PDA

View Full Version : Tricks of the Trade

Pages : [1] 2

Lizzy Borden
02-12-2005, 11:22 PM
Put a folder clip on the talk key on your company radio so you can not accidently play everything you say over the air.

LostArt
02-13-2005, 07:36 AM
Put a folder clip on the talk key on your company radio so you can not accidently play everything you say over the air.

LMAO! I can only imagine what Ms. Lizzy can say. Heh. Too funny.

CenterPointEX
02-13-2005, 09:46 AM
The ratchiting handle on a set of isolaters is actually one of them there rodeo wrenches ya pay a hundred dollars for if ya buy one. But I'm sure no one is gonna take one from greed.

Linemo
02-13-2005, 06:42 PM
My trick of the trade is to always have a rope sling in your bucket it will get you out of more binds than superglue well it least it has for me cause its the best extra set of hands you have

loodvig
02-15-2005, 10:55 AM
Ya know Swamp, you n I think alot a like! Although I hate to admit it! LOL
I too like a set of 6' comies with a bulldog grip. The new guys make up comies to extend way out to almost 25' ! Way too much rope for me! And a bulldog grip will fit about anything! Ya ever see the leather strap comies that Halls Equipment sells? A nice setup also.

Linemo
02-15-2005, 08:23 PM
Swamprat the set I have on my bucket are 25-30 feet long and they are great when you need em I used them the other day transfering triplex from the second story of a house to a new mast riser on an addition without having to let the service down across the road by myself !! But I am going to get me a short pair just like you use for those times you just need a little bit of rope!!

loodvig
02-16-2005, 07:09 PM
http://www.hallssafety.com/

they are under blocks n tackel, only they are nylon now a days.

will
02-27-2005, 09:58 PM
I;m a old groundman and my trick is to cut little hole in my glove to send up splitbolts,cotter keys,copper sleeves and all the little things dropped off the pole.Can;t teach the young guns where to put the handline when on a pole they hang it at there feet.Lord help us . LOL

spur
03-01-2005, 08:42 PM
When cutting in a inline dead end [hot with gloves] to sectionalize a peice of line, turn the shoe upside down to put the nuts on saves going to the tool tray or calling down to the grunt for dropped nuts.

work safe or not at all spur

toptie
03-01-2005, 10:55 PM
years ago when I was working for corn tractors and we had to drive rods to achieve a reading of 25 mega ohms or 5 rods which ever came first, we used to hold a 3/4 head hex nut to the end of the first rod as we set it on the ground. The nut being slightly bigger than the 5/8 rod made driving ever how many rods you were driving easy, since all you were actually driving was the nut its self. From the contractors stand point we were achieving the goal, but in reality the ground wasn't as good because less surface of the rods was actually touching earth. That is the difference between quality work and contractor UNIT work.

polehiker
03-02-2005, 10:27 PM
Back in 63 when I started, an old lineman showed me to get an old solid rubber ball (soft) and stick all the groundwire nails and clips in it. That way you pull out a nail and clip each time without digging in your ditty bag among all the other junk (Split bolts,scrap wire ends, etc.) If he was an old Lineman in 63, just think how old this trick of the trade is. LOL

doug
03-02-2005, 10:44 PM
I Use This Sometimes When Troubleshoting A Line For A Temp Opening.i Put A Wrap On Both End Off The Bells And Wrap Them On To The Wire.then Cut The Wire In The Middle And Bend Tails Up .no Hoist Need For Now.works Great Off The Wood Or In A Bucket.the Line Is Grd And Dead.be Safe.

lightningrod
03-02-2005, 10:50 PM
Sounds like a neat trick there Polehiker, think I'll borrow one off my boys sponge road hockey balls and give it a try.

Linemo
03-05-2005, 12:21 PM
Swamprat you just hit on something that is in need of me getting up on my soapbox and talking about!!! To all lineman and apprentices listen and always make this your number one priority when you are building any type of line work remember to build everything like you were in your hooks !Why you ask if you turn all your hot line clamps toward the pole when you have to climb it you wont be cussing because its turned away from the pole and make you do something you shouldnot have to in the first place !It only takes a minute to look down and see that maybe if you turned the the cutout a little it would make it a little better for when you cant get your bucket there just like running underground cables up the pole look up from the ground first and see where you would have to be to do the work in your hooks and move it to another spot leaving the good climbing spot open!! Sorry for rambling on but if we all worked this way it will make it better when someone else has to come back{maybe you} and climb it and the first thing he sees is it was built out of a bucket and its damn near impossible for him to do out of his tools!!!

farky
03-06-2005, 10:22 AM
man that sure is a lost art there. thinking about the next guy till some nite in a hell of a rain u have to climb up and low and behold the sorry sob that short cutted his work and now u gotta work ur ass off because of him.teach the new guys to think about the next guy it may be you.

lightningrod
03-06-2005, 07:50 PM
man that sure is a lost art there. thinking about the next guy till some nite in a hell of a rain u have to climb up and low and behold the sorry sob that short cutted his work and now u gotta work ur ass off because of him.teach the new guys to think about the next guy it may be you.

Couldn't have been better stated Farky, I do the work right the first time as I might be back up there again if I didn't.

will
03-19-2005, 08:19 AM
Hey Swamprat started linework in june of 77,i work on bucket truck with two lineman now almost 23 yrs. Was digger derrick operater for 5 yrs. Love to watch young guns work on the ground so funny ,like seeing myself years ago.The work has come a long way. My frist foreman was old school started in the late forty,s had to walk the line with him.

DuFuss
03-19-2005, 10:26 AM
One thing that can be helpful if you don't wear a chin strap on your hard hat is a piece of number 6 copper bent to form a hook. You can hang this in your toolboard and hang carter keys on it. Make it longer and you can hang nuts on it that come off your deadend shoes or 3 angle shoes.

Your lineman ratchet will come in handy when you are needing to bend some half inch guy wire. Just take the short tail that was left and pry it out with your flat head and slip your wrench over it with the small hole down. Now you can get some leverage to bend it out and bond your guys. This is probally violating some saftey rule as it is improper use of a tool, but we don't do that sort of thing do we? (Myself? I bought my tools to use.)

This tool is simple. It is just a twelve inch by half inch bolt. I wrap tape around it a the head for a thicker grip. Countless times I have used it to drive out old bolts, tighten hotline clamps or remove Jhooks. Countless times I have seen people use a 5/8" bolt to remove another 5/8" bolt only to have to remove the one they drove in. Bolt was free, tape was free. This is probally violating some saftey rule as it is a makeshift tool, but we don't do that sort of thing do we?

This tool is handy for removing staples, straightening squares and removing carter keys. You will probally drop the carter key so keep some extras. I only use it for that when I am trying to remove one that I is difficult to get with my hand or difficult to get to with my kliens once the hand fails me. (Square Cleves.) Tool reads ENDERES E5 5/8.

CenterPointEX
03-28-2005, 08:36 AM
Found quite a few in later years. AND...they were a pain in the Ass.
Reminds me of my fourteen years on nights... Many a cold rainy night when I was out der by my lonesome, I'd refuse a switch, n when I'd close it, it'd drop open... I discovered if'n ya held it up der just barely open you could draw a small arc N weld the barrel to the switch... Probably some of em out der still holdin... Later when one of em did drop back open I knew to dodge that order til daylight.
From all dem years of trouble shootin URD drops, I put another pain in the gazoo out der for the enjoyment of future trouble men... When you are diggin lookin fer the drops ya gotta stop N figure out which ones ya have as you come to a set of wires... When hookin up new services we started markin the wire wit colored tape... So I'd take the excess ya cut off, mark it wit tape... lay it in the trench just below the surface with the ends barely stuck up under the transformer pad... Right when a fella stuck his shovel in the ground he would think he knicked the drops... I just imagine their faces when they discover after ten min's of careful diggin that it is a fake set of drops... There is thousands of em out der that way...

Swollen Tongue
03-30-2005, 11:02 PM
When jackstrapping a small conductor to the insulator, don't use your good bulldogs. Use a service catchoff. Troublemen never get their grips back from the line crews.

LINETRASH
04-03-2005, 01:21 AM
Time to share some knowledge with you guys.

Ever reconductor an existing line, complete with pole change-outs? Yeah. I thought so.

Here is one of the tricks from up my sleeve.

I have seen many men struggle with the effort of transfering a transformer from one pole to another.

I have seen guy rig two hoists. or a set of blocks, drop the tx to the ground, then pull it up the new pole.

Bah Humbug!

Generally the new pole is taller. Rig a tx gin off that pole (after the primary has been tranferred). Cut the old pole just above the tx.

Next. get a strain on the tx from a hoist rigged off the new pole.

Then, tie off a tag line to the grunts, who love to pull things, to the tx.

Call for the chain saw! Cut the old pole just below the tx, using a snap cut.

Get the grunt to get a strain on the tx against how it's going to swing.

Snap the pole, let the grunt ease off the tag. The tx, still bolted to a small section of pole will gently swing into position on the new pole .

Just back off the tx bolts from the small old pole section, remove it, and throw it at a grunt.

Jack the tx into position on the new pole and...well I hope you can take it from here.

I've got a million of 'em.

A rigging fool.

Linetrash :cool:

spur
04-04-2005, 09:31 PM
a small but useful trick. When installing a bridle guy on a two pole structure, after your pole buddy has his on his pole take the guy wire put it over your belt stretch it to were it should go bend it and install a preform [only with a couple of wraps incase you have to re do it] at the bend. Make sure that the bolt for the guy hook is not tight and install the preform as you tighten up the guy hook it will tighen up the bridle make sure the nut is on the outside makes it easier to tighten.
work safe or not at all Spur

stratcat
05-02-2005, 09:46 PM
Hey linefriends,

I've been reading the forums for quite sometime and have really enjoyed them. Thought I would share this trick with everyone. With URD wire, such as 1/0, remove the jacket and wrap the end of the concentric just enough that it will fit in the end of your cordless drill. Tighten down the drill and drill forward. It tightens the concentric tight and fast. Works really well.

P.S. This is my first posting, hope I went about it right.

Stratcat

pole splinter
05-02-2005, 10:38 PM
Hey guys,
We get alot of real hard cca (green poles) now at our utility.It can be a real pain to drive date nails,copper ground wire staples,and underground shield lags into these things they call cca poles.I have gotten into the habit of spraying wd-40 on these things before you drive them in with your hammer.
We do this on new construction/dead work only.
On a new roll of tri-plex the end of the wire has two rubber caps on the hot legs,these are nice to slip on temporarily to some tri-plex up on the pole were you have cut the hot jumpers and the customer is doing an upgrade and you will be back later in the day to hook ' em back up,saves a little time and aggravation with tape while on hooks.They fit nice on the handles of channel locks on your belt so you can grab them easy to.3/0 underground wire caps fit real well on your sidecut/dikes handles to , seems to give them a better feel with rubber gloves on to,plus you can easily find your sidecuts when everybody's tools are mixed up on the ground. :)

Stanman, at ComEdy Il.
05-02-2005, 11:57 PM
Easy one, some don't know about! Got a M.F. nut or pal nut twisted on tight? Loosen 3 turns off regular nut, then turn your lineman's wrench upsidedown, place on bolt, and hit with your hammer! Presto, the nut is staight again, and will come off with your fingers! :D

MAVERICK
05-05-2005, 06:27 PM
How 'bout this one guys.

Ever have those pain in the ass pole butts that broke at ground level? You know, the ones that you have to dig down about 18 inches, wrap a chain around it and if you are lucky the chain might grab. If your chain slips, try cutting a notch in the butt with a chain saw giving the chain something to grab or try hammering a ground rod through the center of the butt, grab the ground rod with a little mule grip and pick that with your winch.

Works for me!!!

Apples
05-05-2005, 08:43 PM
How about this Maverick. Position your truck so an outrigger is over the ground level pole butt. Press that sucker down about 3,4 inches and cover with dirt,go to lunch. I sure miss the old days!!!

polehiker
05-05-2005, 08:52 PM
Brings back memories Apples. Did a few that way myself.I also pulled a few with the ground rod trick too. Glad to see a few of the old tricks of the trade are still around. Bet these young'uns still push one down now and then too.

DuFuss
05-06-2005, 12:01 AM
So that's the reason we hit a pole in the ground when we do a changeout... :)

I like to use some hardheads. I drive them in around the side and put a choker cable on it. Sometimes I put the auger on the ground and just yank it out. If it's rotten then it doesn't work so well.

bull
05-06-2005, 11:00 AM
I have found that if you drive a pipe of about 1 1/2' diameter about 2-3 ft into the butt and hook your pole chain around the pipe you can pull it right out. The local rea I work with just has some scraps of ridgid pipe and we leave them in the pole.

Koga
05-14-2005, 12:58 PM
Ever fight trying to get a line hose on say 4/0 or 750 on any size really.A little glove dust sprinkled in the crack sure makes it slide on alot easier.

Dont come down the same way you went up
Koga

Linemo
05-15-2005, 11:00 AM
Another trick on your hoses,guts pigs etc {whatever else you call em} is when you get your new ones to look for the ones with the longer lips on the bottom open side they go on so much better !Just in case you dont understand look at your hoses and if you have two different types try them and you will feel the difference but if you dont glove dust will be your best friend

Linemo
05-15-2005, 11:06 AM
Just remembered this after reading a post by Koga about purple cuff URD elbows being a pain here is a little trick when installing the probe if you look at the probe from the white poly end you will notice where the poly meets the metal load carrying part that there are two dimples on them just find the dimple closest to the threads and this lines up with the hole in the probe where your installation tool fits remember this and you will never have to look inside elbows again to try to line them up it will always work

LINETRASH
05-15-2005, 01:18 PM
Tied in with a guy once, I did'nt know about glove dust on the line hose.

This guy dusted all his hose.

I went to slap on a gut .

Sucker was mid-span before I knew it.

lineman641
05-15-2005, 02:12 PM
glove dust works good but doesn't last ,try a silicone rag you use to wipe down sticks . works good and lasts a little longer than dust

PAPA
05-15-2005, 02:56 PM
Baby powder works real well also.

Port
05-16-2005, 06:12 PM
Be careful with baby powder, some of it contains
aluminum, which can create a problem.

PAPA
05-17-2005, 07:16 AM
Thanks SWAMPRAT.

Been yousing baby powder for 40 yrs.Never had a problem yet.
But I guess the next Generation Lineman see things We DIDN'T.

Three
05-17-2005, 05:56 PM
Don't ya think all that aluminum in there just might scratch the poor baby's little butt Papa? :-) :-) :-)
Probably not, since there's aluminum in most antacids.

We've started using a silicone spray. Works 1000% better than powder. Just be sure to wait a min or two after spraying. The can says the gas is very flamable, so I don't think you want to put em on right away.
Just have your grunt swing them over his head like a helicopter for a little while.That ought to get enough air through them (plus it'll be fun to watch).

Three
05-19-2005, 12:14 AM
I'll get the name for you tommorow.
You should rub some of that baby powder on your ass. It'll help your chaffing, and it smells good!:-)

Koga
05-19-2005, 06:14 PM
Gold Bond medicated powder in the drawers every morning during the summer heat stops it. ;)
Dont come down the same way ya went up
Koga

lightningrod
05-23-2005, 10:31 PM
After we wash our rubber it is coated with a silicone liquid and then put on racks to dry, about the time the silicone is wore off its about time to wash again anyway so we don't have to reapply in the field.

otpig2
05-31-2005, 08:47 PM
I use silicone spray
CRC, electrical grade silicone
Made by chemtrac same company that makes cable clean
works great and when the hoses start to stick its about time for a bath anyhow

work safe
otpig2

pike rat
05-31-2005, 10:18 PM
That's cool man.
Noticed you're from the NW. You don't get much 98 degree weather up there, let alone...90% humidity.

Wonderin if any of the "boys" down in the south have used, or are usin that silicon spray? Would like to hear from them, and their take.

"Baby Powder"...Johnson and Johnson. :-)
HEY SWAMP used silicon for sometime now works great .10 times better than power

dbrown20
06-03-2005, 07:58 PM
Salisbury puts out some called Salco I believe. dbrown20

LINETRASH
06-26-2005, 12:28 AM
back when I climbed day in, day out, Your idea would have been helpful.

I was all the time looking for a place to stick my leathers,

your is a good idea.

But now, we have available these really cool plastic spring clips which I use regularly.

They are a diver's item, with a large clip for the guantlet of you gloves, and a smaller clip for wherever, belt, pocket, etc.

I now have one attached to my ear muffs, for when I am ready to try a questionable blown tx.

I roll up on a tx, blown, and "arm" myself, clipping my leathers and my earmuffs to my pocket, and putting kleins, channel locks, fuse, and finally, my beutiful extendo, of which I have used so much that I have developed rather large shoulder muscles.

Aww, all kidding aside, let me tell you, I love my job. ;)

oldokie
06-28-2005, 12:24 AM
How about your groundmen having your tap rod made up all you have to do is twist it on. How about using a 12" ground rod for a bolt driver. Using a hot tap
to twist your armor rod on works great on angel shoes in hot work.

Saline
06-29-2005, 05:02 AM
"all grown up with kids and bills" :-) :-) Ya think so? :-)
Naw....
Ya never grow up. You're always still a "Kid"....BUT...ya just ain't got TIME to PLAY, cause of all the Grown up shit ya got to deal with!!! :-)

"Back when I climbed day in, day out"
COMEON man! :-) You're 20 years younger than me! :-)

Anyway.....Thank you sir. It was somethin I did, and served me well, with many uses, in my "number" of years in Linework. "A little #6 hard drawn copper on my right D ring....helped me out MANY times."

I got caught with the same trick. A #8 hard drawn copper hook attached to the D ring: clipped in on it one day and nearly saw St Peter. I then changed it to the back loop.

Tsplice
07-01-2005, 09:21 PM
While your burning burgers,sizzling steaks,and hoisting hotdogs.I would just like to remind everyone.to put down the beer for a moment and HUG your kids and KISS the wife and above all,HAVE A GREAT HOLIDAY---- HAPPY 4th of JULY!!!!Tsplice

meathlab
07-08-2005, 09:11 PM
skin towards your chum not your thumb

meathlab
07-08-2005, 09:13 PM
skin towards your chum not your thumbprior proper preperation prevents piss poor performance providing people participate properly

Koga
07-12-2005, 05:43 AM
on a H structure on transmission. Always stabb your side first and then yell "I got mine"! Pisses the other guy off everytime. :D

LINETRASH
07-18-2005, 09:26 PM
Well, I'll tell ya, swamper,

I have known many linemen.

Your story of sending material via a set of kuntz rings a bell.

A friend of mine recounts a true story:

Larry Joe, a drinker, was up a pole drilling, when he discovered a nest in the pole.

Larry, being a good soul, gently gathered the 3 newborn chicks, plus nest into his glove bag.

He yelled to the grunt: "Be carefull with these baby birds"

At which point he hurled the glove bag to the ground!

It's true!

Some things you ca'nt make up!

"little beaver"
07-18-2005, 10:37 PM
For you Transmission Linemen, Have you ever heard of 'Striker Arms'? Possibly you used different terminolgy. Just curious!

"little beaver"
07-19-2005, 10:23 PM
The above was what we used to catch the timbers when we were framing H-structures with a chopper. We would drill the holes and mount steel brackets ie 'striker arms'. The chopper would fly the timbers in with the insulator strings tied up to the timbers and drop the timbers onto the 'striker arms'. There would be two linemen on each pole. We would then manuever the arms into position and drive the through bolts. We would use a 3/4 chain jack to slide the timbers into position.

The chopper of choice was the Bell 205 which of course is the civ version of the UH-1H (Huey).

"little beaver"
07-20-2005, 01:05 AM
Hey Swamp, You would be right in there with the rest of us. It's all part of the 'Brotherhood'!!

Yea, it was COOL! The lead Linemen, on one of the poles, he has a headset and he is talking to the pilot. The Foremen was Sam K from Rivers, Manitoba, and he is hanging half out on the skids spoting for the pilot.

We got D-Time for working under the chopper. At the pre-job one thing they made absolutely clear, if there is any kind of a failure with the 'ship' they will dropping the load regardless. Where we used this was usually at a river xing. There was lots of strange updrafts etc. Our best pilot was a Viet Vet by the name of Bob B. He is still flying here for one of the Oil Co's. He flies the 206 (Jet Ranger) now, his 205 (Huey) days are now behind him!

onetime
07-20-2005, 10:42 AM
This will help you get through the day.Better than sleeping!

Outlaw Lineman
07-20-2005, 11:26 PM
Take an old tire (15 or 16 inch) and cut out the bead. Then you put that big coil of guy wire in it BRFORE you cut the bands, now you have a reuseable guy basket. An old tramp showed me that one.

dooghi
07-22-2005, 09:54 PM
Yea we still use an old tire. It was here before me and that was 13 years ago I believe it was the first trie ever made.

dbrown20
07-22-2005, 10:32 PM
Old set of tire chains works also. The tire method is tried and true. Think I saw one once using a car rim mounted on the back of a truck. Didn't look to close at it and don't remember how it worked. dbrown20

LINETRASH
07-22-2005, 11:08 PM
Now they got prefab guy baskets.

I have made 'em myself out of #6 copper.

First thing I ever used is a shovel handle.

That's one of the funiest images I can think of, a grunt all wrapped up in a guy wire hairball.

I bet most of you have seen this happen.

igloo64
07-22-2005, 11:25 PM
MY TRICK IS TO DO THE WORK MYSELF SO I KNOW ME AND MY POLEBUDDY HAVE DONE IT RIGHT ! HATE TAKING JOBS OVER FROM OTHER CREWS AND HEARING THAT FAMOUS PHRASE " GOT IT ALL SET UP FOR YA OR EVERYTHING IS READY ! ARGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG ! USUALLY MEANS TROUBLE AND TO WATCH OUR ASSES ! :eek:

Buckeye Hand
07-29-2005, 12:35 PM
Hey Maverick,

You ever put a monkey face under your chain to pull that butt or drive
a ground rod down the center , it pops right out!

HighPotter
07-30-2005, 07:12 PM
"You ever put a monkey face under your chain to pull that butt or drive
a ground rod down the center , it pops right out!"

Can someone please explain this a little better?

I've heard the "drive a ground rod in the butt to yank it out"...and I can't get my head around this.....

Does it work on poles that are sheared off flush..?

Or do ya have to have a stub ?

And how the hell does drivin a ground rod in the butt help?

I think I'm gettin dumber as I get older...

HP

oldokie
07-31-2005, 01:03 AM
Yes driving a ground rod in a pole that is broken off will work must have good
meat left for it to work we drive it about 4 feet in or more don't go all the way
through use a good bull dog grip an chain to pull it out only had two that
wouldn't pull

Squizzy
07-31-2005, 11:16 AM
Must try that ground rod trick one day,if the poles snap off at ground level we often leave them and put the new one next to it. Or there is drill a couple of holes eighter side dig abit round the side and choke the chain on and pull out.On stubborn poles a shake side to side with the crane is good followed by some good hits with a large sledge hammer when the crane and pole puller have the tension on.........

oldokie
08-01-2005, 01:25 AM
I used lag also but when you need to go back in the same hole the ground
rod works great Iam talking about when pole is broke a ground most poles
will have some good meat in them make sure you put the rod there it will drive
somewhat hard if you get in the good part of the pole

igloo64
08-03-2005, 12:25 AM
ANYONE EVER PUT A GROUND ROD THROUGH YOUR HAND? HURTS LIKE HELL! LET THE AP DO IT ! blakely your still a ompa lompa clone

"little beaver"
08-16-2005, 10:45 PM
I was on a 60KV Transmission rebuild in 1970. It was 5 miles long we changed a number of poles, changed all the wire from #2 Cu to 556 Al, and changed all the Xarms and glass to clamp top. We had no digger truck, back hoe etc.
We did everything with a JD 450 Crawler. We had an old A-Frame Truck ( we didn't set any poles with it) that we used to haul the poles and pull in the wire with the Take-up reel. In one place we had to re-route the line around a slide and we set a 65' pole. How did we do it?

dbrown20
08-19-2005, 08:33 PM
Dollied it up and pulled in the new with the old wire.

Oh, you mean how did you set the pole, or what? Stood it up with the cat using tag ropes and then tied it off and pushed rocks and dirt around the butt until it was safely backfilled. dbrown20

"little beaver"
08-23-2005, 03:57 PM
We would dig the holes by hand just in front of the existing pole. To make it go a little faster, we would drive a hole down the center of the hole with a 'Johnson bar' and tamp in 1/3 of a stick of 40% 'ditching dynamite'.

We would hang a shive on the old pole about X-arm high and use a butt block as well. Then use the winch off the 450 JD to raise the new pole. In one place, we had to re-route the line down a steep hill using a 65' pole. So we first set a 30' pole using pike poles and then we 'ginned' the 65 in with the 30', again using the JD Crawler. We had side lines on the 65 with planks in the hole etc.

As you mentioned, we pulled the new wire in with the old using the take up reel that attached to the bed winch on the Line Truck.

The Foreman was Charlie Willete and two of his boys and his nephew started on this job and I believe that they are all still in the business. Charlie was a very good Foreman. The guy who operated the JD went on to become a successful road and bridge contractor and is VERY well off today.

It was near to a Ski area and we had a cabin up in the hills. It was a great summer. We were all 'unattached' and 'fancy free'. There was something about the 'old days' that wasn't so bad after all!!

garey
08-28-2005, 07:05 PM
ever heard of dillardsmith

DuFuss
09-15-2005, 11:46 PM
Sorry I didn't look back and see who posted this but thanks. I used their method of removing a gimped up locknut by putting my lineman wrench on backwards and hitting the other side with my hammer. Worked like a charm. After that I just backed it off with my fingers.

Some things that help me out of binds a lot you may want to keep in your bucket.

Hot hoist and at least 3 grips. A long sling rope. 3 or 4 shackles. Never know when you'll drop pins or need an inch to make something fit.

Another thing that you could get yourself in the habit of is when putting on guts put one on one way and the other with the head turned the same direction. I've seen a lot of guys put guts on with both heads turned into the insulator and then realizing later that they needed to move the phase when they didn't expect it starting out and make it difficult to cover it for themselves.

LINETRASH
09-24-2005, 02:31 AM
Here's one:

If you have a stubburn pal nut that is stuck, here are two cures:

D.A Bolt in a wood pole: put your screwdriver against the palnut.

Take your hammer and knock the shit out of the screwdriver.

This deforms the pal nut and makes it loose as a goose.

Bolt on any steel structure or steel xarm:

Take your cresent wrench and over tighten the shit out of the pal nut against the nut, this also deforms the palnut, making it easy to remove.

Far as a DA bolt in the pole, I have also driven the bolt out right through the palnut. Also easy.

I got a million of 'em!

xsuperv
10-06-2005, 04:53 PM
We use to have a "Forum" "Before the terriorist Crash"...named "Tricks of the Trade". A Forum, not a Tread.

I'd like to think the "Powers that be", might add "Tricks of the Trade" as a Forum. We'll see. It was cool then....It would be cool now.

Anyway...
One of the "Tricks" I use to do...if ya want to call it that,...

My Hardhat,

...I always had a chin strap on it.
Always.

Most times it was tucked up over the bill, cause I didn't need it to keep my Hardhat on, less there were high winds, or I was workin a Transmission Tower, which thank god was rare...

I use to use my Chinstrap to clip about 3 extra Cotter keys on it.

As a Distribution Lineman...You're GONNA drop cotter keys.

If ya drop one...Not a problem. Ya got a spare, right there. And...ya ain't got to wait on your grunt for 15 min. to be huntin thru the grass for the one ya dropped.

Matter of fact....he don't even need to know ya dropped it.

"Tricks of the Trade"
THE COLORADO SPRINGS TROUBLEMANS JOB. IN THE ADD IT STATES THAT THE LINEMAN CAN GET UP TO 11% OF THERE PAY FOR THERE PERFORMENCE IS A LIE. IF YOU TALK TO ANY OF THERE PEOPLE YOU WILL FIND OUT THAT KNOWONE HAS EVER RECIEVED ANYTHING OVER ABOUT 3.5 TO4.5%. ALSO IT IS A REAL SCREWED UP COMPANY WITH THERE POLICIES ANT THERE PROCEEDERS. YOU PRACTALY HAVE TO ASK THERE CONTROL CENTER TO GO TO THE BATHROOM. LINEMAN THERE DON'T HAVE TO THINK, THE CONTROL ROOM DOES IT ALL. THEY HAVE NO TRAINING OR ANY REFRESSER FOR THE TRADE WHAT SO EVER. I WOULD ADVISE ANYONE LOOKING AT THAT JOB TO TALK TO THE LINEMAN THERE BEFORE YOU TAKE THE JOB, THEY CAN'T KEEP EXPERENCED HELP AND HAVE HAD GOOD HELP LEAVE.

OLE' SORE KNEES
10-06-2005, 07:33 PM
THE COLORADO SPRINGS TROUBLEMANS JOB. IN THE ADD IT STATES THAT THE LINEMAN CAN GET UP TO 11% OF THERE PAY FOR THERE PERFORMENCE IS A LIE. IF YOU TALK TO ANY OF THERE PEOPLE YOU WILL FIND OUT THAT KNOWONE HAS EVER RECIEVED ANYTHING OVER ABOUT 3.5 TO4.5%. ALSO IT IS A REAL SCREWED UP COMPANY WITH THERE POLICIES ANT THERE PROCEEDERS. YOU PRACTALY HAVE TO ASK THERE CONTROL CENTER TO GO TO THE BATHROOM. LINEMAN THERE DON'T HAVE TO THINK, THE CONTROL ROOM DOES IT ALL. THEY HAVE NO TRAINING OR ANY REFRESSER FOR THE TRADE WHAT SO EVER. I WOULD ADVISE ANYONE LOOKING AT THAT JOB TO TALK TO THE LINEMAN THERE BEFORE YOU TAKE THE JOB, THEY CAN'T KEEP EXPERENCED HELP AND HAVE HAD GOOD HELP LEAVE.

Only the best tuna need apply............take it to BS column,this is tricks of the trade...how ya been Swamp?Have'nt talked in a while,hurricanes keeping me hopping $$ :)

toptie
10-16-2005, 09:31 PM
OSHA would have a field day. But in the hills of West Virginia when I worked for AEP , I put out a can fire with a can of oarange paint. Color had shit to do with it, but the can had blown its top and was on fire and had been burning for bout an hour. I took a can of orange paint and tied it to the end fo 35 foot telesocipic stick with # 6 alum. tie wire and got as close as I could with in the tele con bucket that I could, then held the paint can over the burning xformer. When the can exploded the blast blew out the fire by blowing awawy the oxygen. Then after it cooled we changed it out. Easy overtime that night.

markwho
10-21-2005, 11:49 PM
Yes Swamprat I have used that trick a couple of times, we call them storm z or Rube Goldberg , where that name came from I have no idea. I have mostly used them on open wire services #6 or #4 cu. Most of our secondaries are #2 cu. or larger so we usually tke the time to resag properly. Mark

Linemo
10-22-2005, 08:54 AM
Swamp you got me scratchin my head with this Z open wire thing please explain!!

LINETRASH
10-22-2005, 11:54 PM
I believe swamper may be descibing a method of sagging open wire secondary.

You tighten up sloppy copper secondary by twisting a "z" into it with your kleins.

I have done this myself, with pole grounds and sec.

That what you meant, Swamper?

JD426H
10-23-2005, 05:55 PM
"You tighten up sloppy copper secondary by twisting a "z" into it with your kleins."

That's it......but you gotta do it to both legs so the voltage doesn't get to the other end faster on the one that ain't bent! ;)

thrasher
10-24-2005, 10:59 AM
When I started out in the business a lineman tried teling me the Z was a poor mans lightning arresster because lightning didn't like to turn corners.

riverhog14
11-09-2005, 12:21 PM
Yeah, ive seen the Z twist alot in grounding guy wires together.

halfpint
11-15-2005, 03:44 PM
Is there anywhere in Florida a young apprentice can get his foot in the door?

old horseman
11-16-2005, 03:08 PM
An old narrowback taught me this trick one nite on storm. I couldn't get into a pad mount, cause I had misplaced my five sided socket and it was to tight to loosen with my needle nose. This gnarled old narrowback came over with a short piece of 3/4" emt pipe and used my hammer to drive it on :rolleyes: the bolt. A good hard twist with a set of channel locks and walla I was in the can. Coulda lied to you guys and told you I figured it out but credit goes where credit is due even if it is a narrowback!!!!! :rolleyes:

loodvig
11-16-2005, 04:31 PM
Beats breakin the ground and bringin out the Nico. :-)

Wow, now there's a name I've forgot about! The old 'Nico press'.

edski104
11-16-2005, 09:21 PM
got one in my linebag right now. used it today as a matter of fact,on some #6 primary,on a #4 neutral,and some #2 hot legs. just another day here. :)

DuFuss
11-17-2005, 09:28 PM
I have one. I haven't used one in 5 years though. They come in handy when places get stingy with the automatics.

EDIT: They also come in handy when you can't get enough copper for a bug. Just pop that sleeve in there.

toptie
11-18-2005, 09:22 PM
All the years working in the trade, there were several poles I help blow down with an air compresser and a blow-pipe. It was always a slow go, crimping the air hose and giving the quick short blast of air only to have pole only fall an inch or three at a time. One day another lineman new on the crew taught me about venting the hole. Make you a score mark up from the butt of the pole to mark desired depth, then cut you a piece of 2" pvc a about a 45 degree angle or better to make it sharp for gouging into the soil as you are blowing with the blow pipe. Find the pocket of air and the sand will shoot out like a rooster tail and the pole will fall almost faster than you want it to. :)

659Lineman
01-20-2006, 12:30 AM
Not really a trick, but reading about capturing guy wire reminded me of my first day as an apprentice. Seems 2 of the yards foremen were feuding. Really hated each other. I saw one put a new coil of 5/16 guy wire in the cab of the other foreman's pickup, then cut the bands and slamed the door. Luckly my foreman was the culprit, so I didn't end up cleaning that mess up.

659Lineman
01-20-2006, 10:26 AM
Here's a trick I use. When you get a new "kid" on the crew, cut the hook off the hand line and FORCE him to learn knot's. This new generation just kills me. I never thought I'd be the old guy. And I'm 35.

dbrown20
01-21-2006, 03:03 PM
Here's a trick I use. When you get a new "kid" on the crew, cut the hook off the hand line and FORCE him to learn knot's. This new generation just kills me. I never thought I'd be the old guy. And I'm 35.

Worked for a rat contractor once who didn't use hooks in their handline. Just had a loop in one end and used a sheet bend to tie the 2 ends together. dbrown20

JDbGruntin
01-21-2006, 06:51 PM
Heya,
My trick of the trade thusfar has been keeping a roll of super 88 tape pushed onto the size adjustment knob on the back of my hard hat. Dont know why it is, but for some reason tape is one of those things that is a pain in the but to find and you gotta have it!

spur
01-21-2006, 07:30 PM
This is not a trick just curious you said that you use a hook in the hand line? what type of hook is it metal or plastic? we weave a loop in our hand line on both ends of our hand line. Something the apprentice has to know because the journeyman will get him to make up a couple of hand lines just to make sure he knows how.
Work safe or not at all spur

old lineman
01-21-2006, 09:27 PM
We used to have to dig all of our pole holes by hand. Shows my age.
Anyway anyone faced with this task knows what a pain it is when you have to set a pole in a swamp.
We used to get the pole upright with ropes using the old pole. I mean the pole was literally sitting on top of the ground.
We would then push a pipe (about 2.5") into the muck about 6-7 '. There was another pipe inside of it (about 2") we'd pull the inside pipe out and drop a stick of dynamite into the hole. We'd then pull out the bigger pipe and set off the dynamite.
Down goes the pole about 7 feet. No muss, no fuss.
Down side! We broke about 5' off the top one day. That's why they make saws.
In the middle of the swamp--- a blind man would be happy to see it.
The Old Lineman

sickupnfedofComed
01-22-2006, 11:28 AM
I keep 3 sets of rope blocks(we call them jack straps) on the truck. The 25 footers are great for putting up wire that breaks midspan. Simply stretch them out, attach to wire on the ground and start taking them up. The wire pulls tight and takes itself up to the lineman waiting in the bucket.

659Lineman
01-23-2006, 01:06 AM
Whoa, hold on a minute. I cut out the hook, short splice the handline so its an endless rope. Then teach the ap how to send stuff up without having to haul the hook down to himself every time. You know, a grunt knot. That way, the lineman just grabs the bolt or whatever is sent up, the ap tugs on the line and it falls free of the bolt or whatever. Lineman isn't wasting time trying to get stuff off the handline. After the kid can run it properly, he is taught to braid a hook back in. Trust me, I know my knots and splices. Short, long, eye, back. I've even tackled a monkey's fist before. Don't think I could do one with out a book now though! Becky? Ya I know that one too. Started out when I was 18 on the 500 KV lines out here in the West.

Orgnizdlbr
01-23-2006, 03:46 PM
Give me a few days Spur....I'm off for a few days....

I'll post ya a picture of a LINEMANS handline. Complete with an adjustable becky, if ya know what that is.

Knots in handlines?....what's this Trade comin to? Pretty sad when ya see questions like this, and...Knots in handlines.

Can I get a little help here from some Journeymen?

Seems to me he's talking about a slip knot Swamp......

spur
01-23-2006, 07:50 PM
Give me a few days Spur....I'm off for a few days....

I'll post ya a picture of a LINEMANS handline. Complete with an adjustable becky, if ya know what that is.

Knots in handlines?....what's this Trade comin to? Pretty sad when ya see questions like this, and...Knots in handlines.

Can I get a little help here from some Journeymen?
Swamprat the pic of that hook is used on a running handline with a small snatch block and hook attached to it, We use it on larger poles. The hand lines I was talikng about are coiled up and brought up with you on you'r belt the lineman lowers it when he needs something and he pulls it up much more mobile. Having a hook on this style of hand line would be more in the way than anything else.Do you want a pic of that?
spur

T-Saw
01-24-2006, 06:36 PM
Well Swamprat, I'm not tryin to start any fueds or anything, but , my foreman and linemen did distribution linework for 30 some odd years and they rarely used an endless handline. When I started with the company I was kind of in shock that they just used a piece of rope with an eye braided into each end , and called it a handline. They just carried it up on their belts , same as Spur was describing. I offered to get out the endless , with the adjustable becky and haul stuff up to them , but they said they liked doing it their way just as well. So now fast forward 12 years , and I do it basically the same way as they do. It works just fine,and as near as I can tell, all the guys I'm working with are pretty dang fine journeymen. It 's all what you get used to I guess, and of course the amount of hook work you do. I know that we don't do near as much as they used to . Almost everything is designed now to be bucket accesible ( or buried, then you don't need a bucket or hooks LOL, but that's a whole 'nother issue). Occasionally we would hang a small sheeve and run a few things up, but they would very very rarely , break out what I considered to be a true handline , like you are describing. Well I believe I've rambled on enough, just had to throw my 2 cents in.

Just out of curiosity , do you hang a line if you're working out of a bucket? We have some guys that will, but most just go up and down to get stuff.

Orgnizdlbr
01-24-2006, 06:47 PM
I don't think so Labor.

"The hand lines I was talikng about are coiled up and brought up with you on you'r belt the lineman lowers it when he needs something and he pulls it up much more mobile."

I didnt see that post! I gotta go back and check!

edski104
01-24-2006, 06:52 PM
i've done distribution and transmission and both usually will use a handline like swampy and myself use. i've gotten away from using it after i hang it if i'm in a bucket, because it's faster to go down and get the,lets justs say,a cut out ,from the grunt ,who has a hard enough time trying to figure out his name,let alone how to hook up a cut-out so i can get it off the line easy.but most places do use handlines with hooks and you need to know how to use them for the rodeo,too.

Orgnizdlbr
01-24-2006, 06:55 PM
Well Swamprat, I'm not tryin to start any fueds or anything, but , my foreman and linemen did distribution linework for 30 some odd years and they rarely used an endless handline. When I started with the company I was kind of in shock that they just used a piece of rope with an eye braided into each end , and called it a handline. They just carried it up on their belts , same as Spur was describing. I offered to get out the endless , with the adjustable becky and haul stuff up to them , but they said they liked doing it their way just as well. So now fast forward 12 years , and I do it basically the same way as they do. It works just fine,and as near as I can tell, all the guys I'm working with are pretty dang fine journeymen. It 's all what you get used to I guess, and of course the amount of hook work you do. I know that we don't do near as much as they used to . Almost everything is designed now to be bucket accesible ( or buried, then you don't need a bucket or hooks LOL, but that's a whole 'nother issue). Occasionally we would hang a small sheeve and run a few things up, but they would very very rarely , break out what I considered to be a true handline , like you are describing. Well I believe I've rambled on enough, just had to throw my 2 cents in.

Just out of curiosity , do you hang a line if you're working out of a bucket? We have some guys that will, but most just go up and down to get stuff.

Let me get this "straight". You carry a coil of rope up when ya climb. When ya need something ya drop the end and pull it up to yourself. Ive been in this business 34 years, what the hell does the grunt do? My ground man is there to get the equipment to me, I must be missing something. How long is the "straight line"? Thats what I call the rope. I have to be missing something...how would you rescue a hurt man?

LINEHAND
01-24-2006, 06:59 PM
Have used the method described many times when there is more poles to be worked than there are handlines. Just tie a rope to you belt, the the grunt ties what you need on the other end then you grunt et up. Would never consider it a true handline since you cant pull up wire, xarm, services etc... Guess its all in how you came up. Were I was at it was the grunts job to make the man on the woods life as easy as possible, the groundhand makes the lineman, especially on hooks! JMHO

Hemingray Insulators
01-24-2006, 07:05 PM
ok, I'm a bit confused, now by endless handline are you meaning the rope is strung through a pully and then spliced into itself as you would splice 2 pieces of rope together?

spur
01-24-2006, 07:25 PM
Well Swampy I think we can agree that there is more than one way to skin a cat in this great trade of our's , I have used you're handline when there was enough grunts to go around but with todays cut backs that is not the case.

spur

659Lineman
01-24-2006, 11:37 PM
When I started I was told "Your handline is you best friend kid". We use it everyday. If someone can do the work from the ground, he does it. Changed out 2 poles today, bout 9 services between the two. The lineman, groundman and a handline swung them all. No slack blocks. Everytime we go up a pole, bucket or hooks, we take a handline. If the AP forgets to take it up, he is reminded, once he gets to the top, to come down and get it. We do run a 4 man crew. Foreman, 2 Linemen and a truck driver(operator). One more thing, my handline blocks have a "meat hook" and a "becky" on them. My "becky" of choice is a 10 foot rope through the eye of the block. Leaves 2 rope tails hanging out. We do have one guy that prefers the hook and slip "becky". Enough of my ramblings.

T-Saw
01-25-2006, 07:36 AM
Wow, who'd of thought, that something as a simple piece of rope would spark such a debate. LOL
To answer the question of Orgnizedlbr, you got it pretty much right. We drop the end of the straight rope and pull up what's needed. As for the " What does the grunt do ? " question....uhhhmmm , he works for a different company, LOL, we ain't got none. I know , I know , Iknow....the guy on the ground is the grunt , no matter who he is. I just have a hard time saying , that guy down there , that's been a lineman longer than I been breathin' , is my grunt.But technically, he is at times, and I'm his occasionally. As for rope length, we have various lengths, and as long as it is at least twice as long as the pole height, plus a little , no problem. Hurt man rescue, is practiced and done by wrapping the x-arm if there is one , or around the pole with a screwdriver driven in. I was taught to drop the block and seperate the handline if possible, even when working with a regular handline, then you do the same thing I described. I know it sounds very different, but believe me . We can all do a hurt man rescue , quick enough that i would and do , climb with any of the guys I work with. Now once again , we don't climb all that much anymore , but when we do, I would say ,we do a damn fine job.

As for linehands comment that you can't pull up wire, services , crossarms etc....., we certainly do pull all those things, and yeah it does suck to have to hand over hand a xarm up a pole. that would be one of the cases for driving in your screwdriver and letting the groundman pull it up . That works good on services as well, or just lay the rope over the secondary and catch off the service and have the grunt hold the tension while you swing it. ( LOL to hear the foreman talk , they used to not even bother with a rop or a belt if it was less than a hundred foot service, " Hell just climb up ,wrap one leg around the pole , grab that service and swing it over . I never did figure out how they carried the stuff reconnect it though , if they didn't have their belts on. LOL but I still love to hear the stories of the old days, and I still learn a lot that way. I've only been doing linework for 13 years so I still have a lot to learn.)
As I mentioned, previously , I thought these guys were nuts for doing it the way they do. I was taught the same way as Olbr and Swamprat are talking about. The grunt better have the next piece of material ready to go for the lineman, and if it wasn't gonna cause problems, it better be already hanging just below ready to be pulled up to him with a cuple tugs , when the lineman was ready.

But now after doing it the way we do it , I would say , for as little hook work as we do, our way works fine. I do think if I was going to be in backyards all day everyday, walkin wood , I would probably dust off the adjustable becky , seperable loop handline and use it, maybe , depending on what we were doing.

It's all in what you get used to I guess. I used to hate the thought of hanging a tub with a jib , until I was forced to do a few hundred LOL, due to a lack of an available digger derrick , But now, I hate the thought of having to drag that thing out just to hang a tub.

Aww crap, I gotta go to work, I think we oughtta start a lineman exchange program , where I can go work on a crew in Florida during the winter and one of you guys can come up here . LOL . You know , just to see how the other guy does it. LOL. Yeah yeah yeah I know, I could pack my bag and drag up just like anyone else, but I kinda like it here , overall. I think I'll just stay put.

Orgnizdlbr
01-25-2006, 10:54 AM
I was taught the same way as Olbr and Swamprat are talking about. The grunt better have the next piece of material ready to go for the lineman, and if it wasn't gonna cause problems, it better be already hanging just below ready to be pulled up to him with a cuple tugs , when the lineman was ready.

Thats how its done. The grunts job is to make it as easy as possible on the man in the air. Maybe I'm wrong and too old or been around too long but thats how linework is supposed to be. I'm also not a big proponent of the screwdriver in the pole for raising arms, use the right tools and ya wont run into trouble.....

Orgnizdlbr
01-25-2006, 11:02 AM
When I started I was told "Your handline is you best friend kid". We use it everyday. If someone can do the work from the ground, he does it. Changed out 2 poles today, bout 9 services between the two. The lineman, groundman and a handline swung them all. No slack blocks. Everytime we go up a pole, bucket or hooks, we take a handline. If the AP forgets to take it up, he is reminded, once he gets to the top, to come down and get it. We do run a 4 man crew. Foreman, 2 Linemen and a truck driver(operator). One more thing, my handline blocks have a "meat hook" and a "becky" on them. My "becky" of choice is a 10 foot rope through the eye of the block. Leaves 2 rope tails hanging out. We do have one guy that prefers the hook and slip "becky". Enough of my ramblings.

Thats what I'm talking about.......

T-Saw
01-25-2006, 05:42 PM
Yepper , a double bucket makes a very handy spot to haul some extra stuff up, I don't have one, but the other truck I'm usually with does, so he gets to haul most of it. Although somehow today, I got stuck haulin , three cutouts, 3 poly bells and shoes, a coil of acsr, and splices, plus 2 hot hoists , and my normal assortment of stuff up while we were transferring a buck pole.

To answer Hemingray's question : Sort of, lol , I have seen them spliced back upon themselves, and I have seen them with a snap in each end to hook together. They work great, I just can't get the guys I work with to use them.

Orgnizdlbr... nice one, on the let me get this "straight " comment

LINEHAND
01-25-2006, 05:43 PM
Seems like if you had a man on the ground to tie things on then he should be able to pull it up........ The way I was talking about is just a straight peice of rope with material tied to one end, get it off drop that end back down, but only use it when their is not enough handlines to go around, usually storm work and not gonna be up their long. Also if your pulling all those things (services, xarm,wire) up why not just put a block on it. Seems it would also make it easier than hand over hand for material too.

LINETRASH
01-25-2006, 06:59 PM
I was trained by a gnarley old school fucker who tought me to use the handline as a tool , not just to get material up the pole.

I have used a grunt on the end of a handline to let off as I took up with slack blocks when moving a dead end to a higher new pole.

Ive had 'em take a couple wraps around the pole and hold up some big loads while I re-rigged.

A handline is a great tool. The hook swamper showed is not exatly like the one I used to use, but, it is very well designed.

You can send up a xarm insulator by putting the stud in the hook and letting the square washer hold it.

When I framed a lot, I would get most of my material in the bucket, and also hanging off 2 or three of those yellow bucket hooks, very strong. In fact, if I have 2 heavy ass directional rectangular lights to hang, I wont hesitate to hang 'em both on them bucket hooks.

I always carried a length of 3/8" samson rope hanging inside my bucket, just enough to reach the ground. If I had to jam the bucket into a difficult and congested pole, I could just drop a line and pull stuff up that I needed.

I used this rope once to pull up my handline so the grunt could let me down to the ground . It was either that or sit up there for a couple hours waitin' on the mechanic!

Alway remember, a good grunt keeps a lineman busy!

old lineman
01-27-2006, 10:05 AM
Swamprat you seem to be having lots of trouble explaining the in's and out's of a handline with a hook.
You are 'bang on man' it's the best system going.
We called the cast bronze hook a 'meat hook'. The other end of the rope was connected to the hook via a snap hook snapped into the eye in the back.
The lineman could simply part the line by disengaging the snap hook. During a regular day of work, I used to disengage probably 10-15 timesfor many reasons.
This is by far the best setup I've ever used.
I think there should be an unwritten rule.
Linemen should never have to pull stuff up to himself. That's what grunts are for. Pulling stuff up always forces you to lift out of position (off to the side) and that's bad for the back.
The grunt can do this with the greatest of ease. If the object is heavy give him a hand.
A lineman using a straight line is far less efficient that one using a pulley handline.
A grunt can make or break a lineman!
A good grunt makes a good lineman. He'll have the next item required right at his finger tips when he needs it.
All the lineman has to do is reach out and grab it. I love working with a good grunt.
We become a TEAM, and there is no 'I' in team.
The Old Lineman

dbrown20
01-28-2006, 09:43 AM
I've seen handlines only made in basically one form. All used a sheave. Pulling up things by yourself is a piece of crap, using a straight line or running line as some may term it. If the co. can't afford to have a man on the ground to send things up, it's time to move on. To me it is very unprofessional, and I do it myself, to bob up and down in the bucket to get things. If it's a very lengthy task, I always take a handline.

A handline should always have a sheave. If the sheave has a gut hook or meat hook no becky is necessary. If not a meathook type sheave then a becky is necessary. Hastings makes a handline hook similar to the one Swampy showed and Chance makes one very similar with more of a sharp V to the hook. I don't like either. Bashlin makes the best type. I have also used a handline with no hook, just an eye in one end and tie a sheet bend in it. To be able to part a handline is a necessity. To send a heavy service up or something that may be a little to heavy (string of bells), and use a vehicle to pull it with makes splitting the handline very necessary. Used to carry extra sheaves on the truck when it became necessary to have an extra handline then just a long piece of rope was just put in the extra handline and tied with a sheet bend.

Western power in Portland or Seattle, I believe makes a good line of sheaves. Used to make the old meat hook or guthook type.

Pulling stuff up by yourself reminds me of when I used to work for Ma Bell.

I've witnessed 2 forms of grunt and lineman coordination when doing work. One form consisted of the lineman who wanted the grunt to anticipate what he wanted and have it there waiting. The other didn't want it sent until he asked for it. I favor the latter. I used to work with a guy who would take something unasked for from the handline and fling it. If the grunt became angry this guy was tough enough to back it up. His premise was simple. He knew usually what he intended to do and he did not want the groundman interupting his flow of work by sending up something he had not planned for. Usually a running patter kept things straight like. "After I put on these guts , the next thing I want is a set of blocks and a grip". Doing it his way usually resulted in a smooth operation. dbrown20

dbrown20
01-29-2006, 07:22 AM
Worked for a Muni. once. On a weekend another guy and I answered a call where the local power co. (OG&E), and the Muni. had overlapping areas. It was the Pwr. co's problem. Had a burned up Cutout on a lateral. When we arrived the Pwr. co. troubleman was there and was tooled up. He started to climb the pole. He had a piece of long rope tied to his belt. On it he had tied a pair of hot cutters, a shot gun stick, and a new cutout with a hotclamp on it. I said. If you'll take a handline, we'll grunt for you. He replied. I don't even have one. I went and got one from our truck and said. Use this one. He did and we grunted for him. I thought it pitiful that a large power co. would expect people to work in such a manner. I have talked to REC guys who changed out pots alone and while climbing. I know this can be done, but I just think it is pitiful that co's coerce their employees into doing such things. Then if there is an accident, who's ass do you think is blamed? It torques me that co. management with these co's want to crow about safety. What hypocrites.

As for Swampy's remark about training your grunt well and not saying anything to him, I would have liked for him to grunt for the man I spoke of. If you think he always did things exactly the same each time then you would be mistaken.

To me a handline without a sheave and not a grunt on the other end is not a handline. It's just a piece of rope.

If it's a life or death emergency anyone will do risky things. If not get some help. dbrown20

old lineman
01-29-2006, 05:11 PM
You know DBrown when I was 'huffin em' our grunts paid close attention to the progress of the job. He did this because he was predicting what the next step was. And as I said he could make you look real good or bad if there was a falling out.
Linemen get the reputation of being premadonna's because of that superiority attitude that you spoke about.
I always looked a my grunt as my friend not somebody I should beat on if something didn't go as planned. Shit happens.
In fact it happens every day. That's life!
I have investigated near 100 hundred accidents and read tons of reports on others.
One common thread when you do an interview with all of the players is "I didn't see it happen".
Here's my take on that right or wrong. I've seen linemen load up the bucket with enough cover up, tools and hardware that it will take him 2 hours or more to comsume. What's a grunt to do in the interim. What about the 300 lb. capacity of the bucket. (I'll bet they are loaded to 500 lbs. on a daily basis working like that).
Watch the girls go by? Believe me thats not a stretch.
When a pulley handline is in use the grunt is watching, predicting, planning AND possibly seeing a potential error. I believe that's one reason why linemen don't like to work alone, they want that second pair of eyes.
Let's keep them involved, interested and working as a TEAM.
By the way I'm with you on this working alone crap. We need someone in the immediate area who can climb, is equipped to do so and has rescue equipment and knows first aid and CPR.
An AED is a bonus that we should also be harping about.
Honestly I don't have much respect for anyone belittling another worker be him/her a grunt or otherwise.
All you have to do is ask yourself why is he here? To earn a living like you and me.
They say, "the world owes us a living, but we have to work like hell to collect it."
Lots of grunts go on to become linemen but some can't for fear of heights, physical liabilities, fear of electricity, and the list goes on. One thing I know they have the same needs as us and can't command the same wage so they struggle more than us.
The Old Lineman

LINEHAND
01-29-2006, 11:55 PM
Yea swampy, I agree that it is up to the man on the wood to teach the man on the ground what he likes. Even if it is a seasoned ape or grunt, they may be used to a different linemans way. I always teach my grunt to hook the xarm in the drop pin, or usually like them to split the line and tie a clove hitch if it is a crowded pole. This will keep it secure and very easy to just slip off once horizontal. And like you said tie it at the top with a "bow" .

old lineman
01-30-2006, 08:23 PM
One grunt we had in New England was a peach of a guy who had absolutley no desire to become a lineman but his whole focus was to become an electrical engineer.
He worked tirelessly going to university on weekends and nights.
Once he became an engineer I lost track of him but often asked about him.
To a man, everybody said he was the best engineer they ever had. He knew what worked and didn't and wasn't too proud to ask.
The Old Lineman

Koga
02-14-2006, 07:14 AM
write a book on the proper way for a grunt to work a handline. It seems a lot of the young guys Ive seen lately either dont know or dont care to know, how it should be done.Sure makes it hard for the man up the pole. After watching two younger guys roll em up after a job I had to show em how to make one up, so when a lineman carries it up whole and drops it, it rolls out nice and straight and doesnt get all tangled up half way down the pole.

Koga

Orgnizdlbr
02-14-2006, 11:49 PM
Well Koga,
Personal opinion. There's only ONE way for a grunt to work a handline. The way I show him I want it done when I'm up a pole.
AND...If he "don't care to know", then he "don't care to be in linework", and won't be workin with me.

Again, Personal opinion. I don't carry my handline up the pole rolled up. NEVER understood that. Seen alot of guys do it though. What ever works for ya.....

My grunt/apprentice, unwraps my handline...throws it out, and I hang it on my belt and climb the pole. What's the point in carryin that extra weight up with me and havin to undo it and drop it?

"Make it easy on yourself". Whatever "easy" is to you.....

Couldnt say any better myself Swamp. I dont understand carrying the whole handline up either.....why take it up just to drop it back down???http://www.powerlineman.com/lforum/images/icons/icon10.gif

dbrown20
02-18-2006, 09:04 AM
I think ordinarily most people undo a handline while carrying it up the pole, but sometimes in order to drop it down through a specific hole through the telephone or cable tv drops, I have seen guys carry it up made up and then unravel it. Also if you don't have one of those breakaway devices to carry it on some companies might insist that you carry it all made up in order to not get jerked off the pole by a car or something.

Guy told me the first time he was on a job and grunted, they put him on the end of the handline and told him. Here's your tether, don't graze any further than it will reach. dbrown20

Special ED
02-22-2006, 02:16 PM
Swamp... I use the handline with the hook and snap like to showed every day. Its is easy to use and if you got help on the ground you can use it for anything. Hell I have even hung small 10kva transformers with my handline. I've also used the straight line with an eye on each end when working alone. I would mainly use it pulling up services or other light tasks if it was something major I would get out the regular handline with the block and get some ground help..

The block handlines are awesome. Have any of you seen the Jem2? Its a handline block that has a brake in it to hold a load for you so the grunt can get back to makin up your material.

My handline and a sling rope are good friends up in the air. Now if I could just get a grunt to learn how to operate the hand line instead of his mouth I would be in great shape.

Orgnizdlbr
02-22-2006, 02:29 PM
I think ordinarily most people undo a handline while carrying it up the pole, but sometimes in order to drop it down through a specific hole through the telephone or cable tv drops, I have seen guys carry it up made up and then unravel it. Also if you don't have one of those breakaway devices to carry it on some companies might insist that you carry it all made up in order to not get jerked off the pole by a car or something.

Guy told me the first time he was on a job and grunted, they put him on the end of the handline and told him. Here's your tether, don't graze any further than it will reach. dbrown20

dbrown, if I have to drop through a spicific hole I still dont carry it all then drop it....I have the grunt split the line and pull me the end and drop it where I need it. If he needs the other end in the same spot i have him do the same.....

polehiker
02-25-2006, 08:00 PM
Know I have been gone from the trade for 6 yrs and hope you guys don't mind me jumping in now and then. Climbed and used a bucket for 36 of my 38 yrs out there and never thought much of the straight line and pulling things up by myself. As was said on here earlier,the handline that can be split can really be a good tool and make the work go a lot easier. It also gives the grunt something to do. Just make sure he keeps it out of traffic. Use it and all you young'uns can use your shoulders and back for golfing and fishing when you retire and you may not hurt quite as bad. The aches and pains come soon enough without any help.Just a thought from an old guy in Fl. for the winter.

Koga
03-23-2006, 12:01 PM
I will have em roll it out and carry the block up on my belt.On the few occasions I still climb :D . I was refering mainly to when its carried up in the bucket and then dropped, if its not rolled up right it wobbles side ways and gets tangled up about half way down.

Koga :cool:

loadbreak55
03-23-2006, 04:30 PM
A few months ago,while working on some night problems,some co-workers showed up with these new saftey glasses by craftsman.They have an extreamly bright,double LED light on the corners of each side.I went right out to Sears and bought a pair,best purchase I've ever made!They not only free up your hands to do the work,but there so light,you don't even feel them!Up till then all we had was a helmet light,that always needs re-adjusted whenever you moved.These stay right where your looking,and there ANSI approved.I strongly suggest buying yourself a pair,if you do any night work or work in dark places ,hell,there good for around the house too!! treat yourself to a fine new addition to your tool inventory.There only 20 bucks @ Sears.
:D

Squizzy
05-25-2006, 08:00 AM
That is cool, i don't suppose you have any have any contact deatails for Sears? I have been using a LED light on my helmet for night work and its great. It lights up 1,3 and 5 LED's at a time its light weight as it uses 3 AAA batteries and when you finish work take it off re-adjust the elastic straps and go fishing with it.....

toptie
05-26-2006, 11:23 PM
Fella's when I was going through my on the job apprenticeship, with AEP in SE West Virginia, the hand line was important to us every day. Working in the hills and valleys the hand line made the mans job on the pole a whole lot eaiser than it could have been. The lower class lineman such as a d or c class would usally be on the ground in very difficult or hot situations, and they were always trying to make the A and B class lineman look real good on the pole. The simple fact was the quicker those boys got promoted, the quicker the younger boys moved up the chain. Long story short, I can work the shit out of two linemen on a pole with the hand line. They would send tools down on the down line, and material would be going up on the up line.

BigClive
07-09-2006, 05:34 PM
Sure. Here are some handy tricks of the trade that apply to our current working climate.

Learn how to forge the signature of a lineman you don't like. That way when you haven't a clue how to do something or inadvertently fuck something up, you can remove the onus of responsibility away from yourself by faking his signature on the paerwork and writing.. "Wasn't sure how to do this, so took a guess." underneath.

Learn how to write rudimentary software in a common language like Visual Basic. That way you can write a program that lets your laptop computer fill in your paperwork and fiddle your hours in a convincing manner while you have a beer.

Invest in a GPS signal jammer so your vehicles GPS spy doesn't have a clue where you are when you don't want it to.

Always carry a spare pair of clean underpants so that when working on tens of thousand of dollars worth of electronically controlled power distribution gear and it unexpectedly blows up, you can at least have an air of dignity when the inevitable hoard of engineers suddenly turns up.

While doing storm work, wear a pedometer with a dollar sign written at the side of the display to remind you how much cash you're making.

If working in close vicinity to members of the general public, make sure you have a well scuffed hard hat, checked shirt, grubby jeans, menacing pair of reflective shades and the biggest shiniest lace-up boots in your collection (preferably an extrovert colour like red). If you feel you aren't getting enough attention from the public, mess about with grounding straps to pull a big noisy induction arc from a wire. Once you've got their attention, blow something up to see them scatter.

If working outside a building full of office workers, make them bitter and resentful by climbing a pole outside their windows, then accessing the Internet on your laptop at the top of the pole while kicking back with a bud. Increase their torment by waving at them and mentioning how lovely it is outside in the sun.

scammy
08-21-2006, 10:05 PM
clive your just not right ,,,,,,but ok by me.....scammy

Stanman, at ComEdy Il.
08-22-2006, 12:37 AM
Ever have an auto come apart? Ever want to open some wire up, that has a splice in it? To isolate yourself? Don't want to put another auto in there? Just use a hack saw on the middle of the splice! When you cut all the way through, separate the 2 pieces, and wahla! There is a trick of the trade Swampy!

Stanman, at ComEdy Il.
08-22-2006, 10:20 PM
Haven't really used this on small wire, cause you can get enough slack out of the wire to sleeve it again.

Here's a better explanation. On 477, 266, or 4/0 aluminum conductor. I'm talking the wire comes down because an automatic sleeve lets go. You arrive and only have more autos, the wire that came apart is in good shape. Instead of adding 2 autos and another piece of wire, just hack saw the old auto in the middle so the springs and jaws release. You don't have to add any wire, just clean it up and use a new auto. Or you're dead ending wire and an automatic sleeve is right where the shoe needs to be? Just need that little bit of wire(damn it), hack saw the auto in the middle, this way you don't have any autos in the span.

If we have 3 autos or more in a span the company will have us out there replacing the whole span. Hope this explains it better, Swampy!

"little beaver"
08-23-2006, 10:41 AM
"Got ya my man. :-)
Interesting. I just use to use my screwdriver, or "Whatever", to stick in that hole on the Auto, and release the wire."

I remember when I first started we were changing out lots of #6 CU that had "Reliable" sleeves. They had a place where you could insert " Whatever" into a slot that had a spring device that would sometimes release. I remember that we used the point of our skining knife. I don't recall seeing this on AL sleeves.

As for the issue of Automatics not holding etc., I always figured that for the most part, the ones that didn't hold were not installed properly in the first place.

DuFuss
08-25-2006, 10:16 AM
I've used the hacksaw thing on bigger wire myself. 4/0 thru 477 where we are jacking slack out and correctly apply the sleeve on one side but the other side screw it up and not push the wire all the way in before pulling it back out slipping out of the bullet. The sleeve isn't that hard to cut into and saves you from having to recatch and add in two sleeves and a short piece of wire. Great tip.

loadbreak55
09-02-2006, 09:02 PM
:rolleyes: I know some of you oldtimers have seen this before,but I still make a few "beer bucks" doing this for the young ones.I can drive a groundrod without a driver, by using only my hands and water,in practically any soil! :)

scammy
09-25-2006, 12:26 AM
you referring to me?

Alberta Apprentice
09-26-2006, 12:24 AM
spill the beans man! i got no idea what your talkin about. sounds like some crazy voodoo to me.

scammy
10-04-2006, 10:07 PM
swamp I thought you ment me for not bringing it to the table,,,,,,,,my bad . have fun and be carefull ,,,,,,the storms not over yet ,,weve been hit with the 3 worst lightning stormes this year in the past 3 weeks I was just getting readdy for the ice stormes,,,,,,,,scammy

linemanfrog
10-09-2006, 06:48 PM
I always keep a complete set of work clothes in the bucket truck un a plastic bag under the seat. Has saved me numerous time when I got caught up a pole or in the bucket in a thunderstorm or even just when I got real sweaty and nasty working. You would be surprised how nice a clean pair of drawers and socks feel and a dry shirt and jeans when you have been out all day and night.

Stanman, at ComEdy Il.
10-10-2006, 11:18 PM
Swampy,
I hope you left out the booze in your "awshit" bag. That would be the first thing packed!

Just a quick question though? Bucket ankle high, with hot primary? Nothing like getting stuck with a wire brush in the back of the neck? Makes you feel like a man? Just like a wet snowfall, that piles 6" on your hard hat. MF'er tracks like a bitch, eh? The tracking feels like, when you sit on the shitter too long and your legs fall asleep. Tell me I'm wrong?

Later, Stanman

n_ogden
10-11-2006, 12:30 AM
Stanman! where the hell have you been man?

BigClive
10-12-2006, 02:15 PM
Jeez! If the tracking was enough to make you feel like your legs feel when you sit on the bog too long then the current must have been in the region of 10mA plus.

Cool! :)

loadbreak55
10-15-2006, 01:51 PM
Alberta,Sorry to take so long to get back to you on this,but between work and honeydews,I've been pretty busy lately.What I'm talking about in regards to driving a groundrod by using only my hands and some water is pretty simple;you first start the groundrod into the ground keep bouncing it up and down until it dosen't want to go any farther.You then pull it up or out,and dump in a cup of water.Just keep repeating this procedure and before you know it your groundrod is in! :)

Stanman, at ComEdy Il.
10-20-2006, 11:19 PM
Jeez! If the tracking was enough to make you feel like your legs feel when you sit on the bog too long then the current must have been in the region of 10mA plus.

Cool! :)
Glad I never measured that shit Clive! A man your size wouldn't be phased(yeah right), the reason it hits you in the back of the neck? That's where the sleeves end and the real skin begins. Ain't braggin', just sometimes do what you gotta do.

Stanman, at ComEdy Il.
10-20-2006, 11:22 PM
Alberta,Sorry to take so long to get back to you on this,but between work and honeydews,I've been pretty busy lately.What I'm talking about in regards to driving a groundrod by using only my hands and some water is pretty simple;you first start the groundrod into the ground keep bouncing it up and down until it dosen't want to go any farther.You then pull it up or out,and dump in a cup of water.Just keep repeating this procedure and before you know it your groundrod is in! :)
May work for 1 rod? Not 2, 3, or 4, which is the standard here. 1 is easy, stick it in the pole hole! Was wonderin' myself?

loadbreak55
12-07-2006, 09:34 AM
:) Yea,we used to just throw the rod into the polehole too!That is until we got an inspector who gave a shit.Since then,our rods have to be driven out 18" and 1' deep from the pole on new construction.I was refering to driving a rod at an existing pole when I do it by hand and with water. So far our engineering dept.isn't requireing the resistence testing,so we only drive one rod per installation.:D The light at the end of the tunnel;could be a freight train coming your way!

Bell Wrench
12-23-2006, 04:40 PM
strippin hendrix or tree wire someone lost the stripper so we grabbed a torch and a knife. use your rubbers while holdin the propane torch fyi fire conducts.
Oh. and for you oldies who put 3 shive rollers in every span....
Have a small bucket go up as your pullin in the 3 hot legs, havem' rachet down the spacer on the messenger in the appropriate locations and let the hot legs slide on thru. no need to put 3 shives up everywhere. only on the poles and c brackets. Saves time and your back. Theres a tip for the oldies from the yougsters.

BigClive
12-23-2006, 05:20 PM
Naw Clive....
it weren't like that. How do I discribe it?....
It was more like a "buzz" around your arms. Ya heard it more than felt it, but ya felt it.

Oh yea, It was still raining too. Many, many times.........

NOT nowdays though. Wouldn't EVEN think bout it.

Sounds like corona discharge into the atmosphere. Was there a nice fresh bleach smell?

Schmitty
01-29-2007, 12:39 AM
Get the cable in place at the bottom of the pole. Slide on your pipe and kellum grip. Send either a rope or paper tape measure up to the guy in the air. Have him hold the rope in the position that you'd want your cable ending up up top the pole. Then he holds the rope tight against the pole and the groundman pulls the slack down out of the rope. Then about a foot below groundline have him tape the rope right to the cable. When he's done just drop the other end to the ground. Then pull the rope along side the cable until you get to the end. This is where you make your cut that you pull your concentrics back to. Just makes it so that you can terminate the cable on the ground instead of dragging everything up top. Also gives the guy on the ground something to do rather than watch you frame the pole.

I'm sure alot of guys already new how to do this, but I haven't see it posted yet. Have you heard of this Swampy?

Schmitty
01-29-2007, 12:45 AM
Also a bike tire works great for keeping hand coils of #4 &#2 ACSR. Little easier to manage than loose coils floppin around in the back of the truck gettin tangled up in everything.

Schmitty
01-29-2007, 03:59 PM
Never used a motorcycle tire, but might be a litte easier on the fingers than the tire chains I use. I'll have to give it a try. Thanks Swampy!

Work safe:

electric squirrel
01-30-2007, 07:09 PM
Instead of a tire ,anybody ever use a tire chain ? Its a lot easier to pack in the truck when you are not using it!! E.S.:cool:

electric squirrel
01-30-2007, 07:12 PM
I shouldve read the previous post !!!!! Duh!!! E.S.:cool:

"little beaver"
02-01-2007, 12:29 AM
That's a new one on me. Tire Chains.
I can see where ya could use em...but Damn! Would seem like a real Pain to me.

The key to usin a Motorcycle tire is findin a good motercycle tire that "fits" the size of the roll of guy wire.

"Back in the day"....
A good Harley Front tire would work...still does, but more often than not, the damn Harleys are runnin those "skiney" front tires now days. Don't work.

Get a Harley BACK tire, take your knife, and just cut it straight thru...someplace on the tire. Poke a couple holes for the 6 soft drawn to "lace it up" when ya put the roll of guy wire in it.

THAT tire fits any standard roll of Guy Wire.

"Chains", huh? New one on me...
Sounds like a lot of work. :D

When I worked in Montana they used Tire Chains for guy wire. It worked but was very poor way of doing things. It was easy to hang onto the truck. A tire that fits is OK, but the best 'rigging' is a custom made 'cage'. NO fighting to get the roll into the tire. You just open it up and it fits right in.

otpig2
02-02-2007, 01:24 AM
swamp The tire you have to unlace the # 6 and put new roll in then relace?
litle beav You have to get them to buy one of the factorymade
the tire chainyou cut down from (shorten)a regular tire chain so it fits tight on roll of guy strand then cut the bands; been using this idea for 19yrs.
all three are good
My trick is not to tough but Just show the grd man or apprentice how to
do their job to make yours easy. A good ground man will make a good journeyman look great.( i learned that 20yrs ago

ps schmitty 4 below tonight hope you miss it:)

Swollen Tongue
02-03-2007, 05:03 PM
Posted this on about a year ago. Used it the other night so posting again. Especially good for troublemen
When jackstrapping small conductor, never use your good bulldog grips. Use a service catch-off. You never get your grips back from the line crews

mainline
02-05-2007, 09:13 PM
this would work with the making your terminators up on the ground. Drive a j lag into the pole at about eye height slightlty out of line to where you want your conduit to go. Hook the pulling end of a set of commies onto the lag hook the other end into the conduit. When you pull conduit up into position you can use the commies to effortlessly control the bottom of the pipe. That way you don't have 35 feet of 5" pipe resting on your newly terminated wire, and you have an easier time lagging it to the pole because it is right where you want it.

linemanfrog
02-07-2007, 10:43 PM
Another method of holding the weight of the conduit and also to keep the conduit from damaging the cable is to drive a "hard head" or "lag screw" into the pole where you want the end of the pipe to stop. Leave only about a 1/2" of it sticking out of the pole. Then you can put the end of the conduit onto the "hardhead" and it holds the weight of the conduit while you install the straps and back fill the hole. The benefit is that straps always allow the conduit to settle onto the cable over time. The hardhead prevents the conduit from settling any lower and damaging the cable.

wildman23
02-12-2007, 09:57 AM
Yup. Always had one of those too.

Somethin else I always had in my bucket was a set of 6 ft. Snatch Blocks. "Comealongs".

They ain't used much anymore, what with the hot hoist's and all. But when ya need a quick grip and tug on somethin...They ARE the ticket. AND, they're light and portable. Also carried a Bulldog grip, but I think they are outlawed nowdays.

Ya probably had to be brought up with Snatch Blocks, to understand how great a tool they are.

hey i'm not 2 sure how to use this forum so please bear with me i've need some advice on tools for lineman,:confused: boots particularly i need them when i report to the albat center and there are so many options as far as height and other factors any advice would be greatly appreciated and if i am in any way disrupting this post i apologize.:confused:

harley
02-12-2007, 02:22 PM
check this post out
http://ww3.powerlineman.com/lforum/showthread.php?t=1975&highlight=boots

LU702 AL
02-12-2007, 09:14 PM
HEY GUYS, CAN ANYONE, TELL ME WHERE I CAN GET THE OLD MOVIE,
"SLIM" , THE ONE WITH HENRY FONDA, MADE IN 1937????
IF ANYONE KNOWS PLEASE EMAIL ME AT STOUT49@YAHOO.COM
THANKS EVERYONE, AND ALWAYS KEEP SAFE!!

hotwiretamer
02-12-2007, 10:03 PM
A pair of 9" Kliens with the cutting edge facing away from the pole onto the 5/8 bolt head will wedge nicely against the xfmr bracket, and you won't even need to hold onto them! (Just in case you have a stubborn nut you need both hands on to loosen!) It doesn't matter what your carrying, be it a Crescent, Channel locks, speed wrench, or Bell wrench your Kleins can back it up!
That's pretty cool.
That's what it's about. Learnin Stuff. "ALL the Time". That's what makes better Linemen. You're never too old to learn somethin.

I like your handle.

I carried a "Bell Wrech"...Ma Bell "S" on my belt, all my workin life in Linework. That was back before "rachet" wrenches.
Lag screws, carriage bolts, 5/8th's and 3/4's. All in one wrench.
That bitch even served as a hammer!!

Greatest Tool I ever had.
That damn thing was the only tool I found that would slip down in the bracket of a pole mounted transformer, when the bolt was spinnin around cause the nut was locked. It would fit right in, lock the head of the bolt so I could break the nut loose. Cool tool!:cool:

Neat handle ya got.

LINETRASH
03-23-2007, 06:12 PM
Just get what your grunt can get, catch it off with the shoe or another grip, or a grapevine.

Give your tiny grunt a break while you re-rig. Put them slack blocks and strap hoists away!

Call for a grip.

Split your handline. Drop the snap on the grunt's hardhat, getting his attention.

Slide the grip to the limit of your reach out the conductor, and then serve the handline hook through it and back into the base of your handline sheave.

Vola! You have a field expiedient set of blocks!

Sag the world. Always remember the man on the ground has leverage you need to take advantage of, not to mention giving others the gift of rigging.

dannyb
04-08-2007, 07:52 PM
Found this on the net....Saw the movie myself awhile back...kinda corny, but funnier than hell......let me know if you have any luck.
http://www.videorarities.net/hfonda.html

LINETRASH
04-09-2007, 02:45 AM
I cut the shit outa myself the other day.

First thing I did was wrap the injured finger in several layers of gauze, sealed with black tape, a lineman's bandage.

I keep my knife sharp. The blade went right trough my glove and sliced my finger somthing fierce.

I could see it probabley needed stiches, then thought, well, I have had plenty of stiches in my time, and went to the drugstore to get some crazy glue. (You follow?)

Since my burned up hands cant look much worse, I have elected to treat my finger myself with superglue. Damn the torpedos, I unwrapped the binding on my finger and slathererd on superglue to the cut.

OK so far, I will keep you posted....

OLE' SORE KNEES
04-11-2007, 07:05 PM
I cut the shit outa myself the other day.

First thing I did was wrap the injured finger in several layers of gauze, sealed with black tape, a lineman's bandage.

I keep my knife sharp. The blade went right trough my glove and sliced my finger somthing fierce.

I could see it probabley needed stiches, then thought, well, I have had plenty of stiches in my time, and went to the drugstore to get some crazy glue. (You follow?)

Since my burned up hands cant look much worse, I have elected to treat my finger myself with superglue. Damn the torpedos, I unwrapped the binding on my finger and slathererd on superglue to the cut.

OK so far, I will keep you posted....

If you would've filled out your orange check-sheet none of this would've ever happened !!..............yea right....they need to get a clue

LINETRASH
04-28-2007, 01:25 AM
Swamper,

I did well with the crazy glue.

I learned to leave the band aid off, it seemed to "hyper moisten" the skin around the wound. causing re-opening.

I kept the cut,(By my knuckle) dry and filled w/crazy glue. It will look funny, but you can cover it with a light wrap of gauze, kept loose around the wound.

I had to wear a size larger gloves for about 3 days untill it started healing proper.

Now, after about 3 weeks, I am almost fully healed, and have stopped the crazy glue about 2 weeks ago.

Bottom line, I can state that if you are a hand model, or some other prima donna, by all means, get stitches. Get a plastic sergeon.

However, if you are active and busy lineman who only asks that his hand support a wrench or hoist or beer or mixed drink, go with the crazy glue, it works!

T-Saw
04-29-2007, 09:15 AM
The old super glue , bandage trick..... actually , if I'm not mistaken, super glue was intially developed as a dental adhesive , to eliminate the need for stiches in the mouth. ( It never took off with most dentists... something about blood poising, or some such nonsense. ) I have used it before on some cuts, and my foreman , was a regular user of this method , until he retired. A neighbors wife went to the emergency room for a pretty serious cut , and they glued it back together ( they called it gel-type surgical adhesive ), she was in and out in less than 30 minutes, and the charges to the insurance company were just shy of a thousand bucks.

PA BEN
04-29-2007, 12:07 PM
I cut my wrist open skinning an elk, very deep and about 2’’ long. A long time before I would get to a doctor so I put a maxi pad over it and raped it with co flex horse leg rap to hold it in place. The next day we drove 8hrs home. It quite bleeding but needed stitches. I closed it with liquid bandage {supper glue with disinfectant in it} a very little scar left. :cool:

daddysteve
05-10-2007, 05:35 PM
Ain't really much of a "trick",
But it saves a hell of alot of walkin sometimes. I carry a set of pretty high power Binoculars ALL the time. They're actually the Zoom Kind. So If, I'm under a pole and lookin at a cutout...they still work, yet I can zoom em in and I can check out a lateral....8-9 spans.

Just reciently, had a lateral fuse blown.
Set up at the lateral to refuse.

When a Lateral fuse blows..."somethin" caused it. Took my "big eyes", and looked down the lateral. 6 spans down, spotted the vine infested trans pole with the door hangin. Refused the lateral, and got most of the people back on. Then went down and devined the pole and put that switch back in.

Saved me some "runnin the Line" time, and got the majority of the people back on a bit faster.

Binoculars.
They're not good for all situations, but alot of times, they save ya some legwork. The lateral I was talkin about, was 10 spans, road access, not many trees. Good view.

Ya gotta know when to use binoculars too.
I consider it a "Tool of the Trade". I carry my own.

I've had the glasses in the truck for years......Work GREAT for patrolling the lines at the beach too

daddysteve
05-10-2007, 05:46 PM
Yeah,
EVERY Engineer ought to spend a year on a workin Line Crew, as a grunt...before they go "inside" and start tellin Linecrews what to do.

"Reality" is a real "Learning tool".

Problem with that is you'd have to get them out of high school..........

lineman101
05-18-2007, 12:14 AM
The best thing that work's for me is a 8' telescope bucket stick.

LINETRASH
05-24-2007, 11:17 PM
Yeah, swamper,

Here we use "QSL" for affimitive.

No idea what it stands for, qoes back to ham radio, I think.

Our truck id shows up on these new radios, so having fun is out.

There was a forman who thought it made him look good to blast his hands over the air.

Whenever he would start one of his little boy tyrades, I would wait for him to take a breath and jump in with a lenghty "wwwwwhhhaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!"

That ususally made him pause for a couple seconds.

We had loudspeakers on our buckets that wer'nt switchable, they stayed on all the time.

I was driving my 1 ton ahead of my grunt, who was driving my bucket. I waited 'till he was next to an old woman and her teenage daughter at a bus stop.

I keyed up my mike and said "aye, mommy mommy!" (we were in downtown Little Havana).

The mom shook her fist at him and he turned red! I laughed my ass off!

Orgnizdlbr
05-25-2007, 06:37 AM
QSL (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QSL)I Acknowledge receiptQSL your last transmission. Please QSL via the bureau (i.e. please send me a card confirming this contact).

LostArt
05-25-2007, 08:57 AM
We had loudspeakers on our buckets that wer'nt switchable, they stayed on all the time.

I was driving my 1 ton ahead of my grunt, who was driving my bucket. I waited 'till he was next to an old woman and her teenage daughter at a bus stop.

I keyed up my mike and said "aye, mommy mommy!" (we were in downtown Little Havana).

The mom shook her fist at him and he turned red! I laughed my ass off!

LMAO!!! hehehehe......

Swamp, I'm going to start saying Seven. The kids laugh at me all the time when I'm on the radio. The only time I really use what you consider radio jargon is the occassional "Ten Four".

I'm use to talking on the radio, but I also know that there are others that are listening. So, I try to keep it professional. But, there are times when my co workers don't! I think they do that on purpose. :D

But, I really hate using the intercom for all calls. I don't know what it is about that thing, but I usually goof it up most of the time.

But, it is fun at times calling into a teachers room. There are several times when either a student or teacher is leaning on the call button. One time I said, "Please remove your body away from the call button please." I hear laughing in the room and the teacher says, "I'm sorry Mrs. Delegal. That was me." His name is Rodriguez. I usually don't cut up on the intercom too often and I said, "That's okay Ricky. I forgive you once again." He is laughing (his first name is NOT Ricky) and he says in his spanish accent, "Aaaahh.........Lucy. You know I love you!"

:D

linescum
06-03-2007, 01:22 PM
QSL (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QSL)I Acknowledge receiptQSL your last transmission. Please QSL via the bureau (i.e. please send me a card confirming this contact).

QSL is a term used quite extensively in amatuer radio, there is a whole list of q-codes that cuts down transmission time to nothing. I have been a ham radio operator for 8 yrs now and occasionally end a conv. with the dispatcher with my callsign...KB3GHW

warpig
06-20-2007, 11:28 PM
I didn't read the entire posting so someone may have mentioned this tool but I'll mention it anyway. The district I work in has used an inexpensive rope hoist for some time with great results. These are made by Madsen and cost around $50.00. Cheap enough to toss when they wear out. They are simple metal hoists similar in design to the cable hoists. The will accept any length of half inch rope and are rated at 1/4 ton. Real handy for services and lighter conductors. They have a snap hook on the hoist and on the rope. They are ratcheting and have a replaceable spring. The most common wear items are the spring and the rope.

linemanfrog
06-25-2007, 07:39 PM
the rope hoists are awesome for de-energized linework. Putting wire back up after its tore down, heavy services, pulling ATV's out, etc. The advantage of the hoist over slack blocks is you get more pulling power with less rope. Just be sure to use the recommended type of rope. Braided rope does not work with these hoists. There are endless uses. They are especially handy when working by yourself putting wire back up out of the bucket truck. ALso handy in the alley since the hoist can be let out, attached to the grip on the conductor, then the groundman can send the hoist up to you on the hand line. Once you hang the hoist you pull out the slack "similar to a handline" then once it starts getting tight you just start jacking up on the hoist handle. Be sure to oil the moving parts and the hoist will work slick and the spring and release will last longer.

linemanfrog
06-25-2007, 07:42 PM
The hoist is rated at 1500 lbs and you order what length of rope you want. I used the 50ft rope on the one I had ordered. Click here for the American Safety page
http://americansafety.com/default.aspx?page=item%20detail&itemcode=A-0

you may have to cut and paste into your web browser.

A Laska Lineman
06-27-2007, 03:58 PM
We call them an endless hoist. You can put on as much rope as you need to get the job done. Rope hoists serve their purpose in different situations. Here in Alaska there is a lot of hills, ravines, and canyons with Devils Club and Rose bushes. We also have lots of roads with a lot of switchbacks. They work excellent for bringing up wire from downhill up to the pole without having to try and climb up and thru the impossible. A handline is usally not long enough, even if you split it. Hunters here use it for getting 4-wheelers and snowmachines un-stuck because of its endless length. Never had a need to use one in the city.

doug
07-02-2007, 10:25 PM
I Used This Type Of Hoist. They Make Life A Lot Easier When Picking
Up Wire Out Of A Bucket When You Have A Long Span And Your Grdman Can't Get The Wire To You.just Put The Grip On And Start Hoisting It Up.mine Had About 75-100 Ft. Of Rope On It.you Don't Even Have To Use A Handline With It.

Swollen Tongue
07-08-2007, 07:21 PM
Whenever you have one of those days when you can't hardley drill your hole straight enough to get the braces on your set of buck arms buttoned up. I used to do like everyone else and fight the damned things. Now I just keep get out 9/16 augur bit take the 1/2" carriage bolt out of the arm and bore me a new brace bolt hole where I need to so that it does fit.

bashlin
07-21-2007, 09:39 PM
when changing a cross arm, especially in hooks..just unbolt the pins on the cross arms, and leave the phases tied in hanging..then once the new cross arm is on the pole, just drop the pins back in and bolt the on..make the cross arm alot lighter and make the change go alot quicker..

OutRigger
08-12-2007, 09:14 PM
When you have a pole broke off you drive a ground rod thur the center of the pole and leave about one foot of it out. Place a grip one it to the line truck with a chain and pull out the stub.:D

OLE' SORE KNEES
08-17-2007, 09:31 PM
...............................Old Trick (been posted before)

powerhotdog
08-18-2007, 12:03 AM
For those muscle cramps ya get in the bed. I gettem sometimes. An older gentleman tonite at a football game told me to sleep with a bar of soap, claims it takes those cramps away. I personally don't know if it works but it's worth a try. Those cramps are killer...

LINETRASH
08-29-2007, 10:23 AM
Anybody ever made a "banana" splice?

Heres how I keep my pressed splices straight;

Get a couple presses on each side of the center, then throw slack in your hoist, but leave it rigged on the wire for safety.

Then press your splice on out, the tension on the wire will ensure the splice is straight.

Edge
09-16-2007, 03:34 PM
hehe Banana splices... 2 tricks we had on the High Line.... 1 leave the bag on it while you spliced it (worked some of the time) 2 we had a sleeve straightener...(worked all of the time!!!!) a 16in or so piece of angle iron that we'd slide into the press after the last crimp... put that bugger on an slap the press in the middle of the sleeve and presto! straight sleeve rofl....

As far as hot line dist work? automatics for the win!!!!

Edge

Hey kid, wanna get high? LEARN TO CLIMB!!!!

OLE' SORE KNEES
09-16-2007, 07:42 PM
We used hot-stick wax or the plastic bag on high-line sleeves pressed with 60 ton head also, bag works better if done right, cut of the square section of an anchor length of sleeve,take the dies out and use anchor bar between sleeve and 60 ton head press it straight.Same thing different materials.

LINETRASH
09-25-2007, 11:48 PM
hehe Banana splices... 2 tricks we had on the High Line.... 1 leave the bag on it while you spliced it (worked some of the time) 2 we had a sleeve straightener...(worked all of the time!!!!) a 16in or so piece of angle iron that we'd slide into the press after the last crimp... put that bugger on an slap the press in the middle of the sleeve and presto! straight sleeve rofl....

As far as hot line dist work? automatics for the win!!!!

Edge

Hey kid, wanna get high? LEARN TO CLIMB!!!!

Yeah, man. we used a cutoff peice of 2" square anchor rod in the 60 ton head to straighten the transmission splices. Same as you, Knees!

Edge
09-27-2007, 08:18 PM
yeah, there were always anchor made sleeve straighteners on the wood pole lines but I usually worked steel... not many guys there (eh maybe a guy mast or a few guyed V jobs but most of those had torsion bar guys in footers) but I've been up a few of those 3 pole running corners with the 2 pole turning jumper arm too... and like I said always a anchor style version there.... good stuff...proves that great lineman think alike (rofl)

Speaking of working steel... when ever I worked lattice I always carried 2 spuds one was a Crescent the other was a ratchet style... kept the sockets in my nut bag along with a bull dick ( Drift Pin) guys used to think I was crazy till I'd tighten up the crescent and snap it on the angle and use it as a step or pop it in an open "step bolt" hole as a make shift step bolt...

and always had the socket and drift pin for those Fusser's that liked to yell "I got mine!" on the down hill side of gravity! ( never understood why guys had to stab the low side after all when the gin or hand line drops IT'S GOTTA GO DOWN! hehe)

Edge

Linework: Natural High

murph1
09-29-2007, 11:20 PM
when using jackhammer in rock hole take pvc hose half inch in exhast port tape to hammer run out side hole dust is way down .. if you ever done this you know what im talking about,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,murph...........

mmm2m8r
10-31-2007, 07:03 PM
I keep several square inches of flat air seal stuck to my boom next to the bucket to push small parts into (if level enough) to keep 'em from falling off.

slim
11-17-2007, 12:27 AM
cornergrounding delta can u grd 1 phse on the low side of a delta power bank and still show powr as a hot phase

Pootnaigle
11-17-2007, 07:08 PM
cornergrounding delta can u grd 1 phse on the low side of a delta power bank and still show powr as a hot phase

Sho nuff ya can. One ground can be placed anywhere on the secondary side . Depending where it is placed it will affect the voltage.Example if you ground one hot leg of 480 then a voltmeter will read 480 between any 2 phases and 480 from two phases to ground and zero on the other phase to ground( grounded phase and ground are the same potential)

PK270
12-04-2007, 04:11 PM
Need to find an electric hoist that can be attached to wire. Need to remove and install splices on wire sagged close to 8,000 lbs. We are currently using coffin hoists. we have to jack 4ft and sometimes more. It is quite time consuming and a bitch to say the least. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PK270
12-06-2007, 05:29 AM
Dead, pulling in new 1590. We are cutting splices out to pull and installing splices on new wire.

Edge
12-18-2007, 08:06 PM
PK270, hey man 1590's a pretty common Transmission evh size conductor... all we ever used were the ole 6 and 12 ton coffin hoists you jacking in new single conductor or bundle? if it's bundle I may have a trick for ya... instead of 2 hoist on the bundle to "lay the sag" put you pocketbook grips "or whatever style/slang you got for 'em down there evened out on the bundle and use some shakels to pin a yoke plate in both ends rig another shakle in each of the working eyes of the 2 yoke plates and put the ole 12 ton to work... then you can use 1 12 ton to bring up the whole bundle.... could save ya some jackin' 'specilly if your hangin on a hook ladder.... it's a trick me and an ole Kanunk pole buddy of mine came up with when we got sick of damned near thowin' each other off the hook ladder on a job that sounds similar to what your doing.... hope it helps... and make sure you got your hook ladder rigged right some other guys saw what me and my ole pole buddy were up too and tried it and damed near sent them selves to the dirt... they cut the splices out of the wire that their hook ladder was hanging from was funny as $4!t after we realized they were ok...!

don't forget to slide that aluminum sleeve on the wire for ya squeeze that damned steel core sleeve!!!! (rofl been there too...)

hope that was a little help... and sorry my friend never seen anything other that a hoist on 795 or bigger conductor...

Edge

Lineman do it with the lights on!!!

bryant45
01-24-2008, 10:26 PM
in connecticut thats what we call em. every truck has 2 up top in the bucket,a short and long pair. and another set in the truck tool bin.best tool on the truck,stay safe fellows!

jolineman
01-28-2008, 04:43 PM
Where I work we use the same "comealongs" but we call em jack straps cause if you need to sag some cut-ins or even primary ( if its dead of course) you can "jack it up" ! I have 5 sets on my bucket they range from 10 to 30 foot long. I'm new around here but this is a really cool web site alot of you guys seem to know what you are talking about. This site ought to be a reqiurement for all new grunts!

Hemingray Insulators
02-14-2008, 05:29 PM
i'm sure many of you linemen know of this "trick, but i thought i'd post if for those that have never heard of or used it.

heres a trick i was taught by a lineman a while back that i used today.

so, today the short bus that drops off the kid next door runs this lady off the road in a neighborhood in front of our house and she ends up with her car stuck on top of the snowbank. so i guess 2 guys in my class saw her and tried to help her, so i watched for a few minutes, they couldnt get her out, they were tryin to PUSH her car off the snowbank by hand lol. so beinb as it across the street from the house i go over and tell her i think i can pull her out. so i go and cut off a 10' piec of 5/8 guy wire and put a preform on each end. one i hook to my tow hook, and i have a big chain that has a large oval ring on one end and a big hook on the other. i secure that to the back of the frame, by puting the chain around the frame and pulling it through the oval ring hooking the hook to the other preform, have on of the guys from my school hold it tight as i back up slowly until it's completely taught, ask them to back up incase the strand should snap as a safety precaution. drop it in 4 wheel and pull her right on out.

long story short you can pull someone out of most situations with some guy wire and preforms and a length of chain. not that most of ya would be pullin the public out of the ditch, but you may come upon a situation where you need to use it lol. there, i can finally "add" a "trick of the trade" lol.

Moe
02-15-2008, 06:33 AM
5/8 guy????

Hemingray Insulators
02-15-2008, 10:41 AM
yes, i think its 5/8" anyhow. 7 strand guy wire.

Outlaw Lineman
02-15-2008, 10:52 AM
yes, i think its 5/8" anyhow. 7 strand guy wire.

I've worked with 5/8 guy wire. How'd ya cut it? We had to use a chop saw.

Moe
02-15-2008, 11:10 AM
Hemi, What color preform? Black-5/16, Orange-3/8, Green-7/16

Hemingray Insulators
02-15-2008, 04:16 PM
it was green. thanks for the size verification, i learned somethin today lol. and there i was thinkin it was 5/8":eek:

neil macgregor
02-24-2008, 03:56 AM
I use to carry a plastic bottle of baby powder, and just sprinkle some in the guts once or twice a week. :-) Needless to say, gloves too.

better to just rub a little on your hands than tip loads into your gloves
that way your gloves wont be stinking with powder once you finish and the powde will last longer

BigClive
02-29-2008, 04:09 AM
I always thought, "Stinki'n like a baby's ass" was a GOOD thing!! :D

Not if you're a paedo' apparently. :eek:

That's British "humour" by the way. I deliberately tamed it down to avoid offending the slightly more delicate Americans. :p

BULLogna
03-11-2008, 08:43 PM
We don't have groundmen so the crew foreskin runs the handline and he is not real good with it so when i am clipping in subtransmission tangent or wishbone constructiion, I take a set a slack blocks witha hook on both ends to lift the phases out of the rollers & up onto the trunion clamp or pin in the bell. Its a lot easier on the back and I feel I am in control. anything over 556 can get a little heavy depending on the spans a small sling might also be needed or you can use the tail of your blocks.

BULLogna
03-11-2008, 09:12 PM
I am union I work for a division of Ameren Illinois. I don't mind my Crew leader/foreman runnin a line cause it keeps him on the ground. I'd rather be lookin down than lookin up anyway.

BULLogna
03-11-2008, 10:09 PM
Any body got any good tricks for clipin that static when you ain't gotta gin and your pole is way taller than the one on both sides. Sometimes i'll run a line over the top of the pole around the wire and back to the bolt. I have also tried a can't hook as a pry-bar, and a double grip set of blocks to suck a bubble. Is there any way better to teach a cub who is kinda small?
keep lookin down.

BULLogna
03-11-2008, 11:12 PM
No offese, but,...
if your Union Forman/Crew leader, is "gruntin" for YOU...well, I won't go there......

where is there to go? we are a two man construction crew. sometimes we'll have another crew help us out on complex jobs like Y blocking hot 12 but usually just two till somebody needs trainin then maybe a cub will make three. If your tryin to get a union vs rat thing gowin well I'm sure both sides have quality wood walkin rascals as well as hand in pockets slackers. I like ibew. but I don't think Slim or Red were ibew back in the day.

BULLogna
03-12-2008, 12:22 AM
Any body got any good tricks for clipin that static when you ain't gotta gin and your pole is way taller than the one on both sides. Sometimes i'll run a line over the top of the pole around the wire and back to the bolt. I have also tried a can't hook as a pry-bar, and a double grip set of blocks to suck a bubble. Is there any way better to teach a cub who is kinda small?
keep lookin down.

back to the topic

johnbellamy
03-12-2008, 12:23 AM
keep lookin down.

Off the pole, use 2 hoists and two grips to suck your bubble. Rig as high as you can, take a eyenut with you and rig off the backside of your split bolt, or static bolt, if you don't split bolt your pole.

I would also suggest a second man, or a three man crew at least.

If you are going to clip transmission, or static from the wood, Take everything you might need with you to accomplish your work.

wtdoor67
03-12-2008, 10:38 AM
mention what size static wire or type of structure. One way without a gin is to put the back of your safety over the bolt on the back side away from you and letting the wire rest on your safety between you and the pole. With this method you can usually walk it up the pole and let your legs do the lifting. If on an H fixture of course just put your safety over the static bar.

BULLogna
03-22-2008, 11:49 AM
Have you ever tried to heat up a service that had a lot of load and everytime you tried to stick your tail in the one bolt it welded to the end. Unless your really fast and can get in between the cycles try puttin a couple wraps of tape on your secodary, Then slide the one bolt over the tape stick your triplex tail, then slide the one-bolt with tail back on to hot clean secondary.

puc
03-25-2008, 10:50 AM
a little trick don't know if some one said it yet but if you have to put a street light up or crossarm on the nut side put tape around the bolt where its in the wood and then slide the arm or light on and the bolt stays in the pole and doesn't pull out save a little time so you don't have to hold the bolt against the pole

LINETRASH
03-25-2008, 04:06 PM
I always hung my handline at the taller pole and had the grunts pull it up just under the bolt.

Then I would drive a screwdriver to hold it there.

I would take a short peice of gut and slip it on the static, then walk up a bit till I could squat a little and put my shoulder under the gut.

Stand up and stab that bad boy!

The gut makes it a lot more comfy on your shoulder, and you can lift a lot of weight with your legs.

I have also seen guys use a rig with a heavy beaner attached to a short rope becky and a 12" bolt on the other.

They would take and hook the 'beaner on the backside of the bolt, take it over the top of the pole, and twist it around the shield wire thus using leverage to "roll" it up to the attachment.

returntotheeve
04-03-2008, 12:14 AM
Have you ever tried to heat up a service that had a lot of load and everytime you tried to stick your tail in the one bolt it welded to the end. Unless your really fast and can get in between the cycles try puttin a couple wraps of tape on your secodary, Then slide the one bolt over the tape stick your triplex tail, then slide the one-bolt with tail back on to hot clean secondary.

Sounds like a bit of an a55 ache. Try smearing penatrox where your connection is sliding. Maybe it'll pick up the load without welding it together. Seems to be easier than wrapping and unwrapping, opening your connector to accomodate insulation, etc. Just thought of it. Let me know how it works. Sounds like a five dollar tip eh P.F.? Hello? Hello? You out there? Mucktuck.

mainline
04-07-2008, 07:40 PM
This might have been posted before if so sorry for the repeat. The other day we were sticking 35kv and had to take off an ampact stirrup that was lined up on the insulator we were transferring to. I tried to drive it out with the little hammer on an 8' extendo. It didn't work, so the guy I was working with told me a Goat wrench will will fit in a shotgun. I wound up and nailed the wedge square with the wrench head. It came out like a bullet. It was much easier than screwing around with the ampact stick set. The only warning I would give is don't wail on it if there is a car in the line of fire. Other than that it worked great.

johnbellamy
04-10-2008, 10:26 PM
Alot of posts about climbing over obstructions, or guys not wanting to un belt take a few steps and re belt.

Here is what I do. On your skid cut off that extra loop, grab the back part of the skid that has the holes not the buckle, pull with left hand, that will pull your right hip into the pole, hit the buckle with your right hand to pop the buckle loose, then let your wieght go back to lengthen your skid, now your skid is long, step up, then throw the skid around the obstruction and clip back in, no steps needed, then reverse process when climbing down.

Its any easy way for busy, old, or leaning poles, practice low first to get the feel. Maybe this will help some new guys.

returntotheeve
04-11-2008, 01:24 AM
Have you ever used a nylon safety? Holy hell are they easy to adjust. Get your weight off of it and move your buckle like you'd move, well, something thats real easy to move. Seriously its a one hand operation. Quick and binds back when your weight is back on it. And the ladies love it. Mine is orange.

Chazz2771
04-19-2008, 05:07 PM
I always keep a few paper rags in my hard hat......never know when you won't be able to get to a toilet have to go duck behind a tree and drop a deuce

bell wrench
04-20-2008, 07:14 PM
Never wore a storm strap.. I always back wrap my black tape so it don't stick to my chin. Helps keep my lid on. I keep my cotter keys on the strap on the back of my keepers(leathers over my rubbers). Another trick. I carry a spare drift pin for changin over open wire secondaries. Easier for bangin out the original drift pin in the rack....

Edge
04-24-2008, 10:30 PM
[QUOTE=LINETRASH;42133I have also seen guys use a rig with a heavy beaner attached to a short rope becky and a 12" bolt on the other.

They would take and hook the 'beaner on the backside of the bolt, take it over the top of the pole, and twist it around the shield wire thus using leverage to "roll" it up to the attachment.[/QUOTE]

That was usually my ticket... worked great for the most part... also liked to use the 'beaner and a dockers knot to jack it up and clip it in saved all that twisting with a bolt...
for what it's worth

Edge

some times I can't tell if I'm getting older or if the apes are getting dumber

Edge
04-24-2008, 10:38 PM
Alot of posts about climbing over obstructions, or guys not wanting to un belt take a few steps and re belt.

Here is what I do. On your skid cut off that extra loop, grab the back part of the skid that has the holes not the buckle, pull with left hand, that will pull your right hip into the pole, hit the buckle with your right hand to pop the buckle loose, then let your wieght go back to lengthen your skid, now your skid is long, step up, then throw the skid around the obstruction and clip back in, no steps needed, then reverse process when climbing down.

Its any easy way for busy, old, or leaning poles, practice low first to get the feel. Maybe this will help some new guys.

Brother,
Is there anyway you can clarify this? is this with a Fuc4squeze or Jelco? I'd like to know the Comp is getting ready to go to these damned suicide straps full time and I'd like any help I can get with them (since the company won't get anyone from the manufactures to actually show us how the flying fuc4 they work)

Thanks'
Edge

dying to get high and willing to hook it to prove it

johnbellamy
04-24-2008, 11:14 PM
I ain't never seen a bucksqueeze or jelco, other than on that canadian pole top rescue, hope never to see one.

I was talking about that little extra loop on your skid, If you cut it off, its easier to adjust,(lengthen out or shorten).

An Example of what I mean:

On an H stucture with double arms, If you have to climb above them. Let your skid out before you unbelt, step up while still belted, then unclip your longer skid and throw it over the double arm, then belt back in, then shorten it again.

I see alot of guys trying to belt over obstructions, and there skid is way to short and they try to clip back in and get too close and loose there angle, easier to cut out that way.

It works great coming down also, If you let your skid way out, then step down and get below the obstruction, then rebelt, then shorten skid again to climb down confortably.

When you adjust your skid alot and use it alot it breaks them in quicker with all the sliding it back and forth alot.

If you got use one of those, and your company makes you use it, all I can say is I feel for you Edge, It has to take almost all your movement and freedom away.:(

But maybe somebody like you can make some alterations.:D Let me know if ya do.

johnbellamy
04-24-2008, 11:48 PM
You can tell me I told ya so if it happens, But I ain't goin role over with out some kinda fight, I got some valid arguements, and they will be heard.:cool:

johnbellamy
04-24-2008, 11:53 PM
Now THAT is a useful Trick!:cool:

Seriously.
Been caught a couple times havin to use leaves. :D Learned though! After wastin a couple of snot rags.;)

Ware two pair of underware, and a wife beater, no leaves for this guy.:p

johnbellamy
04-26-2008, 03:47 AM
Naw.

I ain't an,..
ah,... "told ya so" sorta guy man.

I'm just sayin....It's comin to YOUR hood John. Sooner or later. Bucksqueeze and all.

Put up all the "fight" ya want man.
It's a "Happinin" thing.

Sorta like a snowball, rollin down a hill. It gets BIGGER, the more it rolls. You WILL get "Rolled over".

Enjoy your "freedom", while ya got it...But...the Bucksqueeeeeeze...is comin to YOUR Hood. Sooner or later.:(

OSHA...wants to "Protect your Life".
Cause...You're not smart enough to. That's why it has to be mandated....

The "Bullet Proofing" of Linework.

I have been "Grandfathered", I got a note from my shrink.:cool:

johnbellamy
04-30-2008, 11:43 PM
Shinks ain't cheap!:D

Chris
05-18-2008, 11:21 AM
When you are sagging a hot conductor that's 4/0 or larger and need to put an automatic sleeve in you have to make sure you get it to go in and not come back out. If it does then you're screwed because you won't have the room on that single hoist to get two sleeves in and cut out the one you flobbed up. You'll have to use another hoist stretched out and re mack out the conductor. UNLESS!!! Take a hacksaw and cut the messed up sleeve just about where it starts sloping down. You just need to cut the 1/16th or 1/32nd cover off of the sleeve. Once you do the sleeve will pull apart and it's guts will spit out. Now you don't have to re mack or re hoist. Just this time pay more attention when putting the sleeve on. :)

wtdoor67
08-17-2008, 03:55 PM
Swampgas, I will make my posting here on this page as I think CPOPE might be willing to file charges for getting off topic. I'm beginning to think he might be a little anal.

First, I doubt if I will ever post a picture of myself. I don't care what other people who post here look like and the idea of men wanting to see pictures of other men seems a little off to me. Maybe ought to contemplate a move to Calif. or thereabouts.

I would not call these topics tricks of the trade as I consider a trick something new or innovative. Really haven't seen many that fall in that category. I would probably use the term tips of the trade. Just things used and seen used by others down through the years. I believe I have seen most of the "tricks" posted here as I'll bet most of the others have. However I don't think a little review hurts anything.

I don't think putting a piece of copper wire on your belt is too original as it's quite common for holding washers and nuts etc.

Many of the things I'll list here are probably not new to many people.

If gloving and caught inadvertently by a quick shower, and having to dog it off rapidly a good way to keep it from eating on you for awhile is to quickly roll the cuffs of your gloves down. This will slow up the discomfort and maybe give you time to dog everything off. The same principle as skirts on an insulator I guess.

On a wreck out to remove an unscrew type guyrod from the screw anchor it sometimes helps to give the rod a quick smack with a sledge hammer. This will loosen it greatly usually and make it easy to unscrew.

If you're using those slide on rubber overshoes that go over your line boots, dust some glove powder inside them or use that silicon spray for guts. Makes them slide on and off easy for at least one duration.

For a good drift pin cut about 14 inches off a discarded 5/8 anchor rod, the kind that go to bust anchors with a permanent head. Beats ground rods all to hell for a drift pin. I've seen a few people scrounge those steel pins from those old secondary racks also. I always preferred the anchor rod. Bigger head.

If pulling a heavy load on a set of blocks, hook the hand line onto the fall line and have the el grunto pull it from the ground.

When mounting cutouts always angle them in about a 45 degree angle toward the pole. Your old buddy on the pole might want to open or close them someday.

A preform will work as a grip on solid wire as long as it's a size smaller etc. For example on #2 solid a #4 preform will work good. #1 or 1/0 will usually accept a #2 wrap and so on.

To throw a handline over a phase use the Navy method of throwing a heaving line. Coil the handline into a much smaller coil than usual, put enough in your throwing hand to make it over the phase, hold the remainder in your other hand and throw it in an overhand manner. If there's a snap or hook in the throwing end, thats good as it gives a small weight to lead the hand coil. If you practice this a a time or two you will see it's better than the common lineman method of making a normal handcoil and passing the wrap over to your thumb and throwning in the manner of most hands. Ask any Boatswain's Mate.

My last tip also works better in the Northern part of the U.S. and Canada. Don't whittle toward yourself and don't eat yellow snow.

wtdoor67
08-18-2008, 09:54 AM
Okay Swampgas. Your remarks don't surprise me either. Stupid is as stupid does.

The only reference I made to CPOPE was the remark you made inferring that he was no longer a lineman because, although he once was, just moving into management etc. magically changed him. He would be an ex-lineman I guess just as you and I etc. Other than that I would like to glean his knowledge as an engineer if possible. He has sorta become a bit anal and technically wordy in my opinion.

I believe after about a year or two of experience most hands will have seen and used 98% of the "tricks" you allude to. I have never looked into a distribution bucket or service bucket without seeing a set of blocks. Nothing new there. If I had a nickel for every piece of wire tied on a belt for holding nuts and washers I'd have beau coup moola. Here's one for you on that subject. Ever see those little plastic breakaway hooks for carrying your handline on? I've seen plenty of guys use them for the washer, nut purpose. They're non-conductive and clip over your belt. I know, I know, you've been away so long all this new fangled stuff is foreign to you. Bucket trucks etc.

Lastly I do not care what anybody on this board looks like, I do not care what race they are and I don't worry about their religious affiliation. I might like to know in what part of the country they work in order to understand what kind of weather problems they encounter in the trade and how it affects their work, equipment and hardware usage. I am mostly interested in linework and electrical theories.

If I see something I do not agree with I will usually reply to it.

THE KID
08-18-2008, 09:37 PM
I think an old saying I have heard and believe.

Fellows don't just learn the tricks of the trade learn the trade!!

wtdoor67
08-19-2008, 08:23 AM
The grocery sack thing sounds good. Just never carried them with me. Glove powder was in my glove bag.

Yes I meant anchor rod. Yes, always cut them off if not able to pull them out. Sometimes they can be beat down with a sledgehammer. Depending on the type of anchor plate. For me a scewdriver is not a good drift pin. Too much tap,tap and reset. Tap, tap and reset.

I've been caught in a shower a few times. I'm in Okla. That's where people came from in the 1930's to Calif. and taught the Prunepickers how to do line work.

Yep they still climb poles here and sometimes the wind makes it difficult with an extendo. Also sometimes run across a tall pole. It would be nice to have 100% bucket work. Yes they're getting a lot of those little backyard buckets but not every crew has acess to one.

For using the preforms, it's not mandatory, just once in awhile it comes in handy. Until in the middle 80's everything was mostly climbed in my experience. If something was at hand and would work just used it instead of sending the grunt back to the truck to get another grip.

A heavy load on a set of blocks is just one that I have a little trouble alone. If there's a groundman there, I'll let him help me. Just a six foot set of slack blocks for pulling up wire etc. Common as gays in Calif.

Rolling the glove cuffs down seems to work. The discomfort I think might have something to do with the humidity and of course the rain itself. I have seen it tough enough you could hardly hold onto the wire. Yes it affected everyone at the same time. Not a fault of the glove. I'm fairly sure they haven't been gloving higher voltages in Calif. very long. You'll know when they started.

I was a fleet type once. Spent several years as a CB reservist as a CE. Wasn't impressed with the reg. Nav. CB's. They were good at field problems but didn't know much about their rating. Of course they were mostly kids.

Yeah I know they get some hellacious snows in the Sierras. I have a brother who lives in N. Calif.

Deepest snow in the WORLD is in the Chugach Mts. of Alaska. 600 plus inches per. yr.

tomcat
08-20-2008, 08:35 PM
Hello, Its has been some time since I have been on here, Had to create a new profile, Oh Well!

I've been reading some tricks of the trade, there are several good "Quotes" the pertain to "6 foot comies". I would like to add that there is a place for different lengths from 4footers-a couple of grips and a short mack ( to repair small cwc wire or to use as a third hand) all the way up to 25 or 30 feet. The longer lengths may be used out of the bucket, off the pole or standing on the ground. Lots and lots of uses.

Try this trick, wire down of a pole in a R.O.W. climb the pole, put a grip on the wire next to the insulator or spool affix the attched hook on comies to grip, put affixed grip on the down tail, cut wire in-between the two grips and let your groundman pull on the tail. If you can not get tails together put the comie on the handline and let it aut farther. When wire is together, pull hook back up to climber, transfer hook to grip, attach fall line of comies to handline hook, let ground buddy do the pulling, lock off at sag, sleeve and you are down. ( If you cut out any bad wire make sur to add in and adjust grip on down wire accordingly.)

These comies or long blocks as we call them, are very handy.

Can be used to put wire together on the ground, and then let it fly!!!

dcider
09-01-2008, 12:18 PM
Ya know Swamp, you n I think alot a like! Although I hate to admit it! LOL
I too like a set of 6' comies with a bulldog grip. The new guys make up comies to extend way out to almost 25' ! Way too much rope for me! And a bulldog grip will fit about anything! Ya ever see the leather strap comies that Halls Equipment sells? A nice setup also.
We use something similar called a jack strap, made by klein, usually have 2 in the bucket,

http://www.linestar.ca/linestar/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=4&products_id=79

newline
11-05-2008, 07:47 PM
Well I have to say I have read all 33 pages of these tricks and I am taking a lot with me to the job. I am only new to this forum and new to this awsome job. So take it easy on a young fella if you already heard these tricks.

To finish tighten a top pin insulator, either take it back off and tap the lead top or put the eye of your handline around on of the horns, turn the rope around the bottom of the same side inserting the soft handle of your wrench or hammer, this will give you the leverage to turn the insulator.

When you are cutting live triplex, put the live end in the cove of your pliers, this will help to control the wire after it cuts.

Well I have a couple more, but I'll quit while I'm ahead.

Enjoy

OLE' SORE KNEES
11-05-2008, 08:16 PM
Well I have to say I have read all 33 pages of these tricks and I am taking a lot with me to the job. I am only new to this forum and new to this awsome job. So take it easy on a young fella if you already heard these tricks.

To finish tighten a top pin insulator, either take it back off and tap the lead top or put the eye of your handline around on of the horns, turn the rope around the bottom of the same side inserting the soft handle of your wrench or hammer, this will give you the leverage to turn the insulator.

When you are cutting live triplex, put the live end in the cove of your pliers, this will help to control the wire after it cuts.

Well I have a couple more, but I'll quit while I'm ahead.

Enjoy

LOL........LOL

wtdoor67
11-05-2008, 10:35 PM
I've seen insulator wrenches made from a former hammer handle of wood or fiberglas handle from some tool. Just put some 3/8 rope in a hole in the end of the handle in the form of a loop and when you hook it over the ears of the insulator you can put plenty of torque on those larger insulators.

A pretty good insulator wrench can be made using the bail from a wedge grip, the ones that use a little cable that you choke around the attachment point. Just throw away the shuck of the wedge grip, cut the hole where the cable goes through the male part and remove the cable part. Then take a 12" or 14" 5/8 bolt and remove all nuts on the bolt. Then run on one lock washer a little ways up the bolt. Spread the knurled metal part on the cable so it will fit over the threaded part next to the lock nut. Then follow with another lock nut and jam the first lock nut and the second together with a couple of wrenches with the knurled part of the cable between the 2 lock nuts. Then you have a bolt with a loop on the end. It looks as if it would bust the insulator glass, but it doesn't. Works good when framing on the ground.

topgroove
11-05-2008, 11:04 PM
when closing a secondary break after isolating a burnt up transformer .try using a urd secondary splice. they're great for picking up load.

newline
11-06-2008, 07:03 PM
Hey sore ol Knees, if you have a problem with an apprentice maybe helping out another newby to the job, then tell me, but laughing at my ideas is not what this forum is for cat. Last time I checked it is about tricks of the trade, and if they are not tricks, then tell me.

Pootnaigle
11-06-2008, 08:10 PM
when screwin insulators on a lead headed steel pin get em tite as ya can by hand n then bang on the pin wiffa hammer while exertin pressure on the insulator. You wud be amazed at how much you can tighten em when usin this method.

johnbellamy
11-06-2008, 08:41 PM
when screwin insulators on a lead headed steel pin get em tite as ya can by hand n then bang on the pin wiffa hammer while exertin pressure on the insulator. You wud be amazed at how much you can tighten em when usin this method.

You can also throw a layer of 88 tape on threads, it can also be used when threads are worn and your somewhere where you don't have a replacement.

You can also make a tightner with a rope with a eye splice and a wood handle with a hole drilled in it. Buy they get lost pretty easy.

Special ED
12-02-2008, 12:11 PM
Most tricks of the trade are best unsaid cause with the shortage of lineman we wouldn't wanna see apes gettin canned cause an old timer or seasoned line hand showed em a trick or shortcut.

Then again I've always believed its better to go ahead and do it and ask for forgiveness than it is to ask for permission.

Heres a trick you dont wanna do in front of anyone from altec. lol

Say your pullin a pole and your pole jack is out of commision and you wiggle the pole and it still wont break free and the trucks winch and boom keep stopping from the overload sensors on it. Well if your set up in the right spot lower the auger and place it on a couple outrigger pads while grabbing the pole in the claws and winchin up. The auger will act as a brace and allow you to use more power to pull.

DO NOT USE THE THIRD STAGE THOUGH!! Seen a guy use the 3rd stage and decided to stick out with it and it overloaded the fiberglass boom so much it exploded.

OLE' SORE KNEES
12-02-2008, 05:25 PM
Don't mention my 1st. name or location Swamp....the stupervisors are trying to figure me out on here :),gotta keep em' guessing anyway,Might have been posted here before ,Gotta keep Swamps thread going.On those rear of Tx. changeouts before these fancy new machines that are basically mini-cranes I used to work with an old timer that used to watch lineman either carry tx.'s with a sling and Chipping Bar with a lineman on each side OR Fight it back there with a Hand Truck. The old man was pretty clever . Go to the pole and dig down 12'' underground at the base of pole and sound pole with hammer and screwdriver ,if a good pole we did this.... get the Digger truck out at the road with turret in line(get the most reach for winch-line) with pole put a Yellowbelly (Nylon Sling) at the base ,run the winch-line to the base and hook-up to the sling ,put a sherman riley upside down on the winch-line with the bottom-side of the sherman riley(roller-block) tied to the Tx. and by raising or lowering the boom you control the speed of the Tx riding the winch-line on the "trolley" . Rig It Not Fight It. Probably old news for alot of guys but maybe not for new ones.
Take Care ...........Ole' Sore Knees

Special ED
12-02-2008, 05:48 PM
I've used that trick before but also seen a pole get pulled over that way also. They put the sling bout head high and started winchin up to get the line banjo tight. It was a laugh when the pole started commin over.

Works best on guyed poles or if you can pull in line. But all in all it works.

Also on single phase in the rears depending on the conditon of the poles your changing out we would set the new poles off the old ones. Had our engineer out on one of them jobs and he watched me climb half way up the old pole and rig a sling and block and asked "Whats he doin that for?" and the line boss just laughed and said "Watch youll see!"

Arranged an outage opened up the cut out feeding the tap. And used the winch line on the truck along with some bull rope to winch the new pole up and into the hole next to the old one.

Line boss looked at the engineer and said "I dunno why you all wanted that pole changed out its still got a good 5 years left in it."

OLE' SORE KNEES
12-03-2008, 06:41 PM
Hey sore ol Knees, if you have a problem with an apprentice maybe helping out another newby to the job, then tell me, but laughing at my ideas is not what this forum is for cat. Last time I checked it is about tricks of the trade, and if they are not tricks, then tell me.

Newline ,Don't get upset for me posting LOL...LOL, I am here to help any new guy or apprentice or lineman and some may or will help me ,we all learn from each other. What I was laughing at was at the bottom you said ENJOY, hell it was'nt like it was a Steak with A-1 on it,lighten up and your career will go farther. I am understanding and patient but some you work with won't be once they find out you're thin skinned, yea that is a trick of the trade too.You got that Cat ?