Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cool Mandatory Fall Arrest

Featured Sponsor

Whats the latest info on mandatory fall arrest for climbing poles ? I keep hearing it is on the way ? Does anyone have a update or link to go to read about this ? I understand it has been required in Canada for some time . Our Union rep told us these kind of rules normally start in Canada , are implemented by Companies in the eastern US and work their way westward in the US and finally are made mandatory by OSHA . Anyone with info out there ? Bear

2. Default Fall protection in Canada

In Ontario, Canada the Ministry of Labour saw that falls in construction accounted for about 1/3 of the lost time injuries. They mandated that everyone had to begin being protected from falling when working at heights.
    I believe this started to be a hot topic in the late 1980's.
    A company who made skates started with the 'Pole Shark'. Because of it's bulk and limitations others started looking at the need.
    A lineman from Ontario Hydro invented a system nicknamed the 'pizza cutter' because of two small wheels on the back side of the pole with the same angle as the gaff's. It was easy to cheat with this system and didn't work in all cases.
    Jelco from Montreal worked with Hydro Quebec and invent the 'Pole Coker'. This system went through three generations, then the criteria changed after the huge ice storm in Ontario and Quebec.
    The Ministry said it had to work on iced poles as well.
    Jelco went back to the drawing boards and developed gen 4 which has titanium grippers which penetrate ice.
    This model worked in all conditions and as a result passed our CSA standards.
    No matter what they invent it will be a big change from free climbing so older linemen don't like them as you can read on this site.
    However, the linemen don't get the last say so when the employer says we're going this route, it will happen.
    The alternative will be unemployment.
    After all the bitching is done linemen will have to use the system if OSHA say's they have to.
    To not use the system will be contrary to the law of the land. Someday.
    The Old Lineman

Default I Guess .........

Quote Originally Posted by old lineman View Post
    No matter what they invent it will be a big change from free climbing so older linemen don't like them as you can read on this site.
    However, the linemen don't get the last say so when the employer says we're going this route, it will happen.
    The alternative will be unemployment.
    After all the bitching is done linemen will have to use the system if OSHA say's they have to.
    To not use the system will be contrary to the law of the land. Someday.
    The Old Lineman
    I was wrong, spoken like a true Lineman........

Thanks for expertease, "Old Safetyman".

My apology's Bearman, I just can't help myself.

Im getting free climbed certified right now through JCP&L but after the training we are required to wear a buck squeeze all the time for the remainder of our careers! which dosent really make sence so send up the rookies with out a fall arrest and the vetrans use a fall arrest The only logic I can see is to see if we freak out free climbing, but if we never have to free climb then why see

I haven't been in the trade nearly as long as most of you on here. But from what I've seen lately with the newest guys, is that they are getting progressively worse at climbing and a lot more of them climb belted all the time. It seems like the guys who tend to free climb most often, are the ones that are better all around climbers. I've heard it said on here and out in the field, OSHA is turning this trade into a trade of pussies. I know it's safer, but it should be the lineman's choice, not some pencil-pusher in Washington. One of the things that kinda scared me was the other day at pole top rescue training: There was these two apprentices, they only climb belted, never bothered trying to free-climb. Long story short, it took them all of two minutes to climb a 50' pole. I prefer to free climb most of the time, it took me 30 seconds to get to the top. I don't have a problem with the next guy taking the extra time to climb with a belt and being safe. I do have a problem with the fact that he NEVER free climbs, therefore is horrible at it. What are these guys going to do when their brother is burning at the top of the pole and they have to free climb? Screw calling the ambulance, just have a hearse deliver a pine box to the bottom of the pole for me. Like I said before, safety is there so we go home every night the same way left in the morning. But it's getting to the point that their is so much of it, that now nobody bothers to get good at climbing period. They pretty much tell themselves: "Well I got this magic strap now, so I don't have to get good, because my magic strap will always be there to save me." You guys can pick that apart all you want, but that's just how I feel and my take on the whole thing.

7. Default free climbing

qoute
    """""Im getting free climbed certified right now through JCP&L but after the training we are required to wear a buck squeeze all the time for the remainder of our careers! which dosent really make sence so send up the rookies with out a fall arrest and the vetrans use a fall arrest The only logic I can see is to see if we freak out free climbing, but if we never have to free climb then why see """""

they are teaching you how to free climb for pole top rescue, think about it you have a guy hurt on the pole you are not going to climb with a fall arrest un belting at everything u have to climb over, the guy hurt would have no chance. they wanna teach you to free climb for that reason. so i dont think its comething to complain about, i think everyone should learn how to free climb just for the reason to do pole top rescue, a free climber will get to the top of a pole before a hitch hicker when they have to climb over stuff

chazz i agree with you, i didnt read your post before i wrote this one but your 100% right about free climbing
    Last edited by lineman1010; 06-04-2009 at 08:04 PM.

8. Default

i heard bashlin has a free climb fall restraint system i'm going to try and go to the bashlin rodeo in pennsylvania

Toglgle...

Lemme know what it's like here at dominion were using the bucksqueeze and I'm trying anything I can do to get outa it.. I'm an old fart and after hikein a 60 or 70 fter to tighten up an arm bolt or some shit .. when my shoulders are shot this device is much to hard on me vs free climbing... if theres an alternative I want to push it we will NOT go backto free climbing as far as I know 'cept for rescue

Edge

10. Default

Featured Sponsorr

ill let you know i hate this bucksqueeze my shoulder is shot from trying to pull slack out of the belt i ran the leather on an i beam for a half hour and put it in a vise all rolled up over night