Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: tail boards

Exclamation Are you serious?

Featured Sponsor

[QUOTE=wtdoor67;51418]

I have found no reason to believe that tailboards have increased safety.

QUOTE]
    I don't believe a Lineman would say this

Default tail boards

I personally think that with all the new hires that a pre job breifing is definetly a good idea. It gets everyone on the job on the same page. They pay you to do it, so do it and dont complain. There are alot of people out there looking jobs that would love to make the money that you are making and they wouldn't mind doing a pre job briefing. One thing for sure.........................IT DONT HURT ANYTHING BY DOING ONE............

[QUOTE=PA BEN;51420]
    Quote Originally Posted by wtdoor67 View Post

I have found no reason to believe that tailboards have increased safety.

QUOTE]
    I don't believe a Lineman would say this

Hell yes I'm serious as cancer. I think a formal written tailboard has been around at PSO for about 8 or 10 years. It's just another phoney pain in the ass I think.

From the amount of burns and fatalities I have seen posted on this forum I don't believe tail boards have done a damn bit of good. If some one can come up with some creditable stats I would become a believer.

Of course a person new to the job is going to get a briefing. Just common sense. Ah well those safety gurus just love a little more paper work. Makes them feel secure. The only way tail boards came about is because some ding a ling screwed up and said. "No body told me what was going on." Therefore the co. decided to cover their butt.

Southern Indiana is home. But I work all over.

In a way I kinda agree with ya Danny. Tailboards dont increase saftey. But the heightened sense of awareness that they encourage does. It covers all loose ends and removes all doubt that everyone is on the same page.

I think they are good but not really a tool to cover the companies ass but your own.

Default tail boards

Tailboards may have not increased safety, but they sure have not hurt anything.

6. Default

I think tail boards should be an important part of every job for a crew. while the actual job might be something you have done before, no job is identical. and if the job is a "repeat" all the more reason for a job discussion, because complacency might be the biggest killer in our field. a job briefings most important aspect is to make sure that you and your pole buddy are on the same page and got your head in the game.

Default formal written tailboard

Quote Originally Posted by wtdoor67 View Post

Hell yes I'm serious as cancer. I think a formal written tailboard has been around at PSO for about 8 or 10 years. It's just another phoney pain in the ass I think.

From the amount of burns and fatalities I have seen posted on this forum I don't believe tail boards have done a damn bit of good. If some one can come up with some creditable stats I would become a believer.

Of course a person new to the job is going to get a briefing. Just common sense. Ah well those safety gurus just love a little more paper work. Makes them feel secure. The only way tail boards came about is because some ding a ling screwed up and said. "No body told me what was going on." Therefore the co. decided to cover their butt.
    So let me get this right, When you say,"I have found no reason to believe that tailboards have increased safety" , you mean written? Or tailboard in general?
    Last edited by PA BEN; 12-09-2008 at 11:30 PM.

Default No tail board

[QUOTE=wtdoor67;51447]

QUOTE]

I would say that most of those job's didn't have a tailboard. ESCI has all the stats you need. It just makes sense that it's safer to have your crew on the same page before you start a job. Just a simple statement like test and ground that before you work it, can save the guy on the crew who might have come to work with his head up his ass.
    Last edited by PA BEN; 12-09-2008 at 11:41 PM.

Default My complaint is

about formal, written, signed by each crew member type of tailboards.

I don't think I've ever did any work that actually didn't have a discussion, however brief that told everyone what was happening. I just don't think it's necessary to have a written and signed piece of paper. To me it's just a thing that allows management to hold it up and say. He was told about it, and he still screwed up so therefore we have a reason to discipline him and perhaps fire him.

I just regard them as a management tool. They resemble safefty meetings in a lot of their tone.

Most of the ones I experienced, I regarded them as not 100% sincere.

I think a tailboard should be necessary for hot work, but not always.

Default tailboards

Featured Sponsorr

To PA BEN.

Can you prove that tailboards dont help prevent accidents.. NO

How many more accidents would we have if we didnt do them.

If they tell you to do it ..then do it shut up or find yourself a job at walmart.

Someone out there would love to make 30.00 an hour to fill out a tailboard.

Stop crying and accept change

Thanks Heavy duty