Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Featured Sponsor

Ever notice there's some guys that are never in a bind? They just work that way!!!

if it was any of your business you would know

Default well.....

deadend a second story service to a house knob one night.... did not notice the triplex went through the extention ladder.

It was dark out...my story and I'm stickin to it.

Knock on wood...and other that 10 years working for the "safest gas and electric" company in the US I have been around good guys who knew what to look for... and would say something if they saw it.

Default Ok, here we go........

Last edited by johnbellamy; 02-04-2012 at 11:45 PM.

Unhappy in a bind

This was quite awhile ago but remember it like it was yesterday. We had just finished re-conductoring a three phase line and were transferring load. We went to a pole with a 2 pot bank on it and the foreman wanted to replace the pole ground, o.k. no problem. I don't really remember putting up the new ground but I got in the bind when i removed the case ground on one of the transformers. I undid the first one with no problem and just above it was the second one right? Wrong! I loosened the bug and used my kleins to pull it away, thank goodness) as opposed to my hand. When I did I drew an arc so I put it back against the ground and made contact. I assumed it was the case ground but in fact was It was from the h2 bushing of the pot. The first xfmr was a single bushing pot and the second a dual voltage pot. I had to hold the tap there making contact while I put on my primary gloves, then skin the wire and install a mac so I could make the connection. There was a jl in the second bucket of our double bucket truck so he was able to get the mac to me. Needless to say I was very lucky and know better now. It is also a good story for the apes to learn off of. The service fed a small glass house and someone had come out to see why the lights blinked! We told him everything was fine!
    "Who Me ?"

Default Binds

Haven't been in any recently but I know some who have. At -20, permafrost, global warming and flex tracks still battle!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Default Not exactly line work but trouble none the less

I had one call about 35 years ago, where I had to troubleshoot a problem at an old clothing sweatshop factory. A big block building in town. They had a few floors of seamstresses on the 2nd and 3rd floors and I needed to get to the metering in the basement. The power came in off the street but I had a strong feeling I would find the problem in their pannel in the basement. So I got my tester bag and flashlight and headed down in to the dungeon of a basement which was dark as pitch. I took it slow the stairs going down were less than even, some concrete was missing and hard to negotiate and when I got to the basement there were huge steel fire doors separating different sections, it became real easy to get disoriented and I wasn't sure after awhile which way faced the street knownig the pannels would be on that side of the building. So I searched around a bit opening these steel fire doors and using my flashlight to check the contents. It was spooky to say the least. All at once I opened one door and the room was filled with maniquins all standing there like a heard of zombies. . . .staring at me. . . .It took me a few minutes to go back down there and work out the problem. . .the funny part is I remember like it was yesterday, those maniquins but I can't tell you what I fixed there. . . .

Quote Originally Posted by T-Man View Post
    It was spooky to say the least. All at once I opened one door and the room was filled with maniquins all standing there like a heard of zombies. . . .staring at me. . . .
    Had a similar experience while working in an old theatre building in Glasgow called The Orient. It had been converted to a Bingo hall and the stage built out towards the auditorium. I was trying to locate a cable and had to take off a grill and shimmy in under the front part of the stage, pushing myself along with my feet through the various gaps in the support walls. I slid head on into an obstruction, so I squeezed my arm in with my torch and pointed it at... A gargoyle! What a fright. You know that thing where you look in a mirror and hold a torch under your face so it shines across the front? Well it was that with an actual gargoyle right in front of my face! I let out such a yelp that the guys thought I'd had an electric shock.
    Portable defibrillators were first invented to save the lives of linemen. Where's yours?

www.bigclive.com

Featured Sponsorr

Quote Originally Posted by T-Man View Post
    I opened one door and the room was filled with maniquins all standing there like a heard of zombies. . . .staring at me. . . . .
    that dosen't scare me, I see that every time I go into the front office.