PDA

View Full Version : Graduated Top of the Class...Looking for work

HoosierNGeorgia
10-08-2013, 09:28 AM
I graduated Okefenokee TeCH cOLLEGE THIS WEEK AND i AM NOW LOOKING FOR A JOB IN tRANS OR DIST... tRAVEL IS NOT A PROBLEM FOR ME HOWEVER i WANT TO STAY IN THE sOUTHEAST REGION. ga pOWER HAS INTERVIEWED ME AND ENCOURAGED ME TO GAIN SOME EXP. WITH A CONTRACTOR THROUGH JANUARY OR SO WHEN THEY BRING IN THE CLASS OF NEW HIRES. ANY IDEAS OR ADVICE FOR A 24 YEAR OLD WHO HAS REFERENCES AND INSTRUCTORS TO VOUCH?? I APPRECIATE IT!!!:D

Pootnaigle
10-08-2013, 11:49 AM
YES If you wanna work for a contractor run dont walk to the nearest LInemans local and and apply for an apprenticeship they will send you on a job with no Interviews and it will more than likely be a contractor

HoosierNGeorgia
10-14-2013, 09:28 PM
Thank you sir. I appreciate your advice. Lee Construction has offered me a job in Newbury SC. I have my class A cdl now and they said they would start me out at 14 an hour. The downside to this is that I will get no per diem due to them being stationary in this city. Should I hold out for another opportunity or no? Ideally I was hoping to find an employer who travels so I could have my hotel covered. I have heard that a guy like me could expect to earn anywhere from 14-16.80 starting out. Is this hearsay accurate? Or should I just be happy to start work and take the 14?

Pootnaigle
10-14-2013, 10:14 PM
Umm I wouldnt put a lot of faith in graduating at the top of your class. I have seen too many graduates kaint rope their a$$when its time to work many of em dont know the materials nor the jargon used on a line crew for inststance you probaly know what a screw pin anchor shackle is but its a clevis onna crew

HoosierNGeorgia
10-16-2013, 10:38 AM
Yes sir. I know there is still alot to be learned. They can teach me the way they want to. I truly believe though that work ethic and thick skin cannot be taught, and that is what has gotten me to where I am at. I'm not hanging my hat on the top grade because that's just ink on a paper. The proof is the the pudding and I am eager to show that I can hang with these guys

Pootnaigle
10-16-2013, 11:14 AM
Ummm well I applaud yer attytude and its bout necessary to have one jus like that