Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Barehand question

Featured Sponsor

Lately i am experiencing a humming noise when barehanding. Voltage is 500KV and is loaded at about 1300 amps. I experience the humming when others dont, any suggestions or thoughts????

Holy crap ... 500kv @1300 amps is my math wrong or is that 650 megawatts of power what size conducter is it? bundled
    1272 MCM ACSR
    Last edited by topgroove; 09-07-2010 at 08:14 PM.

795 AAAC 3 bundle, UNBELIEVABLY HOT.

4. Default Humming

Quote Originally Posted by PK270 View Post
    Lately i am experiencing a humming noise when barehanding. Voltage is 500KV and is loaded at about 1300 amps. I experience the humming when others dont, any suggestions or thoughts????
    I'm surprised that you've just noticed the buzz in your ears.
    When we were bare handing 735 in Quebec back in the 1960's we had that same sensation.
    I likened it to sticking your head into a 55 gallon steel drum and lightly hitting the drum on the outside with your open hands.
    No remenants of that sound 50 years later.
    Humming is a good term.
    The Old Lineman

This is a long shot, but microwave energy can be heard as a buzzing in the ears (for reasons that doctors still don't understand). Technicians working on radars have encountered this. Is there any chance that microwave relays are on the same tower?

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by PK270 View Post
    The humming is normal, it's the generators.... it's when it starts eating your neck up, like a hornets nest. Clean your suit and see if that helps.

You don't hear it til you bond on, and I can't believe no one else hears it.

Never barehanded, but my ears been ringing for years..wonder if all the glove work did it??
    Old Lineman Never Die......We Just Don't Raise Our Booms As Often

I dont hear it much in the morning but stronger as the day goes on, Ive heard it when walking the bundle before but I thought that was the wire vibrating. Other guys may not want to say anything due to the ball busting I got for asking the question. Most of my hot work has been from helicopter so that may override the hum. Didnt figure I was doing anything wrong due to the answers Ive been getting All in good fun I was just wondering what it was.

Thanks barehander

I've never barehanded but It sounds fascinating! Have you ever taken a temperature reading on the conducter at that amperage? Its got to be hotter than hell

Featured Sponsorr

Quote Originally Posted by topgroove View Post
    I've never barehanded but It sounds fascinating! Have you ever taken a temperature reading on the conducter at that amperage? Its got to be hotter than hell
    Same here Top...would sure like to, just for giggles!!
    Old Lineman Never Die......We Just Don't Raise Our Booms As Often