Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
  1. Default Im stuck

Featured Sponsor

I am from Cleveland ohio i have had a interest for a long time in this field. i went to a "PSI Orientation" for First Energy and it seems like a vary nice program. but it seems to be geared more for an 18 year old guy living at home that can still go to school for the next 2 years and not worry about an income. im 30 years old and have a 2 year old to support and just cant give up the job i already have to go to school during the day. if it was night school i could swing it. i know im not the only one on here with this delama. i am already in the IBEW locle 673. the IBEW in the grater Cleveland do not have a overhead line program. Would it be worth my time to just get into first energy as a meter reader or just in any part of the company and work my way into a program that works with you a bit more on this?

Default get hooked up

frist go to a contractor they are good guys to learn from you can learn the book crap if you like but if you don't know what to do then not only you put yourself in trouble your pole buddy also i've been a lead lineman for 8yrs seen some that come out of school same class and was lost maken the money that i was that i would not let pull a cut out my 2nd class was better lineman than he was and the only reason i don't care for the union because if i see a guy with hands in there pocket i'll be talking crap if you are a good lineman you don't have to hide behind someone (i love line work the rest is bull *hit ) but don't get me wrong school helps but don't let it swell your head remember the 1st or lead lineman has been around union or not

I am just a wanna be, but I know of one thing you could do. Join the national guard. Sure you have a chance of being deployed but you make great money while your gone, but you would be able to use your GI Bill to pay you during your apprenticeship. They make up the difference between Journy Pay and Apprentice pay. Plus most of the lineman schools out there are federally accredited, which means you will get back most of the Tuition you paid in. On top of that most Employers see you as dedicated, responsible, and reliable, if your in the guard. It's a far fetched idea, but hey you never know who might do it.

Default My advice

The best results getting a job in a midwest utility has been to enroll in a techincal school that offers electric distribution worker training. There will be a wait for that I'm sure. . . This is not the only answer though, You need to have an absoultly clean drivers licence, you need to be drug free, believe it or not a good credit report counts, no criminal record, even driving tickets make a difference, You will in most cases need to pass a physical test, it's easy to get busted up doing this work ( shoulders, Knees, backs, you name it) You need to be ready and willing for work each day, and don't ask for permission to come in late because it snowed last night and you have to shovel out your drive before you get in. . . .
    Right now go-getters with all their ducks in a row are going to be a premium and snapped up. . .yea companys are cutting back but their pool of peolple will be smaller and smarter, hard working dudes and dudettes. They will have to replace some of the old dogs leaving in the next 5 years and this has got to make a demand for Lineworkers that stuff just don't jump up there on those poles. Then once you get in listen to your crew leader, go to Union meetings and be ready when they call you to get r done. because getting in is only the tip of that iceburg. . .
    Good Luck

Default A whole lot of B.S.

I have sat here for almost an hour reading all these posts. I feel sorry for these new guys that want to come in. Specially with some of you lineman that have posted here. Selfish, self centered, narrow minded and ignorant. We have that idiot from Jersey thinks he's all that. Contractors are this, contractors are that. We are all lineman in one respect or the other. Some of us have been fortunate and have had cushie jobs. Some of us had to work real hard to get where we are. I used to take my son out sometimes on outages in the Great N.W. He used to sit there and watch us work. I would ask him " Is this what you would like to do ?" He said, " I don't think so, your so wet." But to each his own.Education is a big part of line work. Some of you Lineman & Apprentices don't even know how to read or write. Granted I heard some good input some some of the sensible Lineman. But it seems that some of you get on here just to toot your own horn. "cause nobody else wants to listen to your B.S. in person. Get an Education kids. Go to a tech school or something JATC. You do need some book work. That's why our industry is going down the tubes, uneducated lineman that can't represent us or know how 'coz some can't even read a contract.I have had a lot of Lineman work for me from around the country not two Lineman are the same. I have had similar amount of Apprentices. same thing Get an Education,what ever it takes'It sucks when your standing there in a safety meeting and they ask you tio read an artickle and you can't even read that well. By the way my son is not a Lineman. If you can't be a Lineman be a Heavy Equipment Opertor. Good money too.
    Last edited by ezlife41; 04-20-2009 at 04:12 PM. Reason: misspell

Default linework

outside vs. utility ...

i am a first step apprentice and it took me 3 years to get to this point. i thought i wanted to do nothing but utility work, but then i started hearing that if you go transmission, your transmission and thats it, same thing with distribution. dont get me wrong if i would have gotten a utility job before i got on on the outside i would have taken it. but now that i am on the outside i wouldnt trade it for anything, i want to well versed in every area of the trade, not a lineman specialized in distribution or transmission. i am by no means talking down on any utility lineman, there job is just as dangerous and demanding as the next guy, but i want to be able to go to a utility in 6, 7, or even 8 years and say you know i know how to do distribution and transmission and i can virtually pick what i want to go into.

so back to how to get into the industry. i applied and waited. bottom line, applied nearly 3 years ago at my JATC, interviewed nearly 16 months ago, and now im a first step.

Good luck to all, dont get discouraged, if this is your dream and passion it will happen, just know that it isnt going to happen overnight, maybe several years.
    "That's What's The Matter"

7. Default

TheFNG, are you in the Riverside JATC? What area did they send you to work at?
    Peace n blessing!!

8. Thumbs up What Up Fng

Check Ur Pm Bro.

im a senior in high school but im goin to a school in southern ky next november. 8 week seesion to get my apprentiship. hopefully it kicks off after that

10. Default

Featured Sponsorr

IBEW the right choice.