PDA

View Full Version : London

bren guzzi
06-28-2013, 02:15 AM
Heading to London today for a weeks holiday. Staying in Windsor ( next to Windsor castle ) .
40 minutes from the city centre " by train " ... I'm driving down from Wales ( about 5 hour drive )
And the mrs and the boy fly over tomorrow.
Soooooo much to do in London it should be a blast. I used to live in London so I know my way around quite well. I even worked as a van driver in London a few years ago.
Here's a little bit of information for you American types that I bet ya didn't know. In the city of London when driving around " YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TURN RIGHT " ... The reason for this is. As we drive on the left if you turn right you will block the on coming traffic ..
And as a courier in one of the biggest city's in the world..which is very very congested. I learned you can get completely lost and disorientated. Another courier told me a little tip. ALL THE SATALITE DISHES POINT SOUTH. so if you are north of the Thames follow the dishes and you will end up at the river and its easy navigate from there. :eek:
I will put up some pictures of the sights of London during the week. :D

BigClive
06-28-2013, 08:34 AM
My fave bit of London is Camden locks market. And perhaps the Piccadilly Circus area in the evening. Any time I've stayed in recent years I've used the Student accommodation that is available off season. Fairly affordable for a relatively central but small and basic room. (Which is all you need.)

reppy007
06-28-2013, 08:51 AM
:confused:...umm ok then ...we drive on the right and if you turn left..........well, you get it dont you.....why does a simple turn become so confusing.........I get your point.....say hi to the Queen while your there.

bren guzzi
06-28-2013, 09:10 AM
:confused:...umm ok then ...we drive on the right and if you turn left..........well, you get it dont you.....why does a simple turn become so confusing.........I get your point.....say hi to the Queen while your there.

London is a very old city reppy. Built before cars were invented. So no free ways through it. With millions of cars on the roads its very heavily congested. If ya turn right you block the on coming traffic causing more hold ups.
If ya want to go right to a place ya. Gotta go left left and left again to get there. :)
We've rented an apartment Clive out in berkshire as I used to live in Surrey I know the area well and know the train routes into the city. I will leave my car at the station and "commute" in to the city.

Ps reppy. I will get a photo of the queens little castle for ya. As I've paid so much tax in the uk over the years I feel as I part own the place anyway. :)

reppy007
06-28-2013, 10:21 AM
The Queen...what can I say,heard she got a raise recently...never been to london,but would like to go....now tell me this....whats with the warewolves in London....heard that song this morning.

BigClive
06-28-2013, 08:52 PM
Tell you what. I wouldn't want the queens job. Endless social engagements having to "connect" with the public continually without her royal demeanour slip. While the press spy on her 24/7 trying to get a bad picture of her.

London is congested. It's a great place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there. The underground system is just something else. I love it. They couldn't even start to create something like that these days because of the lack of skilled operatives and the sheer volume of useless people in suits.

bren guzzi
07-01-2013, 06:30 PM
Few pics from today.
Big Ben
The London eye ( wheel )
Nelsons column
Horse guards parade.
And a bus, :D

reppy007
07-01-2013, 06:52 PM
Who is big ben ? Is he another lineman,didnt see any photos of him.:(

Pootnaigle
07-01-2013, 10:53 PM
Umm I dont bleve he has been in here in quite a while but he has sum pictures posted sumwheres catchin fish biggern some boats n shootin sum mitey fine 4 legged critters

bren guzzi
07-03-2013, 03:55 AM
Who is big ben ? Is he another lineman,didnt see any photos of him.:(

Big Ben is one of those gay chaps you mentioned Reppy. But he's got a big " clock "

Pictures from windsor today..
The castle
A phone box
And a few of the Queens swans....

T-Man
07-03-2013, 07:02 AM
That statue of Darth Vader is pretty cool :cool:;)

bren guzzi
07-03-2013, 07:25 PM
Went to willy Wonka and the chocolate factory. It was brilliant .. Pic of the boss and the boy outside the theatre ...
And Sherlock Holmes ( on Baker Street )

T-Man
07-04-2013, 08:54 AM
Thanks for the photo tour Bren. Always thought a visit to England would be interesting, may never make it but your pics, get me a bit closer.

bren guzzi
07-04-2013, 09:48 AM
Thanks for the photo tour Bren. Always thought a visit to England would be interesting, may never make it but your pics, get me a bit closer.

If ya ever come over.. Most things will be still there..

Except my MISSUS ... Sending her back to Ireland on Friday. :D

Trouble1
07-05-2013, 06:57 AM
I went to watch a Patriots game in London. Boy do they like to drink in London. Boston is known for excessive drinking, but I was blown away over there and drinking is one of my favorite pass times. If I remember correctly you could get at least 4 draughts at a time at Wembley and you can drink on the street in that district. That's unheard of here.. it's two max for any sporting event. Drinking laws in Boston suck now that I think of it.

Stayed over in Trafalgar square.. Perfect location.

The thing I don't understand is why they make fun of American food for being fattening. Everything is fried or indian... probably because fried food and beer go together.

reppy007
07-05-2013, 10:47 PM
Hey Bren..question for you guys across the pond...does London still have places or areas that they left as is after WW-2....I remember seeing several places in Germany that was left still in ruins...places like Mainz,a city that was bombed big time....although they rebuilt most of the city they have sections that were not rebuilt...lots of underground concrete bunkers left in the countrysides....really spooky when you enter one alone way out in the middle of nowhere.Give us a little history of what you guys know that we might not know.Any good statues of W.Churchill or just the queen.

bren guzzi
07-06-2013, 06:21 AM
There are plenty of statues of Churchill around London. They have even his " famous speech " down by the river. There isn't any bomb sites left in London. The price of land is so expensive they have built on every spare inch. There was a few bomb sites when I lived there as a boy back in the sixties ...but they are all gone now. There's over seven million living in London so space is at a premium.
Nightmare journey back to Wales yesterday. The jaguar didn't appreciate being stuck in a traffic jam for four hours in blistering heat. Over heated.burst a radiator hose. Pulled off and two hours latter with the help of just my multi tool I was able to effect a repair. ( temporary ) enough to get me back to Wales ( over 250 miles ) ... Made it a long trip back. :eek:

bren guzzi
07-07-2013, 07:21 AM
They sell cool T. Shirts in London....

Y type of line work. :)